Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Remilia Scarlet

Heavy Metal Suggestions

kreator is early death metal, but you can also call them thrash. and they said they were from sweden when I saw them live, thats why I referenced them as being from sweden.

VileSlay said:

some suggestions for you.

*blind guardian - nightfall on middle earth (epic power metal)
*slayer - reign in blood (thrash)
pantera - far beyond driven (if you thought VDoP was hard...)
amon amarth - versus the world (viking death metal)
mayhem - de mysteriis dom sathanus (black metal perrenial fave)
kreator - coma of souls (swedish death metal)
malevolent creation - retribution (new york death metal)
mortician - hacked up for barbecue (new york grindcore/death metal)
cannibal corpse - butchered at birth (new york death metal)

All of these albums/bands (bar those marked with an asterisk) are completely inappropriate for this discussion. Also, "de mysteriis dom sathanus[sic]" is an extremely overrated album that is of no musical significance.

Zaldron said:

This genre has the stupidest band names ever, I don't even want to take a look at the tracklists.

YEAH BECAUSE OBVIOUSLY THE MUSIC IS SHIT IF THE BANDS HAVE DUMB NAMES

ps: check out Holy Moses

i'll admit I sort of lose a bit of respect when I hear some generic combination of mispelled gothic words combined in unnatural ways. if the music is good fine, I guess, but I mean you cant deny some of the names are way too cliche.

That was in itself a stupid comment; what's "this gerne", and what gernes have cool or smart band names anyway?

destx said:

All of these albums/bands (bar those marked with an asterisk) are completely inappropriate for this discussion.

how are they inappropriate to the discussion? DJ_Haruko asked for suggestions of metal albums to listen to. these are all metal albums that are good. thats not just my opinion either. I'm not gonna quibble over the mayhem comment because you are entitled to that opinion.

VileSlay said:

how are they inappropriate to the discussion? DJ_Haruko asked for suggestions of metal albums to listen to.

He asked for heavy metal, not for death, grind, black, nu metal. Am I wrong?

okay so he asked for heavy metal. I figured maybe since there were others making suggestions of different genres of metal, including death, thrash and black, and seeing as how he was looking for pantera originally, I would throw in some artist/titles of different genres in effort to expand haruko's metal experience.

I also kinda wondered why I was quoted when others who suggested metal of other genres weren't.

sounds like you into the NWOBHM sound and/or power metal perhaps. i suggest Primal Fear, i have most of their albums and they are all very good!

and to the rest of you, he didn't ask for black or death metal, and he sure as hell didn't ask for all the random crap you'r all talking about.

destx said:
Here are a bunch of bands that rule but you probably won't like: Cynic

Why not? With its rather bizarre synthetic sound, you never know. Another band with an "unexpected" sound is Cathedral (like psychedelic death metal.)

MasterOfPuppets said:
and to the rest of you, he didn't ask for black or death metal, and he sure as hell didn't ask for all the random crap you'r all talking about.

Hmm, let's all quit this talk about what he asked for or not; he can make up his mind himself. Only mods decide what won't be discussed in threads; other people pretending that prerogative could get in trouble.

Plus some black and death metal stuff (or offshoots like ambient dark metal) might indeed interest him, being not too different from thrash or more traditional metal in some respects; out of the bat I'd recommend Death (the band) even, with its good guitarrist and its well-worked, non-extreme "growling", and Summoning (melodic black metal.)

The first time I heard Cynic, my impression was that it is to metal a bit what Autechre is to electronic music :P

Actually it might be good to let DJ_Haruko know what kind of bands we're recommending, if they may be similar to this or that in one way or another; a bunch of strange band names don't say much; a general idea of how they sound helps.

The album I reccomended, Kill 'em All, is by Metallica. They're pretty much the first thing I think of when I hear the words "heavy metal".

Belial said:

Ya. Except that it's speed/thrash. And it's definitely far from Metallica's best.

