Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Kaiser

I was bored.. so I made this

For a long time I've been trying to figure out how the wad format in the Jaguar and Playstation version of Doom were like. Finally I figured out the format and from there made a utility that will extract and convert the Jaguar/PSX data into standard PC Doom format. This includes sprites, textures, patches and maps.

This command line tool is just for demostration only and only for those who ever wondered how the wad format for these versions of Doom worked, Or if you want to check out the exclusive PSX maps in a level editor..

To use this tool you must have either the JaguarDoom rom or the PSXDoom CD.

download link here
Readme link here

Also, both JaguarDoom and PSXDoom has some new textures, graphics, and even unused sprites, so its worth checking out if you got nothing else to do. In the zip contains the readme and a list of all the lumps/data present in the main JaguarDoom/PSXDoom iwad.

I just may continue making ConsoleDoom 2.. but I still need to find the right source port.

Enjoy.

Wow! That's really interesting Kaiser.

A few years back I was going nuts looking for some way to open and/or edit PSX Doom maps, even tried to convince Deep into investigating the format. You should let him know about this tool.

Now all we need is some way to replace PSX resources with our own maps and sprites and I would dance naked around the living room :)

Lobo said:

Now all we need is some way to replace PSX resources with our own maps and sprites and I would dance naked around the living room :)

That is what I hope to do. The only thing that can make this happen is to reverse the 'decoding' function.. which I am getting into right now.

This is actually very cool. You figured this stuff out at a very convenient time for me, too, because I just happened to snag a copy of PSXDoom from a friend just the other day. It's a very interesting tool, and I'm amazed you were actually able to do this for not only Jaguar Doom, but ALSO PSXDoom as well.

Good work!

OK, I admit it. Apparently I fail it. :( I can't get extracted images to convert to PC Doom ones. I can get the lumps extracted from psxdoom.wad, but I can't get them further than that. Could someone please post an example command line that works. I've tried:

jagedit -psxwadformat psxdoom.wad -dumplump PUNGA0 -convertpsximage psxdoom.wadPUNGA0.lmp punga0.lmp

I've tried

jagedit -psxwadformat psxdoom.wad -dumplump PUNGA0 -convertpsximage psxdoom.wadPUNGA0.lmp

I've tried

jagedit -psxwadformat psxdoom.wad -dumplump PUNGA0
followed by
jagedit -psxwadformat psxdoom.wad -convertpsximage psxdoom.wadPUNGA0.lmp punga0.lmp
and
jagedit -psxwadformat psxdoom.wad -convertpsximage psxdoom.wadPUNGA0.lmp
and
jagedit -convertpsximage psxdoom.wadPUNGA0.lmp punga0.lmp
and
jagedit -convertpsximage psxdoom.wadPUNGA0.lmp

I also tried

jagedit -psxwadformat psx doom.wad -convertpsximage PUNGA0

And that just gave me a little file called "psxdoom.wadPC_All Users" which, on inspection, was not a usable PUNGA0 lump either.

What am I doing wrong? I just can't get a usable PUNGA0 graphic. Could someone please post an example command line, or set of command lines to extract and convert the lump PUNGA0 from psxdoom.wad to a usable lump in PC Doom image format. Once I've done it with one lump, there will be no stopping me. ;)

Also, the adding of "psxdoom.wad" to the start of every extracted file name is annoying IMO. It has to be removed before inserting into a WAD. Is there an option to suppress this happening?

Glad to see you got some headway with that rom I gave you. :) Very interesting stuff.

