Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Kinkyfriend

Which game is by far most overrated?

Which one of these overrated games do you find most overrated?  

74 members have voted

1. 1. Which one of these overrated games do you find most overrated?

• Quake 2
    • Halflife
    • Halflife 2
    • Halo
    • Halo 2
    • GTA 3
    • GTA - Vice City
    • GTA - San Andreas
    • Doom 3
    • Wolfenstein 3D
    • other
    • Serious Sam 2
    • Counterstrike

Halo 2 killed the last LAN party I went to. Everybody wanted to play Halo so there were maybe 5 people playing PC games.

Halo and Half-Life 2 tie the overration part for me.

The GTA games actually deserve it's kudos for being one of the only open-ended games in this day and age, IMO.

Quake 3 is the most overrated. It really didn't add anything to the series besides flair. Q2 had better gameplay dynamics.

Bucket said:

Quake 3 is the most overrated. It really didn't add anything to the series besides flair. Q2 had better gameplay dynamics.

Quake 3 added a lot to the modding scene, and many pulled off Quake 3 as a killer of the series because of the "MP only", Other than that fact, it still remains a brilliant game. The dynamics is a big difference over Quake 2. Quake 2 were an update of Quake 1 while they sadly didn't add anything that made Quake 1 good. Also, quake 3 felt way much more like Quake 1 than Quake 2.

Define "overrated". It strikes me as not a very useful term.

It generally seems to come down to "I liked this less than I believe most other people did". Or that someone earnestly believes that the people who like something are objectively wrong to do so.

Halo 1&2. I still dont know what the big deal is. Sure they are good console shoots but they are no ware nere Golden Eye or Perfect Dark.
The Half-Life games are good but they are way over rated.

That's a matter of opinion, I LOVED Halo, and never liked any of the goldeneye games. Doom 3 is my most overrated game. Not scary at all, quite chessy actually.

Grazza said:

Define "overrated".

It generally seems to come down to "I liked this less than I believe most other people did". Or that someone earnestly believes that the people who like something are objectively wrong to do so.

It does not mean they are wrong to like a game, they just may happen to be wrong in them saying how good it really is for when it was done etc.

Plz don't come with the bullshit "We all have different opinions, thus you can't calculate how good something is objectively"... I've had enough of that already, going with that line then we should stop saying we know that we are not blind because we might just as well be, or that we know nothing in particular... We have a system, we have a community based upon the idea that everything is not relatively even if it is. And that's the way to go, cause otherwise we may just as well close the doors to thousands of schools becau'se its all a theory anyway.

let's measure by facts, an overrated game is something that does not live up to it's hype, that does not live up to it's potentional. That just doesn't work out as good as some may think it does.

For instance, When you review a game, you do not review it upon your own ideals or your opinions. You review it objectively, thus saying a nes game can recieve fair and square in 2005 a 10/10 by graphics while a 10-thousands-of-times better-looking game for xbox 360 would only get a 3/10. Why? because the Xbox 360 game doesn't look as good as what the x360 can run. But the NES one used all of what can be achieved.

Back when I was in high school, pretty much everybody worshipped Halo as the best damn game ever, bar none. I suggested to them, "Hey, what about Half-Life?"

"No, Half-Life's multiplayer sucks."

"Quake 3?"

"Quake 3's multiplayer sucks."

"What about Unreal Tournament then?"

"That is SUCH a Halo rip-off!"

And so on. I finally got the chance to play Halo when the PC version came out, and I constantly said to myself, "What the hell's the big deal?" Even when I played it online, Halo gave me no new experiences or improvements over old ones. Gameplay felt too slow compared to my favorite Quake 3, the weapons were not balanced very well (the assault rifle, for example, was utterly worthless), and the vehicles lying around some of the maps usually tipped the scales unfavorably (since being on foot pretty much guarantees your death if there's a vehicle being used).

So in the end, Halo isn't, and will never be, the best damn game ever. If I want a good single-player game, there's always Half-Life or Half-Life 2. If it's multiplayer I'm after, Quake 3 will prevail.

WildWeasel said:

Back when I was in high school, pretty much everybody worshipped Halo as the best damn game ever, bar none. I suggested to them, "Hey, what about Half-Life?"

"No, Half-Life's multiplayer sucks."

"Quake 3?"

"Quake 3's multiplayer sucks."

"What about Unreal Tournament then?"

"That is SUCH a Halo rip-off!"

And so on. I finally got the chance to play Halo when the PC version came out, and I constantly said to myself, "What the hell's the big deal?" Even when I played it online, Halo gave me no new experiences or improvements over old ones. Gameplay felt too slow compared to my favorite Quake 3, the weapons were not balanced very well (the assault rifle, for example, was utterly worthless), and the vehicles lying around some of the maps usually tipped the scales unfavorably (since being on foot pretty much guarantees your death if there's a vehicle being used).

So in the end, Halo isn't, and will never be, the best damn game ever. If I want a good single-player game, there's always Half-Life or Half-Life 2. If it's multiplayer I'm after, Quake 3 will prevail.