Heh, it's my favourite album by them. I guess I like most of the stuff on it because I really like System.

myk said:

That was in itself a stupid comment; what's "this gerne", and what gernes have cool or smart band names anyway?

Indeed, it was stupid, see I was flaming out of boredom.

Gerne?

My problem mainly lies in the...rudimentary naming skills these bands portray. Normally album names, track names and such need not be a concise catharsis of the concept(s) behind it all, sometimes it's far more artistic not to do such thing actually, but my brushing with the songwriting inherent to these subgenres makes me wonder why people relates to this music.

I'm not playing the elitist card here, and certainly not trying to bash the melody aspect of it, which I don't really like, but it would be foolish to judge sound with any objectivity. I'm explicitly bashing the poetry of this bands, the deepness of their emotions, it's validity as a human condition.

Zaldron said:
Normally album names, track names and such need not be a concise catharsis of the concept(s) behind it all, sometimes it's far more artistic not to do such thing

Metal's claim of being loud can play against it; I don't mean just in the sense of being heavy music, but also extreme in theme or character. But I'd say some bands manage to substantiate their claim. Lyrics in music are an accompaniment. They can be simple but their purpose is to fit in; they aren't an expression, but an impression. They don't have to be elaborate or linguistically powerful, but lyrically fitting or enhancing. And what I meant in the other post was that I don't think (good) Metal bands really have particularly bad lyrics. Wannabe "sound like X with nothing worthwhile to add" bands, or other bands that are shitty for whatever reason, do, but these exist in all forms (Metal or not.)

brushing with the songwriting inherent to these subgenres makes me wonder why people relates to this music.

In general, the epic or nightmarish feel, from what I see.

I'm explicitly bashing the poetry of this bands, the deepness of their emotions,

Are you saying they pretend to be deep but aren't, or that they are going too deep?

I've only read the first page of this thread and most of you cunts are fucking retards so I'm only going to bother with what I've read

spank said:

*gasp*

Sorry, I can't take these guys seriously. :P

Anyway, hevydevy.com.

You're an idiot, ohhh just cause theres nasty pics, satanic lyrics and spikes they must be shit music, way to assume, homopants.

Mivalekan said:

SYSTEM OF A DOWN - An excellent and definitely unique band that any metal fan should at the very least check out. The only problem with them is that their new songs are becoming way too political. :/

NIGHTWISH - I'm not entirely sure if they're metal but they nevertheless rox ur sox.

CRADLE OF FILTH/DIMMU BORGIR - Check these bands out if you enjoy symphonic black metal and growling lyrics.

VELVET REVOLVER - They're actually hard rock, not metal, but still worth the listen-to.

RAMMSTEIN - German metal; need I say more? Plus the recently released a new album. :D

You're just an idiot. Truly and idiot.

Had a quick glance at the last page and noticed alot of you suggesting things to this dude that are not even remotely related to the things he is getting into in the metal field. Fuck sake.

Okay, so, gratuitous flaming, plus deliberately ignoring my request to quit arguing about what should or shouldn't be posted in the thread. I'm assuming us metal-listeners and metalheads can be reasonably civilized, and hopefully I'm not mistaken.

Next time I guess warnings'll go in capital bold letters, but this time the warning is in sacrificial blood.

Ret- said:

You're an idiot, ohhh just cause theres nasty pics, satanic lyrics and spikes they must be shit music, way to assume, homopants.

Whatever.

Ret-
Loser

myk said:

Okay, so, gratuitous flaming, plus deliberately ignoring my request to quit arguing about what should or shouldn't be posted in the thread. I'm assuming us metal-listeners and metalheads can be reasonably civilized, and hopefully I'm not mistaken.

Next time I guess warnings'll go in capital bold letters, but this time the warning is in sacrificial blood.

Mike, you are the star in my sky.

Rotting Corpse said:

No one mentioned Immortal? What is with you people?

As devastatingly awesome as Immortal are were are?, I say it's probably a bit heavy for these guys.
That said, everyone should have to watch their three videos at least once a week. Pure comedic blackmetal genius.