Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
pcorf

I think will be quiting wad designing

I will still continue play Doom, but I don't think I have any more ideas in making levels. I'm almost 24, much older than most of you mappers and now I think its time to move on.

I hope all of you people have enjoyed playing my wads over the past 9 years or so. I started way back in 1996. I have made more maps than anyone else in existance. All 32 of Twilight Zone, and all 32 of Twilight Zone 2, Most of 2002ADO, Most of the Death Tormention series (3 episodes), Simply Phobos, the list never ends.

And even though I announce this is the end, that can be no garuntee. I could work on something in the future. It all depends on how I feel. But I think its time to have a good break.

Too bad, really too bad. I'm 20 years now. I haven't released as much as you, not even close :) but i'm not planning to quit. Not for a long time. But hey, why don't you start editing for Doom3 now? :p

Heh, you think you're too old to map at 24? I'm 30 and still mapping :)

I do know that burn-out feeling very well though, and I've taken some long breaks myself in the past. Sometimes it helps to take a step back and let it rest for a while. In my experience, the urge to map and to create does return after some time.

Another thing I've found helpful sometimes is to change style or theme. Do something different! For example, near the end of the Darkening E2 project, it was really starting to feel like a drag. I got so fed up with it at one point that I started the Classic series and I rediscovered the fun in mapping.

Whatever you decide to do, best of luck!

Jan

Foofoo said:

meh, you'll come crawling back. :(

Indeed. Even though I'm not a mapper there were at least 3 times when I thought that Doom was history for me. It never lasted and a few months later I was back.

Cheers for you guy.

I plan to move on from Doom pretty soon myself. Got a new PC, able to run Doom 3, you see :-) I haven't decided whether my 2 planned projects will be for Doom 2 or 3. I'd like to leave an awesome legacy I can play in 10 years, aside from Xmas Doom.

Don't quit mapping because you think your too old, I am 28 right now and still enjoy making maps myself.
And I know alot of people here are younger than I am, and most of them can teach me a thing or two also.
The community loses an great mapper if you decide to leave, I say stay :)

gemini09 said:

Cheers for you guy.

I plan to move on from Doom pretty soon myself. Got a new PC, able to run Doom 3, you see :-)

So do I. But Doom 3 got kicked off after 3 days, Quake 4 after 2 weeks. Doom is still on it - as it has on my last 4 systems.

Quality of a game cannot be measured in visual effects.

Graf Zahl said:

Quality of a game cannot be measured in visual effects.

It's the size of a game's heart that counts, not the size of its textures.

Why does everyone feel the need to mention their age? Is there an age at which one is considered too old to map?

How very odd :)

I say that no one's ever too old to map. Just take a break like you said and the inspiration might come back after sometime.
Helps me when I work on my Duke3D projects (Or any projects infact). Hell, someone in the Duke community is in his 40's and released 3 maps for it and looks like he going to start his forth.

Graf Zahl said:

Indeed. Even though I'm not a mapper there were at least 3 times when I thought that Doom was history for me. It never lasted and a few months later I was back.

same here. hence my little sad smiley.

pcorf said:

But I think its time to have a good break.

Yeah man! Give those creative juices time to replenish themselves, work on something quietly, then come back with a smash-hit finished product!

I'm creating some classic-esque maps, in this 2005, and people say I have good ideas, meaning there has to be something new you can think of...someday.

Russell_P said:

Why does everyone feel the need to mention their age? Is there an age at which one is considered too old to map?

How very odd :)

I wasn't aware of this age thinghy either. :p

pcorf Maybe it'd be better if you decided to take a break rather than to stop mapping forever (leaves doors open) :) And how would you feel if all top mappers would just quit as they felt dried out?

Yeah, there are times when you just get distracted from DOOM and want to make mods for other games within the same generic category.
It happens & it's natural.
I go through this all the time.
Nothing to feel worried about. If you've done something before you're guaranteed to do it again later on.

Quitter: Hey, I'm quitting
Someone: Uh... okay

I don't understand "quitting" threads. If you're not going to make any more maps, just don't. We aren't under legal contract here that must be broken with a message; no one will sue you if you don't release more maps.

Maybe if I get back to wad designing. I might annoy you all with a stupid comedy wad.

Paul is allowed to make a quitting thread for all the work he's done! Thanks for all the great wads pcorf!

pcorf said:

Maybe if I get back to wad designing. I might annoy you all with a stupid comedy wad.

Better annoy is with a stupid level than annoying us by giving us the "You're too old, NEXT!!!" :)

I still might surprise you with one more new level. I am in the early planning stages of a very huge map for Doom2 which will be my final level if it goes through. Over 10000 linedefs pehaps. Something very damn big indeed.

I'm sure I'm going to release a special Zdoom megawad for Ultimate Doom containing 4 previously released episodes in 1 wad. They are Simply Phobos and the three Death Tormention episodes. Most of the levels in DT1 and DT2 are going to get a big facelift much like TWZONE.WAD for this special release.

pcorf said:

I still might surprise you with one more new level. I am in the early planning stages of a very huge map for Doom2 which will be my final level if it goes through. Over 10000 linedefs pehaps. Something very damn big indeed.

Does that make you drool then when I mention my biggest map ever, 28k linedefs?

Kinkyfriend said:

Does that make you drool then when I mention my biggest map ever, 28k linedefs?

How about 34k linedefs? Or 36k linedefs? That's the largest I have ever seen.