Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
doomisfun

Try my level! I need some feedback.

I just completed this level and need some feedback and constructive critisism. The level itself is fairly challenging but short and can be finished in about 10 minutes. It can be found at aadoom.8m.com as well as a screenshot on the main page. I look forward to your replies and have fun playing!

I didn't finish the level, but here are a few things I think are worthy of a mention:

1. Nice details and such.
2. It's too cramped and difficult to dodge things in the beginning - I tried over and over to get through the first room without being whittled down to 5 health but never succeeded because the Imps kept boxing me in.
3. It's too difficult to tell what works and what doesn't. I tried using two out of the three face switches in the first room, and when I found that they did nothing, I didn't think to press the third one until wandering through the room for about half a minute. After hitting that switch, I attempted to use the wooden door on th left, and upon discovering that it wouldn't open (or else was not a door), I didn't bother trying the other because I assumed that it wouldn't work either. I spent another minute wandering that room until I found that I was, in fact, supposed to try the other door.

I'm sorry if this seemed too harsh a criticism (particularly point number 3) but these situations detract from the map's gameplay and make me want to switch the game off.

no that is not to harsh at all, in fact good critisism. The first room is supposed to be cramped but i know what you mean, some of the pillars and walls get you stuck. The door you couldnt open is activated inside the door you didnt bother opening. As for the first switch, you are right it needs to be more apparent. Thanks for the reply though.

I'm a fan of hard wads, so i'll give this a playthrough and see if I can get some feedback.

Note: It may be feedback on making it harder, not easier. :p

yeah, well it was my goal to make this a challenge, and I like close quarters battles so that is reflected. The idea at the outset was to make this the first level of a larger wad but we will see.

It was good. I think the difficulty ramped up way too fast tho. You go from popping zombies with a pistol to fighting off a big mob with the SSG at the end.

I was able to beat it w/o dying first try, and I haven't been playing much, plus I'm pretty tired. So it's not that tough. The last battle almost got me tho :P

hmmm... I dont know what that is about the download still works for me. Anyways keep the posts coming this is good stuff to know and thanks to anyone who has already replied.

Oh, and if there is a better way to post my wad someone let me know. Thanks

Works for me.

A nice map but I found it VERY tough. The problem I found was not enough strafing space in the first space and in the outdoor area. But then again, I am a below average player, skill wise.

The level is rather nice. Though it is not my style of level it is still put together rather well. The celtic patterns on the ceiling are really cool kudos on the ideas.

The cramped spaces are IMO a good thing..it adds to the difficulty in battles w/o adding dozens of monsters like lots of authors do. So good job so far.

it took me 6 minutes on UV to beat it so its average in length :)

BTW the song is "All Along the Watchtower" by Jimmy Hendrix. ;)

So wheres my cookie damn it :P

Ok, I have made a few alterations. I have changeed a few textures so that switches and inactive doors are more obvious to the player. Also, there are now difficulty setting for those who were having trouble with the difficulty, but keep in mind that this level was really meant to be played on Ultra-Violence.

Dark Shadow- Yay you are right. Ummm... your cookie is in the mail...
6-8 weeks.

I liked it. The criticisms are fair enough - the initial fight is a bit cramped and the face light/switches all looking the same when only one was actually a switch was annoying.

However, overall gameplay was quite good fun and reasonably challenging. The last fight was nasty - in a good way - and I really enjoyed putting my supershotgun to work on all the guys who appeared.

Not sure how long it took me to complete, but it wasn't very long. A reasonable length of map. Not too short, not too long.

Nice looking map too. Not particularly in my favourite kind of them, but that's just a personal choice thing.

I personally prefer a larger play area, but as an expansive level was clearly not a goal of this map, again that's just a personal choice thing.

I like your style. The brick architecture with the touches of tech are nice. Your map seemed longer than it really is (the player doesn't really end up covering that much ground), which I think is cool.

While the first and last fights are a little harder than the rest of the map, I think it's fine. If anything, you might want to tone down the last battle just a little, but veterans shouldn't have too much trouble with it. However, if this is going to be the first level of a bigger wad, I wouldn't recommend having so many of the Doom monsters in the very first map, but that's just me.

I think you may have fixed this already by one of your last posts, but if not, you might want to simply change the switch in the first room to the "off" texture and leave the two walls that look like switches as they are.

One little thing in case you missed it: the switch at the end doesn't quite line up. I think it just needs to be offset by a couple more pixels.

Overall, good level. I hope to see more of your work in the future.

Alright, I have updated the level once again changing a few things slightly around. This level is more playable now, although the difficulty has not changed. I am starting a small project with a few other maps, so consider this a demo. The level can still be found at aadoom.8m.com. Thanks again everyone.

i just thught id give it a shot before i went to bed, very cool. Although i didn't beat it, i kept barly surviving with 12health, then towards the end (i think) their were tons of imps, and the last on managed to get me. I'll have to try again tomorrow. I liked your switches, must have taken some time! goodjob.

Stealth