Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
duncan

The /newstuff Chronicles #258

A belated welcome (my fault entirely) to your latest newstuff, which contains a few DM maps and arcade games along with a handful of decent and not so decent single player and miscellaneous offerings. As this will be the last time I post something until the new year with newstuff, I'll wish everyone a great Christmas and a prosperous New Year. Enjoy!

• Congestion 1024 - Various
    Boom compatible - Solo Play - 3671 KB - (img) (img) (img) (img)
    This is a refreshing 32 map compilation, featuring levels no larger than 1024x1024, and it is a resounding success. Most maps build up around themselves, either allowing the level to go in a full circle, or allowing the player to climb higher to lengthen the level as far as possible. Naturally, the levels are short and they are certainly sweet, with a variation of themes and difficulties so that any Doom player can find something they like inside. Detail is used effectively and, obviously, a vast percentage of the gameplay takes part in close quarters, making many of the fights intense and gripping. Definitely worth playing!

• Congestion: 64 - 1337 Doomer
    doom2.exe - Solo Play - 13 KB
    Well, I’ll give this mapset one point--it did make me learn something about myself. Namely that I’m a complete sadass as I actually played through all 32! I’d suggest sticking to 1024 for Doom--but for 2 minutes of pointlessness to pass by your time, then this is your best bet.

• Br Doom - Logan MTM
    doom2.exe - Solo Play - 782 KB - (img)
    Well, the first ever Brazilian map--and it’s not too bad. Some of the areas are quite nice looking. Gameplay can be a bit over the top sometimes, with rooms crammed full of mancubi and hell knights and nothing in terms of detail, and gameplay proves linear at most times. A good start, however--and certainly the best wad ever to come from Brazil! ;)

• Carpodeathia - Piotr Tomaszewski
    doom2.exe - Deathmatch - 32 KB - (img)
    A small single DM map that’s nothing different or out of the ordinary. Could be fun with a couple of multiplayer whizzes, but the longevity prospect of this is virtually non-existent. To make a DM map stand out and be played, it needs to be different and highly playable for a long time--this, while not a badly formed map, will most likely sink without a trace.

• Divine Intervention 2 - Fiend
    EDGE - n/a - 1189 KB
    An improvement on the original weapon set which, for those who like that kind of thing, I’m sure will be a worthwhile download. Personally, due to my long running feud with Edge, I was unable to open this. But I’ve provided the link anyway!

• The Works Of Dominion - Dominion and buddies
    doom2.exe - Deathmatch - 1024 KB - (img) (img)
    Most will have seen these levels before. They are 17 DM maps (the last two looking like levels, the rest not) which all look remarkably similar to eachother. However, while the levels are bland, and at times bad, they do capture the environment for deathmatch gameplay--except for the easiness of getting the BFG, which I despise in any DM.

• Doom Arena - John D Corrado
    Limit Removing - Deathmatch - 64 KB - (img)
    This DM map is exaggeratedly big. It involves a large arena surrounded by statues of Doom monsters. The level isn’t particularly pretty and is far too big to provide an enjoyable DM session.

• Hell Gate - John Cartwright
    doom2.exe - Solo Play - 33 KB - (img)
    Some rooms--and hordes of monsters--great!

• IIWPack - Chromen
    Limit Removing - n/a - 843 KB
    Some replacement sounds and weapons. Fair effort.

• Jalla Xmas - Ivar Remoy
    Limit Removing - Solo Play - 49 KB
    A nice festive game! See how long you can survive!

• Jalla Xmus - Ivar Remoy
    doom2.exe - n/a - 1290 KB
    The music to accompany Jalla Xmas.

• Pagan's Run - Andrew Apted
    Limit Removing - Solo Play - 153 KB - (img)
    Another arcade style game for fun! Run through crowded passageway chased by cyb rockets, revenant bombs and viles’ flames! Never have zombiemen been so frustrating!! RUUUUUUNNN!!!!!!

• Selfish X-Former - Paul Corfiatis
    doom.exe - Solo Play - 74 KB - (img) (img)
    This small but decent offering incorporates E1 and E2 style areas into a map to capture the atmosphere and feeling of the original Doom. This is achieved successfully, and the gameplay provides an adequate yet comfortable challenge.

• Wow 2 - DSM
    doom2.exe - Solo Play - 11 KB - (img)
    Sigh--long awaited by who exactly? Two identical levels, one with a spiderdemon and BFG and one with a cyberdemon and BFG with added extras. At least there’s no illusio-pit.

• ZDaemon CTF Map Pack 3 - Various
    ZDaemon - CTF - 2396 KB - (img) (img) (img)
    Well I must say, I’ve had a good old bash with these on the ZDaemon server, and it’s great fun! As always, the levels are superb, and the add on has formed a legendary CTF level set that will rarely become tiresome. Fabulous!

A couple of things:

• BrDoom isn't the first wad from Brazil.
  • Congestion 1024 requires a Boom-compatible port.

nothing really intresting this week either, except ofcource skulltagCFTpack and that 1024 contest wad, but i had already played that one...

