Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Remilia Scarlet

Heavy Metal Suggestions

i like dragonforce, which is powermetal. black metal and death metal annoy me. i like metal which sounds like a crappy D+D ripoff book being screamed to a heavy beat with awesome 160 second guitar solos. Like Fury Of The Storm by Dragonforce :P

TomD666 said:

No, because you categorize the genre as "screaming", which I highly disagree with

RAWAOOAAAAH ROWAAAAAAH *Thrash* *Thrash* *Thrash* *Thrash*

baronofhell said:

As a matter of my own personal opinion, I can't understand how anyone can listen to that screaming on a regular basis. Korn, Tool, NIN, that's as far as I'll go.

I can take screaming to a certain extent, but only from certain bands. Slayer is pretty good, and Slipknot's Iowa is something I like to listen to when I'm pissed. But when it comes to the deep growling voices, like in Opeth, it's an instant turn-off. Now, electronically distorted voices like that which are found in bands such as Funker Vogt is sweet. But I don't list Funker Vogt as being even close to anything metal; they're pure modern Industrial.

The higher-pitched, border-line screaming of bands like Iron Maiden, AC/DC, and people like Halford...that's another story. That is the definitive "heavy" metal voice, IMO.

TomD666 said:

No Rammstein are not German Metal, more like shitty Industrial rock with metal influences. Also, I despise SOAD in every way - The music isn't really nu-metal, more alternative metal but has about the same musical talent as nu-metal :P

I dare you to list some of the bands you like if you think System of a Down has no musical talent; progressive music is complicated shit.

Rammstein is also not really industrial metal, and as a matter of fact, B-side release aside, they're starting to become more progressive, and are leaning towards rock as opposed to metal. And they're a brilliant satire band. But I didn't list them for obcious reasons, and whomever did isn't paying attention to the thread - and the same goes for anyone who mentions Korn or Tool.

Haruko's clearly shown he's into power metal - which neither Rammstein, Korn nor Tool represent.

DJ_Haruko said:

But I don't list Funker Vogt as being even close to anything metal; they're pure modern Industrial.

it's clear you know as much about industrial as you do about metal!

Heavy Metal Suggestions

Lead is a bluish-white lustrous metal. It is very soft, highly malleable, ductile, and a relatively poor conductor of electricity. It is very resistant to corrosion but tarnishes upon exposure to air. Lead pipes bearing the insignia of Roman emperors, used as drains from the baths, are still in service. Alloys include pewter and solder. Tetraethyl lead (PbEt4) is still used in some grades of petrol (gasoline) but is being phased out on environmental grounds.

It is available in several forms including foil, granules, ingots, powder, rod, shot, sheet, and wire. Small and large samples of lead foil, sheet, and wire (and lead alloy in ingot form).

Liam said:

it's clear you know as much about industrial as you do about metal!

My sarcasm sensor is broken tonight. Are you being serious? I can't hear a single guitar in Funker Vogt.

Captain Red said:

Lead is a bluish-white lustrous metal. It is very soft, highly malleable, ductile, and a relatively poor conductor of electricity. It is very resistant to corrosion but tarnishes upon exposure to air. Lead pipes bearing the insignia of Roman emperors, used as drains from the baths, are still in service. Alloys include pewter and solder. Tetraethyl lead (PbEt4) is still used in some grades of petrol (gasoline) but is being phased out on environmental grounds.

It is available in several forms including foil, granules, ingots, powder, rod, shot, sheet, and wire. Small and large samples of lead foil, sheet, and wire (and lead alloy in ingot form).

Thank you very much for the info.

OK, singing metal and progressive metal:
Nightwish (I don’t like Once), Sonata arctica (Zappa fans), Bathory (when he sings battle metal), Black sabbath, Iron maiden, Dream theater, Judas priest, Vanden plas.

Captain Red said:

Best suggestion yet.

Oh, and I have one to add myself: Apocalyptica. They're three classically trained celloists...who play metal on cellos (they started with Metallica covers). Including distorted cellos. Their 2005, self-titled album is wicked. The sound of a cello actually sounds very, very good when played the way they do.

TomD666 said:

Dark Funeral are hilarious, yes :) As is alot of black metal. I find it good music, but the image.. gawd

They are just trying to copy of all the Black Circle bands. The whole "corpse paint" thing started during the church burning in Norway. Most of the church burners would ware make up when they burn a church and on stage hoping that the cops wouldnt recognize them. It worked most of the time. Since all us Norwegians tend to be some what tall and pale.With a face full of make up in a large crowded its harder to tell ya appart if 90% of the people around you are painted.

Some bands befor the Black Circle did it but it realy took off dunring
the rise of Mayhem, Darkthrone, ect.

Rotting Corpse said:

The whole "corpse paint" thing started during the church burning in Norway.

Huh? I thought it started with Kiss, King Diamond or Alice Cooper.
I add Masterplan to the list.

