Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Koko Ricky

What mod is this?

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-3772519169013030867&q=doom

I found this video after searching for "Doom" on Google's video search, and it looked really interesting. It appears to be using Doom 64 graphics, with some really nice lighting effects. I can't tell what source port it is, though. There's "true" mlook, so it could be Doomsday, but the zombie soldiers aren't filtered, so I don't know. It looks pretty cool though, so maybe someone here can determine what this is from and post a link to the project.

EDIT: Now that I think about it, this might belong in the Wads and Mods section, but I'm not sure. Sorry if it's not in the right section.

Oh my. Looks like a good reason to buy a DS. Now is it from a developer, or is some person doing it all by himself? Either way, it looks pretty good.

It looks like even more frames were removed from the low-frame-count enemies from Doom64.

Bryant said:

Now is it from a developer, or is some person doing it all by himself?

It's not from a developer.

Really? How would I get it, from a download? I didn't know the DS would have that much on-line support.

Is this going to be developed on a cartridge? I don't get how you actually play the game. How do you get the files to your DS?

It's called a flash cart. You buy one, and you can transfer data to it and put it in your Nintendo DS

I hear it's gonna get harder to do this soon enough. I've heard rumours that the new mario Kart game upgrades the firmware where you cannot use flashcarts.

Now, getting the files to your DS, you can either modify your WIRELESS Card in your computer (provided that you have one) OR, as spork said, get a flashcart.

I think Nintendo should embrace the community for once. The Atari Community is still going, and it's 20+ years old already.

Looks interesting, nonetheless. Would it be illegal to get an emulator and then use it's a ROM, or is it just plain illegal transferring games to ROM format period?

In general, emulators are not illegal, and ROMs are only illegal if they are illegal copies of intellectual property.

Csonicgo said:

I hear it's gonna get harder to do this soon enough. I've heard rumours that the new mario Kart game upgrades the firmware where you cannot use flashcarts.

Foundless. Where would the Firmware upgrade come from and where would it be stored?

Grazza said:

In general, emulators are not illegal, and ROMs are only illegal if they are illegal copies of intellectual property.

So...it would be safe to get an EMU and get the ROM for this, or would the author not appreciate that or something? Because it doesn't seem like they'll be any actual cartridges for the game. Either way, I will want to come up with a way to get this.

Its not quite clear cut.

On the one hand because its a non-commercial homebrew game there is nothing at all illegal about playing the ROM in an EMU.

However, he is using ID's intellectual property and their artwork. This has no consequence for anyone who downloads it but I doubt ID will look to kindly on the developers.

If I was ID though I would be sending a cease & desist cleverly disguised as an offer to buy his engine (which looks quite impressive (even though the lighting looks to be mostly static) for the DS).

Excuse me gentlemen, can someone please tell me what is DS? I can't find any console with that letters.

It's the new Nintendo Gameboy DS. It's the one that has two screens (Duel Screen = DS.) You can use a little 'pen' (I forget the proper name) to touch the screens. It's really good with First Person Shooters, and that's why this game looks so promising.