Grazza said:

• BrDoom isn't the first wad from Brazil.
  • Congestion 1024 requires a Boom-compatible port.

• The text file claims it is, but heh, who really cares?
  • I'll change this in a second.

duncan said:

Namely that I’m a complete sadass as I actually played through all 32!

Heh, I did that too and rather strangley, I found it quite compelling and even quite inventive as it went along. Sort of.

There was one level I couldn't complete. I don't remember which one it was but I think the door needed a key but I couldn't find it (I know, I know). I used IDDT on the automap and it looked like there was another item on the map right beside me but I couldn't see it in the game screen or pick it up. This happened in GZdoom and, frankly, I couldn't be bothered to check the map in the editor or another port to see what might be wrong.

lol fifth post!

I played all of this shit last week, when it was cool. And no NimRod:Project Doom review?

What's up with Paul Corfiatis' little outburst in the review section of Selfish X-Former? It was an average level and as such I gave it 3 stars. Hasn't he ever gotten any even mildly negative critisism? Well, probably not :-)

Congestion 1024 wins the week!

It's one of those WADs that's really nice and refreshing to play after trudging through a map with 10000 sectors.

Oh my God... I can't believe someone made 'WOW 2'... I have one question about that .wad, though - Where the heck is the illusio-pit!? It's not true to WOW.wad if there's no illusio-pit!

Anyways, Congestion 1024 r teh win.

Skul said:

Oh my God... I can't believe someone made 'WOW 2'... I have one question about that .wad, though - Where the heck is the illusio-pit!? It's not true to WOW.wad if there's no illusio-pit!

Anyways, Congestion 1024 r teh win.

My rendition of wow.wad is much, much better...it has an illusio-pit, but no HOM effect, thank goodness. It's kind of a funny thing, the way I made it.

Don't worry, it's not a single release...it's a secret level instead.

Yeah, it's not wow without the illusio-pit. Jimi should amend that and reupload.

-_DLD_- said:

My rendition of wow.wad is much, much better...it has an illusio-pit, but no HOM effect, thank goodness. It's kind of a funny thing, the way I made it.

How does it compare to my attempt?

The thing just blew out of my hands with awesome details, but I'll fix it with the super illusio pit... ... ...

It will be so illusionary it will blow out your minds from your heads and it's much more hallucinating than acid soup with magick mushrooms.

Grazza said:

How does it compare to my attempt?

Your attempt rules. It's so bugged to death, heh. Mine doesn't have any errors in it, but it's very similar to wow.wad. Agent Spork called it "The Best Map Ever".

Maybe someone should make an episode out of crappy wow-type maps. Starting off (or maybe finishing) with wow.wad itself. Other maps would be called things like wtf.wad, omg.wad, rofl.wad and maybe even omgwtfbbq.wad.

Who's up for the 'challenge'?

Just take mockery.wad and tack wow.wad, wow2.wad, and other such atrocities on it to make it 32 levels.

There's more than enough shit wads out there to make us want to gouge our eyes out, so there's no need to add yet more of them to the pool.

Why people even release such pieces of crap is beyond me, except for good mappers doing it as an intentional joke.

I'd never release something like that, even if I did make it on purpose...unless it was a secret level in a decent megawad.

duncan said:

Divine Intervention 2 - Fiend
EDGE - n/a - 1189 KB
An improvement on the original weapon set which, for those who like that kind of thing, I’m sure will be a worthwhile download. Personally, due to my long running feud with Edge, I was unable to open this.

I'm very surprised by that comment since the latest EDGE releases are rock-solid, even for people like me who have a long tradition of problems with EDGE. I assume you're using the latest RC release, right? Are you telling me all three builds crash on you?

MAP32 of the 1024 WAD crashes Eternity. I'm using the 3.33.02 "Warrior" build, and I think it's the latest, and it crashes when I suicide into the void.

And wow, what a difference a year or two makes. Back then, I wasn't 100% sure that ZDaemon CTF would see the light of day, it now has a megawad's worth of content and it's one of the most popular maps on ZDaemon, period. Even though Part 3 was handled by people other than myself (though I did make two maps for it), it's no less of an awesome achivement.

duncan said:

Br Doom[/b] - Logan MTM
doom2.exe - Solo Play - 782 KB - (img)
Well, the first ever Brazilian map--and it’s not too bad. Some of the areas are quite nice looking. Gameplay can be a bit over the top sometimes, with rooms crammed full of mancubi and hell knights and nothing in terms of detail, and gameplay proves linear at most times. A good start, however--and certainly the best wad ever to come from Brazil! ;)

Correct me if I'm wrong, man, but doesn't Daniel, author of titles like 'ARMAS DE JOGOS (Game Weapons)', 'Female DOOM' and 'Neo DOOM' among several others, come from Brazil?

Ariel.

TheDarkArchon said:

duncan - next time you're doing t/nc and there's a EDGE wad, PM me and I'll do it.

Thank you, that would be a great help

To be truly honest, I'm lost with EDGE. I'm not at all technically minded and am therefore unaware which versions are out and which aren't due to my inability to function it as a whole.
Heh, I guess I'm just stupid :(