Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Captain Red

The biggest damn thing I've ever downloaded is...

after 15 houres, I just finished downloading Point of Exstance (at a hefty 1.41 GBs) for Battlefield Vietnam. only to find out I need to download another 337 MBs patch to play the damn thing. Grrrrrr.

so what's the biggest thing you've downloaded? and have you ever had a big fat download cock up on you, forcing you to give up or start all over?

A 6.5 gigabyte collection of all 26 episodes of Trigun. In OGM format.

Close second: The FarCry demo (weighing in at roughly 550 MB). And it only lasted me about half an hour after installing the extra mission (which was, in turn, another 30-some megs - and it didn't even work correctly).

Uhh... something that was 6 Gig. It's technically not legal, so I'm not going to say anything more.

When i had dial-up (56k) i did a 350mb file. i think it took like a week (quite an insane undertaking in its day) with cable about a 3gb file would be the largest so far.

But if you were to add up the file size of all current downloads at one time (my record) would have been easily 20-30gb of active downloads.

I would guestimate about 300gb of files that i have downloaded since i got cable internet a few years back (ive filled a few 120gb drives a couple times)

I just learned something new. When I browse files to download on Limewire, I automatically skip the ones that are like 100 mb in size, of course thinking there only fragments of the file. But somehow I downloaded a clip that says its only 300 mb in size(a video) and it ended up being nearly fifteen minutes long!

I recently downloaded Series 1-6 of the new Top gear.

25.6GB in one go.

Previously I've downloaded stuff in the 8-10GB range, DVD rips mostly.

Edit: Also when I was on 56k I downloaded THPS3 PC which was like 450mb or so.

Edit2: omgwarez.

baronofhell said:

I just learned something new. When I browse files to download on Limewire, I automatically skip the ones that are like 100 mb in size, of course thinking there only fragments of the file. But somehow I downloaded a clip that says its only 300 mb in size(a video) and it ended up being nearly fifteen minutes long!

You are a gargantuan retarded. Video files can be

a) REALLY VERY COMPRESSED. Like, 100k per minute. Crap quality but it can be done.
b) Ridiculously high bitrate/quality resulting in maybe 50MB per minute. Think of a DVD.
c) Anything in between.

OMG NEARLY FIFTEEN MINUTES LONG

I like how some people can be complete jack offs such as yourself and not get losered. Not everyone is a computer nerd. "REALLY VERY COMPRESSED"....who's the fucking retard???

baronofhell said:

I like how some people can be complete jack offs such as yourself and not get losered. Not everyone is a computer nerd. "REALLY VERY COMPRESSED"....who's the fucking retard???

How about I loser you instead.

Seriously, I don't think I deserve to be called a retard because I didn't know something. If I was to make that same reply you did to someone who was "ignorant" I would be losered. But a mod can do the same thing with no consequence. I don't think that's right that's all.

2.52 gigs - the whole Elfen Lied series (14 eps) on broadband.

About 650 mb on dial-up, Blood 2.

But a mod can do the same thing with no consequence.

So?

I don't think that's right that's all.

Well, then leave. While here, you must abide by the rules, which happens to state that staff "run this bitch". They can call you a "gigantoromic faggot" with impunity, well, unless you're not really being a "gigantonormic faggot".

baronofhell said:

Not everyone is a computer nerd.

But everyone here is. Deal with it. And the maths say that the clip your talking about is somewhere in pretty high quality. (20Mb/min)

All 54 episodes of Aqua Teen Hunger Force. about 5.6GB.

I will NEVER move anywhere where I can't get a cable modem or better.

Biggest would be World of Warcraft closed beta. And for the first few months of wow closed beta, whenever they patched, you had to delete everything and download it again, it was like 3 gigs each time IIRC.

Longest thing ever took to download is those doom albums made by ocremix.org, took a few days, wasn't worth it at all.

BBG said:

2.52 gigs - the whole Elfen Lied series (14 eps) on broadband.

14 episodes?? Crap. *checks files again*

My biggest file: probably Visual Studio 2005 from MSDN. With documentation and other things. I don't remember how large the download was, but it's taking up nearly 20G on my computer.

Largest thing I UPloaded was some .AVIs of my family's old home videos. "DVD quality". About 14G of .RAR files sitting around in GMail and no one in my family has a good enough connection to download them. Go figure.

Oh ok, so when I'm browing files to download off of limewire, the smaller ones are more likely to be of high quality? Well so far, that is the case, the videos are damn nice. Thanks!

It depends entirely on the method used to compress the video. A 5MB RealMedia encode of a movie file is not going to be higher quality than the same file encoded as a 15MB WMV.

Epyo said:

Biggest would be World of Warcraft closed beta. And for the first few months of wow closed beta, whenever they patched, you had to delete everything and download it again, it was like 3 gigs each time IIRC.

Longest thing ever took to download is those doom albums made by ocremix.org, took a few days, wasn't worth it at all.

I remember when my roommate would download the WoW beta patches. I could basically kiss my internet connection goodbye because he was using some bittorrent client that completely whored our bandwidth. Then he ended up getting hired by Blizzard to provide in-game technical support for WoW, and I didn't have to share my precious connection with him anymore, and there was much rejoicing.

13.1GB (roughly) via torrent. My beautiful Cardcaptor Sakura collection of all seasons 1, 2 and 3, movies 1 and 2 and the video diary all in one download. :D

Took quite a while, a few weeks, but I was the happiest hobbit alive when I got it. :D

Currently I am downloading a 14.something GB file I believe, but it's only been going for a week or two, still gots a way to go. :D

Episode 3 (750MB). Don't worry, I deleted it the day the DVD came out (I watched it twice in the theatre too), and bought the DVD from HMV.

BBG said:

Well, then leave. While here, you must abide by the rules, which happens to state that staff "run this bitch". They can call you a "gigantoromic faggot" with impunity, well, unless you're not really being a "gigantonormic faggot".

Heh, yeah. I've only been sworn at by the staff once, and that's because I really fucked up and accidentally bumped a year-old topic with a pointless joke.

icarus_soundtrack from tolwyn's site. All of 124 MB.

At least that was the biggest single file. Some batch downloads (e.g. whole archives) have been a fair bit bigger in total.

Captain Red said:

and have you ever had a big fat download cock up on you, forcing you to give up or start all over?

For anything sizable I use a download manager. Not too much can go wrong then.