Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Psyonisis

Chronicles of Narnia

Saw it tonight, I really enjoyed it. The animals and 3D effects were very well done and Jesus I mean Aslan was voiced and played exceptionally well.

Well, my first impression upon seeing the trailers (and the lackluster game adaptation) isn't too high - but I'll probably end up renting it when it comes out on DVD, just to see what's new about it.

It was really awesome, saw it last night. It felt as though there were parts sort of rushed along to fit into a 2.25 hour timespan (the beginning for instance). However, maybe that's how it happened in the books.

Also, maybe in the books the kid learned to be a master swordsman and take out minotaurs within a few days like it was cake.

But really, I liked it a lot and it was well worth my money

I cant spell u said:

AHAHAHAH. harry potter is betar.

Oh for Christ sake... I never thought I would live to see a doomer who likes that utter sh*t.

It was a good film. Every since Disney wanted to take on a more teen/adult approach they haven’t really disappointed much. Only flaw I had with the film was some of the 3D sequences and characters. For some reason 3D renderings seem to loose there contrast from the 3D on film rendering or something. Also the movie is so sequential, but it was a children’s book so it’s going to be a tad predictable at times.

Ralphis said:

It was really awesome, saw it last night. It felt as though there were parts sort of rushed along to fit into a 2.25 hour timespan (the beginning for instance). However, maybe that's how it happened in the books.

Also, maybe in the books the kid learned to be a master swordsman and take out minotaurs within a few days like it was cake.

But really, I liked it a lot and it was well worth my money

Actually, i can't really remember the kids training with their weapons a single time in the book. But, it was long ago since I read it, so I probably forgot about it. :/

BTW; anyone ever seen the animated version of the lion the witch and the wardrobe? It was on TV once, but I only saw maybe 2 seconds of it. :(

I actually liked it a lot. The only things that bugged me were a) the kids were crappy actors at first but they got better as it went along so it wasn't too bad, and b) Qui-Gon the lion? I wish they had gotten someone whose voice I didn't immediately recognize.

Linguica said:

b) Qui-Gon the lion? I wish they had gotten someone whose voice I didn't immediately recognize.

I am reminded of Gimli the Ent.

Linguica said:

b) Qui-Gon the lion? I wish they had gotten someone whose voice I didn't immediately recognize.

I thought about that at first, but I think Liam Neeson was a pretty good choice. Aslan needed a very humble and gentle voice, but also the ability to be powerful and strong. I'm sure there were other voices that would have provided an excellent voice for Aslan, but I feel like Neeson's voice worked well.

ellmo said:

Oh for Christ sake... I never thought I would live to see a doomer who likes that utter sh*t.

Believe it or not, Potter WAS better than this movie.

From what I have seen of it, the movie looks pretty good. I have read all the books.seems there have been alot of book based movies these past few years. Its like they ran out of original ideas, reminds me of a bumper sticker that said: don't judge a book by its movie.

I saw it on Friday and it was awesome. It was a perfect adaptation from the book, with few missing scenes and the only added scenes fit in really well for the most part. The only scene I didn't like was that stupid river scene that didn't make any sense. I didn't notice Liam Neeson's voice either.

Ralphis: There is a lot less in the beginning of the book. Basicaly everything that doesn't have anything to do with Narnia is skipped over. Those war scenes weren't in there for instance, only a mention that they were at the Professor's house because of the war. Also, they didn't get any downtime for sword practice in the book either. Pretty much as soon as the kids reach the Narnian camp, the Witch shows up and Aslan goes to the stone table that night.

I saw the movie and I loved it. I think they did an excellent job and I couldn't find any real flaws within the movie...but then again, I haven't read the books since I was a little kid.

It was a good film, perfectly pitched at its target audience - with all that entails.

It was a good painting of the magical world through the wardrobe and the minotaurs, cyclops, fawns and so on were believable to the same standard that the creatures in the LotR movies were.

I personally found myself a little frustrated at the start. I mean, we all know they are going to find a wardrobe and walk through it to a magical world beyond, so just get on with it. I don't need scenes of discovery and disbelief. However, to be fair, these are necessary and were dealt with quite well.

Sometimes the special effects were a bit shaky, but all in all it held together. Rather oddly, the fox was the only CGI creature that was given an overly stylised look, making him look more like he should be in a movie like Shrek rather than Narnia. There was also one scene where the children stood on a hilltop looking out over the land. It's the basic, easy special effect that people have been doing for decades of superimposing the kids onto a pre-filmed background, but it looked fake.

The central characters being children wasn't as painful as I expected. Generally they acted well (even the youngest one), all things considered, but (ultimately) neither they, nor their characters, were adult enough to make it visceral enough for me. I knew it was going to be that way (I have read the entire series). I'm not good at identifying with child characters as my heros. I don't even really like the whole hobbit or peck thing either that much.

The real neutering of the film, however, came with the violence. A PG rated film was always going to have this drawback. The battle is not to the scale of Helm's Deep or the battle of Pellinor Field but it is a medieval(ish)-style battle with sword wielding fantastical creatures crashing into each other. They charge at each other as gryphons drop rocks from above, they swing their swords, they cut each other down but nary a drop of blood is spilled. What's more, any really nasty or significant "up-close-and-personal" death happened as the camera cut away.

Don't get me wrong, it is a good movie. They did nothing wrong. It's one I'm glad I saw in the cinema because it was quite a spectacle at times. In some ways it filled in a lot of the fantasy gaps that LotR doesn't cover - Minotaurs, Cyclops, strange boar-beasts, satyrs, centaurs, fawns, gryphons, men and animals fighting side by side, and more - all done very nicely. However, it has the flaws that I expected that it would - the flaws that are actually only flaws from a "certain point of view" and things that were quite intentional and correct decisions by the film makers. I'd simply have preferred to see a cert. 18 version. Probably because I'm not 10 years old.

I saw the old ones, and I wont check out this one, I'm too sickened by the stupid christianity issue :( Why put christianity everywhere?? As if we haven't got enough of it... I say lets ban this SHIT, as christians sure find time to ban eveything that is not in their liking. This is PROPAGANDA TV.

The main thing I was not looking forward to was the fact that it was Disney, and like NJ said, it's PG.

However, since it's gotten a favorable review from most everybody here, I think it's work a look-see. Thanks for giving me hope when it comes to that bloated monster that used to make good movies.

i saw it with my bud last week. it was pretty good, but some in the stuff in it was just like "uh, ok whatever"... like Santa and whatnot. i never read the books and it was a bit childish for my tastes, but still pretty good.

my friend kept making fun of it throughout.

him: "oh man, this movie is so black metal! a land covered in winter, a palace of ice, a witch with an army of wolves!"

me: "...stfu."

Terrible movie. Very slow and goofy. I found myself laughing through alot of the parts

Also, Mr. Tumnus was a fucking pedo.

Kinkyfriend said:

I saw the old ones, and I wont check out this one, I'm too sickened by the stupid christianity issue :( Why put christianity everywhere?? As if we haven't got enough of it... I say lets ban this SHIT, as christians sure find time to ban eveything that is not in their liking. This is PROPAGANDA TV.

I hope you're joking.

If you're serious, why don't we ban just about 95% of literature written within the past few hundred years.

You seem to be pretty dumbasstic.