Enjay said:

OK, I admit it. Apparently I fail it. :( I can't get extracted images to convert to PC Doom ones. I can get the lumps extracted from psxdoom.wad, but I can't get them further than that. Could someone please post an example command line that works. I've tried:

jagedit -psxwadformat psxdoom.wad -dumplump PUNGA0 -convertpsximage psxdoom.wadPUNGA0.lmp punga0.lmp

I've tried

jagedit -psxwadformat psxdoom.wad -dumplump PUNGA0 -convertpsximage psxdoom.wadPUNGA0.lmp

I've tried

jagedit -psxwadformat psxdoom.wad -dumplump PUNGA0
followed by
jagedit -psxwadformat psxdoom.wad -convertpsximage psxdoom.wadPUNGA0.lmp punga0.lmp
and
jagedit -psxwadformat psxdoom.wad -convertpsximage psxdoom.wadPUNGA0.lmp
and
jagedit -convertpsximage psxdoom.wadPUNGA0.lmp punga0.lmp
and
jagedit -convertpsximage psxdoom.wadPUNGA0.lmp

I also tried

jagedit -psxwadformat psx doom.wad -convertpsximage PUNGA0

And that just gave me a little file called "psxdoom.wadPC_All Users" which, on inspection, was not a usable PUNGA0 lump either.

What am I doing wrong? I just can't get a usable PUNGA0 graphic. Could someone please post an example command line, or set of command lines to extract and convert the lump PUNGA0 from psxdoom.wad to a usable lump in PC Doom image format. Once I've done it with one lump, there will be no stopping me. ;)

Also, the adding of "psxdoom.wad" to the start of every extracted file name is annoying IMO. It has to be removed before inserting into a WAD. Is there an option to suppress this happening?

yikes..

but here is an example

first dump the lump
..path..jagEdit.exe -psxwadformat <include main psxdoom.wad here> -dumplump PUNGA0

this will dump punga0.lmp in the same directory where psxdoom.wad is located. To convert do:

..path..jagEdit.exe -psxwadformat <include main psxdoom.wad here> -convertpsximage <path of punga0.lmp>

This will create another file called
PC_PUNGA0.lmp this is the pc lump format.
The psxdoom.wad at the start of each file name is not what it should be doing ;)

I think I wasn't descriptive with the readme file :P

but be sure you always include the -psxwadformat option and the main psxdoom wad when dumping or converting lumps.

also once you do get it converted, be sure you keep an eye out for some unused sprites and textures not seen in the game ;)

OK, thanks. I finally got it working. But it's not quite as simple as I think it is meant to be. The file I mentioned earlier "psxdoom.wadPC_All Users" was sometimes an 8 byte file with nothing useful in it and sometimes a file that was in fact the converted graphic. It seems a little sensitive to what is on the command line, and I cold only get it working if I passed an extra dummy name onto the command line.

Here's what worked for me inside a batch file:

jagEdit -psxwadformat psxdoom.wad -dumplump %1
jagedit -psxwadformat psxdoom.wad -convertpsximage psxdoom.wad%1.lmp mook.lmp
ren "psxdoom.wadPC_All Users" %1.lmp
If I didn't add the dummy name (mook.lmp) then I got the useless 8 byte file. Still, using the above batch and another batch made using the lumplist file you included, I managed to get almost a full extract. I do have a few outstanding problems though.

Quite a few graphics - mainly sprites - came out looking odd. I think what happened was areas that use black (0 0 0) actually came out a pinky sort of colour (167 107 107). However, the areas of a lot of graphics that should be transparent are actually in black. Easy enough to fix in an image editor, obviously, but worth mentioning.

2 graphics - LEGALS and STATUS didn't come out. DeePSea previewed them as blank, but said they were 256x256. XWE previewed them as a corrupted mess. Obviously STATUS can come out because you included it in the zip. However, I've tried a few times and failed.

Some graphics obviously use a different palette, or some other system. Not many, and all title kind of entries DOOM.lmp, IDCRED1.lmp, maybe IDCRED2.lmp (not sure what it's meant to look like - could be OK), TITLE.lmp, WMSCRED1.lmp, and maybe WMSCRED2.lmp. Any idea where to get the correct palette for these?

Despite those few problems, thanks for this tool. Very useful. Very interesting.

yeah there are some graphics such as STATUS that won't work with the -convertpsximage option. How I got STATUS to work was that I opened it in a hex editor and removed the first 8 bytes then saved it. Deepsea then reconized it.. but as a flat. I should of mentioned this as well. But other graphics such as the loading picture works fine under -convertpsximage

The pink you see in the sprites is because the palette is modified. And PSXDoom has another pallete as well for the title pictures etc. All that I am trying to figure out.

