Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bloodshedder

The /newstuff Chronicles #259

Here is Torn, famous for his poor English grammar. I hope these wads will give everybody something to play until Christmas Eve. This newstuff includes Death Tormention 3 and Nimrod: Project Doom, and also a few joke maps. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all you Doomers, and let us hope for another good year of Dooming!

• Ni'mRoD - Project Doom - Team Future
    Skulltag - SP/DM - 15806 KB - (img) (img) (img) (img) (img)
    From the creators of RTC-3057 comes Nimrod - Project Doom, a mod for Skulltag with new weapons and maps. It is based on the Nimrod mod for Doom Legacy finished in 2002, which also originally was going to be a deathmatch mod. This mod has some really nice deathmatch maps plus new skins for weapons and players. It can played as a new Skulltag episode or online with your friends (or enemies). I really love the music and the levels are beautiful. And the Skulltag spheres are used to useful extents and not just slapped in the map. The only complain is the bots' error messages, but kristus writes about that in the text file. People, you have to get this. If you are a deathmatch freak and have Skulltag installed, download this and get online. Wins the prize as newstuff 259's best deathmatch mod/wad.

• Battle for the best boss battle - enter name here
    ZDoom Compatible - Solo Play - 49 KB - (img)
    This smells like a joke map, however it at least has gameplay. The only things that makes this a ZDoom map are a few slopes, a mirror (I hate that trap, heh, I almost peed in my pants) and the "best boss battle ever" (tm). Play it for a few minutes' fun and for checking the last monster, it made me laugh for a second.

• The Army of Black & The Forces of White in Room 666 - Player 1
    Boom Compatible - Solo Play - 22 KB - (img)
    A silly new palette for all you people out there included with a silly map. Skip it or play it just for a waste of some of your time.

• Hell Wad pack - John Cartwright
    doom.exe - Solo Play - 785 KB - (img) (img) (img)
    This map set has 7 maps including a Nuts clone (however I would list it as a Nuts lite). I will only review the first 6 maps as I guess everyone knows what Nuts is about. The main theme has techbases surrounded by cliffs and forests, this mapset should give you a great time. Except I don't understand why the author included a Nuts clone, seems pointless to me. However this mapset is worth a download.

• Death Tormention 3 - Paul Corfiatis and Kristian Aro
    Boom Compatible - Solo Play - 2882 KB - (img) (img) (img)
    The third of the Death Tormention series, and a nice welcome. The maps all mostly follow the old style of Episode 4 (wood, marble and tech). Many of the maps are quite blocky, I could miss some more curved sides, but the maps are quite big and finely detailed. Death Tormention 3 has many well-designed monster traps, with many surprises. But the area of e4m8, where you enter a very dark area with many invisble demons, is just annoying. But other than that, this map set has some nice action and is worth a download for all you Ultimate Doom fans. Death Tormention 3 wins the prize as newstuff #259's best single player wad.

• UnlimitedStar23's Skulltag Deathmatch Party - UnlimitedStar23
    Skulltag - Deathmatch - 967 KB - (img) (img) (img) (img)
    A set of maps for Skulltag deathmatch. But I feel the author could have used more of Skulltag's features, he added weapons, spheres and not really anything more. Another thing is, if you are going for very detailed maps, then this mapset has some really plain areas. I don't care much for very detailed maps (as it can affect the gameplay in a bad way), but some more details in these Skulltag maps could have been great. However here is a little note from the text file: "New maps from scratch" and that is a lie! I have checked, and at least half of these maps are from other wads such as the Dwango series and others. I am sure I have seen map18 too somewhere, forgot where though. There is of couse also a edited E1M1, this time decorated as a hell cave with a poor texturing (missing star* textures, etc.).

Huh what kind of random /newstuff chronicles is this, didn't want to post one on christmas I guess?

Pretty good loot this week though, gotta love the BFG in nimrod.

Short but sweet. That black'n'white WAD nearly made me puke up my dinner. That's the most disgusting palette ever.

I had an idea for such a palette myself the other day. But I had called it Sin City pallette, and I would have done it a bit more carefully. And of course, I had made all reds stay red. :p

EDIT: Yay, Nimrod takes the prize. :D

kristus said:

I had an idea for such a palette myself the other day. But I had called it Sin City pallette, and I would have done it a bit more carefully. And of course, I had made all reds stay red. :p

EDIT: Yay, Nimrod takes the prize. :D

Of couse. :)
But I wonder, why is there all those bug messages in the command lines?

MasterOfPuppets said:

2 bit color, baby

I'm being picky here, but it's one-bit colour, strict black and white. Two-bit colour would have four colours. Rubbish map though. The idea might work if the map used simple flat untextured polygons and stylised baddies, along the lines of the 8BitCTF maps, which were done in a Commodore C64 8-bit style. But the man who designed the map hasn't done that, he has just reduced the colours without a thought as to their suitability for the purpose - which is to rock our eye-socks off.

kristus said:

I had an idea for such a palette myself the other day. But I had called it Sin City pallette, and I would have done it a bit more carefully. And of course, I had made all reds stay red.

The original Zombie Doom mod had a palette like this circa 1998. Of course it was never released...

A good week again I see some quality stuff here, some good maps to play these days.
Still have to play alot of maps from the doom advent calendar too.

I was thinking of leaving the red colors untouched(then it would have also had grey shades).. but I decided to use only black and white....

Jimi said:

I was thinking of leaving the red colors untouched(then it would have also had grey shades).. but I decided to use only black and white....

If anything deserves a nice hefty plate of ouch, this does.