Lmao thinking that it's obvious even if Bungie said no to this, that Halo does follow Marathon a little, but it's only worse in my opinion. Plus it's obvious the Halo player is a copycat of Doom Player... And the fact that Halo COPIED off unreal at many departments..

Apparently Half-Life is the best PC game ever made but I gave up about half way through due to boredom.

Fredrik said:

Apparently Half-Life is the best PC game ever made but I gave up about half way through due to boredom.

Same here.

For me the most overated game of all time is Halo 2.

Halo 1. I only played one level, but the controls were too awkward to do just about anything. Having to use two control sticks, one to move and one to look around, reminds me of Doom's standard controls (Shift to strafe, UDLR to move and the mouse to look around), which are too cumbersome for me. The level I played didn't seem all that special (it seemed too much like your average OH NO SHIP IS EXPLODING WOW THAT PIECE OF THE SHIP BLEW UP JUST AS YOU GOT AWAY FROM IT THAT WAS CLOSE level), and the only redeeming factor was the enemy's AI. After playing games like Doom for god-knows how long, actaully seeing enemies take cover was neat, but not something that'd make the game top ten material.

How can Doom3 be overrated when barely anyone seem to like it?

Anyway, I voted HL2 since I haven't played Halo or GTA.

I should probably have voted Fear, but I didn't.

kristus said:

How can Doom3 be overrated when barely anyone seem to like it?

Anyway, I voted HL2 since I haven't played Halo or GTA.

I should probably have voted Fear, but I didn't.

I was quite asking myself that afterwards. So my bad. I can't agree on F.E.A.R
It's a great but also flawed game and is by far not the most overhyped/overrated title.

Halo was "doomed" to be shot down because it was hyped so much by all the xbox users, and when everyone else came to check it out with their expectations set ridiculously high, it was certain to disappoint. I bought the box the weekend it came out along with halo. It was the first time in a long time I played a game for hours and hours. You can't compare Halo pc to the xbox version, because it just feels different. I downloaded the demo for halo pc and it just wasn't the same. But I don't care for the halo multiplayer because I refuse to pay for xbox live, and plus your character runs to slow anyway.

P.S. Playing halo on legendary is a completely different experience, the A.I. improves at this level

Kinkyfriend said:

Quake 3 added a lot to the modding scene, and many pulled off Quake 3 as a killer of the series because of the "MP only", Other than that fact, it still remains a brilliant game. The dynamics is a big difference over Quake 2. Quake 2 were an update of Quake 1 while they sadly didn't add anything that made Quake 1 good. Also, quake 3 felt way much more like Quake 1 than Quake 2.

That's nice.

You asked me my opinion of "most overrated game".

I can't decide between the three GTA games, the two Half-Life games, and the two Halo games. So I choose all seven of them.

Then again, I could also mention Tekken...

Grazza said:

Define "overrated". It strikes me as not a very useful term.

That is the problem. People (I suspect) will be voting which game they thought was the "suckiest". Not which one was rated/hyped more highly that it delivered compared to the others.

It won't come as a huge surprise for people to learn that I am (currently) the sole Doom3 vote. Yes, I think the game was pretty crap. However, that alone is not enough for it to be overrated. The fact that it promised so much. The fact that every man and his dog was telling the world that it was going to be the best game ever. The fact that it flew off the shelves like no-ones business. The fact that gaming magazines had all hyped it and reviewed it (often without even seeing it). The fact that for years we'd had sneak previews and leaks. And then it turned out to be (at best) a mediocre game in an advanced engine. That makes it over rated.

If I hadn't gone for Doom3, I'd have picked a GTA game. I personally find them pretty weak, dull, repetitive games. Not bad, just dull, but the level of hype they get implies they are amazing games. That means (from my perspective at least) they are highly over rated too.

I've enjoyed every game on the list (except Halo 2 which I havent played). But I chose Halo since, although I didnt hate it, I didnt understand what the big deal was.

Bloodshedder said:
If we're talking about "overrated" games, why isn't Daikatana on this list?

If we're talking in the present tense, then maybe it could come out as the most trashed... but it isn't rated highly nowadays.

The games on the poll are all overrated, except maybe Wolfenstein 3D, but I'm voting Half-Life since it was presented as a breakthrough game by third parties and I found it mediocre, adding elements I dislike to the FPS gerne.

Call of duty. that game was a real chore at times.

counter strike deserves a mention also. yeah, it's fun at times, but it dose not deserve to be legendary. It pisses me off because it's all my friends want to play at LAN. Honestly, it's this generations Mortal Kombat

I got bored of PC halo, but I never played Xbox halo, which is the version everybody praised, so it's not fair for me to cast a vote for it.

Half-Life is easily the most overrated game by far. Critics said the game was so great and innovative (PC Gamer named it the best PC game ever made), but I have no idea how. I played through the whole game, and saw nothing great or innovative at all.

Fredrik said:

I gave up because I couldn't figure out how to defeat those giant, green, tentacle-resembling mutant plants that grew out of the floor in this one lab area.
So basically I also played it half-way through and got tired when I ran out of ideas on how to kill those weird things.