No, he's talking about these really freaky Swedish guys who used to perform ritualistic killings :P

Er, norwegian guys you mean.

pilottobombadier said:

I dare you to list some of the bands you like if you think System of a Down has no musical talent; progressive music is complicated shit.

Okay. Suffocation, Cryptopsy, Nile, Behemoth, Vital Remains, Atheist, Cynic, Death, Gorguts,Cephalic Carnage and Origin are some nice bands here. Especially Cryptopsy, grab Once Was Not and bask your face in the awesomeness of it. Also, Origin just makes me go "HOLY HSITHGI" whenever I listen to it. Seriously. Also, some of Edge of Sanity's albums could fit the term of progressive death metal (such as Crimson I and II.)

And of course, Rust In Peace by Megadeth and the last three albums of Dark Angel could fit the genre of technical thrash. Possibly.

Nice to see that Tom has taken over my job (that is, bitching to the retards that shit bands are, in fact, shit.)

I'm only going to suggest one band that I'm sure you will like: Blind Guardian. Normally I don't listen to such fruity metal, but their Nightfall In Middle-Earth album is fucking excellent.

Here are a bunch of bands that rule but you probably won't like: Tartaros, Anaal Nathrakh, Torture Squad, Mr. Bungle, Mysticum, Bal-Sagoth, Cynic, Ulver, Windir.

PS. SOAD IS NOT METAL. GET THE FUCK OVER IT

TomD666 said:

Er, norwegian guys you mean.

Okay. Suffocation, Cryptopsy, Nile, Behemoth, Vital Remains, Atheist, Cynic, Death, Gorguts,Cephalic Carnage and Origin are some nice bands here. Especially Cryptopsy, grab Once Was Not and bask your face in the awesomeness of it. Also, Origin just makes me go "HOLY HSITHGI" whenever I listen to it. Seriously. Also, some of Edge of Sanity's albums could fit the term of progressive death metal (such as Crimson I and II.)

And of course, Rust In Peace by Megadeth and the last three albums of Dark Angel could fit the genre of technical thrash. Possibly.

Oh, death and black metal. Not my cup of tea; I think it all sounds like a bunch of morons growling into a microphone. I don't give a shit how good the guitar sound.

Anyway, System of a Down isn't my thing, but your argument still doesn't stand.

The closest I'll get to death metal is Testament, and i can assure you, The Gathering, despite the fact that it is nearly 7 years old, blows all of that shit out of the water.

WTF?

Do you have any idea what you're saying?

Anyway, Cynic rule. Too bad they split up with just one (awesome) album.

DJ_Haruko said:

The higher-pitched, border-line screaming of bands like Iron Maiden, AC/DC, and people like Halford...that's another story. That is the definitive "heavy" metal voice, IMO.

Then allow me to bring up Mercyful Fate and King Diamond again!

Other bands I haven't seen listed yet are Blind Guardian, Demons & Wizards, Yngwie Malmsteen, Children of Bodom, Dio, and Beseech.

I'll also go ahead and pimp Iced Earth's name again, if you like Iron Maiden a lot.

If you're enjoying Pantera, I'd suggest getting their Cowboys From Hell album, as it's practically THE Pantera album.

For Judas Priest, I'd suggest looking into Screaming For Vengance and Defenders Of The Faith; those being the albums they made their name from as well.

pilottobombadier said:

They'd better not. Some people claim that Meshuggah's prog-metal :| Nu-metal shit, all the way.

lol

some suggestions for you.

blind guardian - nightfall on middle earth (epic power metal)
slayer - reign in blood (thrash)
pantera - far beyond driven (if you thought VDoP was hard...)
amon amarth - versus the world (viking death metal)
mayhem - de mysteriis dom sathanus (black metal perrenial fave)
kreator - coma of souls (swedish death metal)
malevolent creation - retribution (new york death metal)
mortician - hacked up for barbecue (new york grindcore/death metal)
cannibal corpse - butchered at birth (new york death metal)

I could name a thousand more bands/albums, but I'll instead direct you to bnrmetal.com. it's a great database featuring metal by genre. each band is listed with current and former members, full discography, current status, review of band, and relevant links.

I'd have to recommend Bloodbath and The Red Chord (if you don't mind screaming).

I personally can't stand most metal singers-- the ones who hit squealy high notes. It just saps any evidence of testosterone the music potentially had. Dream Theater's singer is the only one I'll tolerate, and only because the instrumentals are so damn good.

"kreator - coma of souls (swedish death metal)"

hahaaahahaha lololol

If you want a good database of music, check out metal-archives.com and such. bnrmetal.com is useful to see how the lineup for certain bands changes over each album.

Also, yeah, Testament is some fantastic thrash, gotta agree with that. But I still think SOAD is overrated shit, and you can't change my opinion with that. :D

It certainly twas. Though it did seem like melodeath/thrash at parts, but I'm not complaining, since i like Melodic Death. Anyway - it's a great album.