Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
WTF

Wintex help, and is it the best editor?

I wuz wondering if Wintex was the best choice to do wad editing for like...weapon sprites,weapon sounds, enemy sprites, enemy sounds. If its not could you point me towards a better and easier to use editor that is compatible with Windows XP?

If Wintex is the best editor where can i find some simple tutorials to get me started?

Also I am having problems installing Wintex. It tells me to put the following files in a Wintex directory: Wintex.exe, lbwintex.dll, threed.vbx, deusf.exe, and wintex.ini . I have all those files except for threed.vbx. Wintex wont start because of this. where is threed. vbx. Also it says something about Visual Basic. What is that for?

Thx for ur time and ur help.

Wintex is a buggy, unconventional, poorly laid out, unreliable, out of date piece of software. People familiar with it can make it do stuff, but I personally have wrestled with it for years now and never got it to reliably do what I want. Because it is old, it doesn't support some of the features that newer ports use. It will work under XP. It's a visual basic program (I think) so you'll need to make sure you have the run time libraries it needs.

XWE is a newer, better and still updated tool and it supports a range of other games to a greater or lesser extent too.
http://www.doomworld.com/xwe/

Although I personally prefer and use the suite of built in WAD management tools that come with DeePsea for Doom engine related stuff - also regularly updated
http://www.sbsoftware.com/

Speaking of XWE, how the hell do I scroll through the different entries, or display more than just one entry in the viewwindow?

Csabo is still active in the XWE forum and has released beta versions much more recently than that. I have one dated 18 November this year.

XWE can let me make custom textures, custom sounds, and custom sprites? Can it also let me change the behaviour of weapons or enemies?

Mordeth said:

Speaking of XWE, how the hell do I scroll through the different entries

In 1.14 you can use the up and down arrow keys to do this. :) I known in the old versions the viewing window didn't update unless you manually clicked each entry. But that has changed.

WTF said:

XWE can let me make custom textures, custom sounds, and custom sprites? Can it also let me change the behaviour of weapons or enemies?

You make/edit textures and sprites with an image editing program like PSP, photoshop or mspaint. You can edit/create DECORATE and DEHACKED patches in xwe for actor behavior if you're editing a zdoom wad. I'd use WhackEd for dehacked work though.

Personally, I think Wintex is the easiest to use and probably the best tool for the basic graphics editing of Doom sprites and things. However, it does have two annoying bugs. Ome, it doesn't play midi files or sound files that is above 8 bit. This make editing newer wads a bit annoying since you can near the sounds of the music. Second of all, and the most annoying to me, when you are editing the TEXTURE lump, if you hit delete on accident, all your textures are screwed since all the graphics are shifted up 1 name and therefore misplaced completely. It also cant make textures greater than 128 in height.

Other than these things, it's nota ll that bad. I person use WinTEX as the basic editor, like implementing sprites, sounds, and *.mus files. I use other things, such as the occasional use of XWE for making taller wall patches and some minor cropping. Its a good base though,and personally, i dont think there is anything better that i've used.

Enjay said:

People familiar with it can make it do stuff, but I personally have wrestled with it for years now and never got it to reliably do what I want.

Ugh, tell me about it! I could never get WinTex to do what I wanted (Even something as replacing a text lump was a right royal pain in the ass.)

Enjay said:

Although I personally prefer and use the suite of built in WAD management tools that come with DeePsea for Doom engine related stuff - also regularly updated
http://www.sbsoftware.com/

Is it possible to switch to be able to use the Wad management tools with a map that was built on DB? just wondering because i heard this was wasnt freewear, and i use Doom Builder.

Yes it is possible. DeePsea is not freeware but the various WAD management tools are not limited in the shareware version. The primary limitation of the SW version is the size of a map you can save in the editor. If you are not using the editor, then that's not an issue. The WAD management tools are effectively a WAD management program that is integrated into the main DeePsea program. Hitting the F7 button brings up the dialogue that allows you to access them. And to be absolutely clear, they can perform their functions on any WAD, regardless of whether it was made in DeePsea or not.