As for the command line I am surprised that its still causing some slight problems for you.

The "psxdoom.wadPC_All Users" is obviously an error with the command line setup.

when putting in the commands you have to also include the full path of the files and the executable.
ex:
C:\Doom\jagEdit.exe -psxwadformat C:\Doom\PsxDoom\PSXDoom.wad -convertpsximage C:\Doom\PsxDoom\MyLump.lmp

when using the -dumplump option the file should come out as nameoflump.lmp and when converted it should come out as PC_nameoflump.lmp

Awesome, i'll have to try this out later. Hopefully you do finish Console Doom 2, if not, then there should be a PSX TC, now that you the resources are available.

OK, thanks for all the info. It was the full path thing that was confusing the issue. I didn't even think about that because I'd just dumped all the files into the same directory. When I add the full path to the files, I correctly get the specified lump without psxdoom.wad being added to the start and the converted lump correctly gets named PC_whatever.lmp

Thanks for the info about the first 8 bytes too. I managed to get STATUS and LEGALS myself as well. Not that LEGALS is a particularly exciting graphic.

Thanks for the info on the sprite colouring. I thought it might be something like that. As a working fix, I ran my extracted bmps through a JASC Image Robot script to load in a palette with the most obvious wrong colours changed to something else.

I hope you manage to figure out the last few issues and thanks again for this util.

This sounds very impresive, as always.
Any chance for a zip file with all the resources?
Does the Nightmare Spectre use its own sprite set, or is it just a recolouring using the engine?

I'll probably work on it again sometime, mainly need to figure out how to setup masked images without having to re-edit them as well as a encoding function to recompress the files so they can be used in the game..

The Nightmare Specture is recolored by the engine.. and I am still thinking about releasing a full set for both Jaguar Doom and PSX Doom.. maybe include the map set as well..

I'd like to try this on Saturn doom, the file names are a little different but from my comparisons of the wad format they're identical.

Edit: would it be too hard for someone to give a peek at these unused sprites??

Use3D said:

Edit: would it be too hard for someone to give a peek at these unused sprites??

granted

one of the unused textures

If I can remember correctly, there is another version of the chain sprite with blood on it. That one was seen in the game, while the non-blood chain isn't.

Now i dont have to pissed off about my mom deleting my episode 1 that i remapped and added colored lighting, for jdoom. I tried this out, works well, the maps are really dark in zdoom, but thats probly because it's a different renderer, and the colored sectors don't convert.

well of course they won't convert, psxdoom uses a different sector structure that is impossible to import to PC doom. You will also have to re-do the light levels in the sectors because psxdoom didn't really have any real light level for its sectors and I just threw in random values when the wad gets converted.

Just to let those know I updated jagEdit again, the only thing added is very limited support for Doom64.

command:
"path" + jagEdit.exe -doom64rom "path of doom64 rom"

This will dump a wad named Doom64.wad. This is the actual IWAD used. But its useless.. the format is completly different than that of JaguarDoom and PSXDoom. The encoding is different so jagEdit is unable to extract/view any lumps.

Whats even worse is that the map format is completly different as well, so there is no way to extract that either. I did however included a text file with a list of all the lumps present in the Doom64 IWAD.. other than that its just for looks..

download link here
Readme link here

As for jagEdit, I am done with it for now..

Yeah i knew the colored lighting wasn't going to convert. There isnt any real light level? or just one that couldnt convert? cuz there is different levels in game, more then pc doom.

PSXDoom uses only RBG values for the sectors, that replaced the standard lightlevel for standard doom maps, so it couldn't be converted. The lightlevel will have to be re-edited manually.

So were your plans for Console Doom 2 to release all the PSX maps, but with colored lighting? or just the same ones as before, or the custom ones? i couldn't remember.