Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Ezxariarch

How do I make custom Doombuilder game type files?

I'm working on a mod that has a lot of new monsters, weapons, and items. So I wanted to add them to Doombuilder's Zdoom-Doom in Hexen format configuration file. However, when I did and saved it and ran Doombuilder, I wouldnt be able to select the Game configuration anymore (it wouldn't show up). Did I do something wrong?

Did I do something wrong?

Obviously. ;)

Also, I wouldn't directly edit the "ZDoom (Doom in Hexen format)" cfg if I were you. Just make a copy of it, and use that instead.

First thing after you copy it, you should give it a new name, say "Ezxariarch.cfg".

Then open it up in notepad.

Find the lines that say:

// This is the title to show for this game
game = "ZDoom (Doom in Hexen format)";
and change it to:
// This is the title to show for this game
game = "Ezxariarch";
Now save it.

When you open up DB, you should find it in the game configuration under "Ezxariarch".

Then you can use notepad to add in your monsters, etc. were they are needed. Be sure to use proper syntax though! ;)

I did all these thigns you say, and used all proper syntaxes (i'm pretty sure) but still, the configuration wont show up. I'll go try again.

Well, if you can't get it working, then upload whatever you have so far to rapidshare or bigupload or something

Then post a link to it in this thread, and I'll take a look at it.

Do you mean I have to first rename the file load the editor, open that conficuration file, than close the editor, THEN add in the custom stuff? Or can I rename and add in the stuff at the start?

You can add it all at the start if you want, however, it makes it harder for you to figure out where your problem lies.

The best way to do it is in steps. Do a little bit, test it in DB, do a little more, test it in DB again, etc.

This way you can narrow down your problem area/s.