Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Doomer490

First Encounter with a boss monster

just talk about your first encounter with a boss

My first boss encounter was when i was playing the shores of hell e2m8 when i ran into the cyberdemon i was so scared i remember shitting my pants as i ran i tried to run around a corner when i got fragged.

Check out this thread and read up on other's replies to meeting the Cyberdemon for the first time (including me): http://www.doomworld.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=14355&highlight=kssh

As for the Spider Mastermind, I hadn't seen it in quite a number of years, and since I was playing with god mode (since I was just getting back into Doom on PC), I guess it was pushover, since it's just a couple BFG blasts and you're winner. I remember hearing E3M8s song for the first time and was like "best song evar!!1!1!"

I actully thought the bruiser bros were pretty frustrating as well.
i rember the to roars i had to duck and dodge and finnaly killed them.

I remember when the bruisers were a real challenge. I couldn't believe how much lead you had to pump into them to kill them.

A friend and I regularly co-opped Episode1 before our registered versions arrived in the post and even with the two of us working on them we couldn't get through without one or the other, and probably both of us dying at some point. Man, we must have sucked.

However, my first memory of the Cybie is less the look or even the rockets - it's his stomp-stomp-stomp noise. The first time I heard that on E2M8 I must have woke him up by shooting a lost soul. That strange music was playing and then I heard the wake-up roar and then the walking sound. I had no idea what I was about to face, but it sounded big and scary and like it was all around me. I think I died shortly after my first glimpse of him.

The Spider never had the same impact. Too few hit-points, to weak a weapon, not as good sounding or even as impressive looking as the Cybie. Other than it obviously being a mastermind in appearance (ie, big brain) it never really made sense to me that the Cybie was the Ep2 boss and the Spider was the final one.

The Icon of Sin was like "WTF, it's a wall". The level idea was quite cunning, and it took me ages to beat it for the first time. But it wasn't a satisfying thing to kill. It wasn't a "real" enemy, it was a wall. I didn't get to see its crumpled body collapse in front of me, just a bunch of explosions in front of an unchanging picture.

First Encounter

Come on, get serious. XD

On topic, I found E1 relatively easy to run through until I got to the Bruisers (I was about 8 and was playing on ITYTD) and got really pissed off at the game at the time because they were much tougher than anything before them

me too, i had faced the bruiser bros at the end of E1. I was about 6-7 and doom was new to me, so me and my uncle sean, who was at my side, decided to shoot them with a pistol.

Doomer490 said:
just talk about your first encounter with a boss

It was a girl; I introduced myself and we shook hands.

My first (and current) boss is also a girl. I want to quit after being partially abused in certain areas (nothing illegal though), but I'm still under contract for over 6 months. =(

My first bost encounter was the bruising brothers. I rode the lift thing up, walked foward, watched the doors suddenly open, listened to their roars, looked at them, laughed at their gay color, then got my butt kicked. :(

When I faced the bruiser brothers the first time, they seemed so menacing, and it seemed like it took so much freakin' ammo to take them down.

I played Duke Nukem 3D first, and wasn't very impressed with the power of the Doom 2 bosses, but I sure as hell loved their awesome designs.

Enjay said:

I remember when the bruisers were a real challenge. I couldn't believe how much lead you had to pump into them to kill them.

I think that was normal back then. But even back then when 320x200 was considered state of the art I found the blurry display a bigger obstacle than the monsters itself because at first I didn't even recognize them as bosses. It became worse with the Cyberdemon because its rockets were almost unrecognizable in that pixelated mess of an image. The SpiderMastermind at the end of E3 was merely WTF? You are well stocked with weapons at that point and it fell so fast that I couldn't even prepare for battle.

Map 07. I got DooM 2 when it came out, but got ultimate DooM a year or two after.

The fatsos weren't the pain, it was those damn spiders. Now thats a noise that can scare you shitless (for the first time of course ;)).

The PSX Doom and Doom 64 noises for the spiders still get me frantically trying to destroy them as quickly as possible.

Like most of you my fist boss fight was the Bruiser Brothers. The worst part about them was the fact that there was two. I hated killing
one of them only to have the second one take you out.

But, by far my all time fave boss monster in any game had to be the Heresiarch. That fucker made the Cyberdemon look like a little girl. When I fist seen him I was thinking this is going to suck. Also I though he looked like a raptor in a robe.

I also reamber the fist time he killed me. I got cought in that purple
fire ball attack of his. I was down to 20 or 15 health. I didnt know about his reflection spell. I threw a Hammer of Retribution at him. The damn thing boucned off and hit me and killed me.

I don't know about you, but when i hear the cyberdemon walking it scares me.

A lot.

(yeah, maybe i'm a pussy)

(but doom 3 didn't scare me at all)

The bruiser brother. Of course I was playing the shareware at a friend’s house and had god mode on. Hehehe, precious memories.