Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Kinkyfriend

Which game is by far the most overlooked one of these?

A list of ten games.  

32 members have voted

1. 1. A list of ten games.

• Clive Barker\'s Undying (PC)
    • Strife (PC)
    • Dungeon Keeper 2 (PC)
    • Forsaken (PC, PS, N64)
    • Super Mario Bros 2 (NES)
    • Exhumed/Powerslave (PC, PS, SAT)
    • Medievil (PS)
    • Wild 9 (PS)
    • Alone In The Dark 2 (PC, PS, SAT)
    • Cyclones (PC)

Hmm, most of those are pretty terrible. But, one of them that doesn't get mentioned enough these days is Alone in the Dark 2. Pretty much every time a game in that series is mentioned, it's because people want to say, "Alone in the Dark really pioneered the 'survival horror' genre." Well, that is totally true.

But I'm just mentioning it here because Alone in the Dark 2 happens to be one of the coolest games I can remember playing, ever.

My vote's on CyClones; it has a lot of features that Duke 3D was credited as introducing. Like flight, which Heretic actually introduced, I do believe.

Speaking of which, why isn't Heretic on that list. Or Hexen?

I would say Alone In the Dark 2, except that after playing it, I still consider it vastly inferior to the original. Overlooked, maybe, but I'll stick to the first. I found Forsaken to be an unmemorable game. I wouldn't say it was overlooked. Dungeon Keeper 2, while thoroughly enjoyable, was not really that much different than Dungeon Keeper. I don't know how popular it was, so I'd say it was overlooked as well. But then, so was the first one. Medievil was fun, but again, it didn't add a whole lot to the genre, but I would say it was definitely overlooked. An underrated gem. CyClones was innovative, I'll give it that, but I didn't enjoy it that much. Unfortunately, I never played Strife, though I've heard good things about it in terms of adding RPG elements to an FPS. As for Super Mario 2, it had the Super Mario name attached to it, so I don't believe it was necessarily overlooked, but it was underrated, definitely.

Haven't played the others.

Dunno why you're interested in the answers to these polls, but I'd add Beyond Good & Evil to that list. That game never got the sales (or the sequels) it deserved.

Mogul said:

Hmm, most of those are pretty terrible. But, one of them that doesn't get mentioned enough these days is Alone in the Dark 2. Pretty much every time a game in that series is mentioned, it's because people want to say, "Alone in the Dark really pioneered the 'survival horror' genre." Well, that is totally true.

But I'm just mentioning it here because Alone in the Dark 2 happens to be one of the coolest games I can remember playing, ever.

I couldn't disagree more with you, I would say those games are actually good. However I agree with you regarding AOD2.

pilottobombadier:
My vote's on CyClones; it has a lot of features that Duke 3D was credited as introducing. Like flight, which Heretic actually introduced, I do believe.

Speaking of which, why isn't Heretic on that list. Or Hexen?

Cyclones also has one of the hexen monsters ;), Well there's not only 10 overlooked games in the world..

alexz721:
I would say Alone In the Dark 2, except that after playing it, I still consider it vastly inferior to the original. Overlooked, maybe, but I'll stick to the first. I found Forsaken to be an unmemorable game. I wouldn't say it was overlooked. Dungeon Keeper 2, while thoroughly enjoyable, was not really that much different than Dungeon Keeper. I don't know how popular it was, so I'd say it was overlooked as well. But then, so was the first one. Medievil was fun, but again, it didn't add a whole lot to the genre, but I would say it was definitely overlooked. An underrated gem. CyClones was innovative, I'll give it that, but I didn't enjoy it that much. Unfortunately, I never played Strife, though I've heard good things about it in terms of adding RPG elements to an FPS. As for Super Mario 2, it had the Super Mario name attached to it, so I don't believe it was necessarily overlooked, but it was underrated, definitely.

Haven't played the others.

I find Forsaken a truely great game in the spirit of Descent.
And many others thinks so too, and it ddin't rate too bad (at least on pc.) And it still looks and plays just as good as ever :) Tho the Sp part is more of a training part so that when you have played far enough then you're ready to play DM.
Dungeon Keeper 2 doesn't have to be a much different game than the first to be a nice addition to your collection :)
And yup Medieval is a bit overlooked, a great hack n slash game :D And Super Mario 2 is actually overlooked because of it being so different and thus it got underrated too...

whyd the fuck did you try sending me a 95mb undying demo through msn once, are you forcing me to play it

Amulets & Armor is the overlookedest of them all.

gargoylol said:

whyd the fuck did you try sending me a 95mb undying demo through msn once, are you forcing me to play it

Amulets & Armor is the overlookedest of them all.

Because I think it's a great game and it's very doom friendly, and my question is: Are you on steriods? this is the most random post I've seen for quite some time... And no I am not forcing you to play it. And (assuming you live in an-english-speaking-country) try to make your sentences right.

I'll go for Forsaken, though I'll note it's the developer's problem for not letting us know what exactly what type of game it was. Somehow reviewers even fumbled on imforming us gamers what exactly was to be done in this game.

Coopersville said:

I'll go for Forsaken, though I'll note it's the developer's problem for not letting us know what exactly what type of game it was. Somehow reviewers even fumbled on imforming us gamers what exactly was to be done in this game.

LOL I didn't know what to make of the Box when I saw it and never heard anything about it when it came out. I wasn't sure what I was in for. And after I played it. I still didn't know. i vote Forsaken.

I voted for strife, it was really enjoyable and I never even heard of it untill early 05.

pilottobombadier said:

why isn't Heretic on that list. Or Hexen?

Because they are not entirely overlooked.
There's still a very active community which plays HereticII multiplayer on a very regular basis to this very day, even though the game is now almost 7 years old.
And it's a Quake2-engine clone, btw. But it never got overlooked.
I'd say that HexenII was the only game in the whole series which got somewhat overlooked. All the other titles fared quite well.

I, with my mind for the obscure, do hereby vote Powerslave. I wish I could get it running again because not even my old machine can run it.

Strife, it is a bitchin' blend of FPS action and RPG elements, plus a few dashes of stealth-FPS in some areas. Plus it has GOOD VOICE ACTING AND DAMN GOOD ART.

My vote went to Clive Barker's Undying. I don't know of very many people who remember it, much less have played it. It was pretty scary, too, and one of the best FPS games I've played. The last time I tried to install and play the game, however, it wouldn't install properly, and it was riddled with bugs. I couldn't even finish the game because one of the weapons was missing for some strange reason. I know I got the game to work flawlessly a few years ago, so I don't have any clue what is wrong.

My second vote would go to Powerslave. Very obscure, but a great Egypt themed shooter. I've actually been able to get Powerslave running in XP on my computer, but only without sound. Not even the tricks posted at the Build on XP page could keep it from randomly crashing when I use VDMSound and NOLFB with it. A shame really, since the game had some awesome sound effects.

I'm seriously considering starting a Powerslave port to Doom using GZDoom and/or Edge after I finish Commandos: Re-Action and a few other mods. It is definitely something I've been wanting to do for a few years now.

I'd say Undying. I actually just got it last week, I had downloaded the demo a year or more back, and I always meant to get it. Great game, it's a shame it went under the radar like it did. Guess we'll never see that sequel.

I'm surprised the see CyClones on there though, I thought I was the only person in the world to have played that thing. I may or may not still have the disks around here. It was allright, but I just could never get the hang of it. Then I got stuck at one point and stopped playing. But it never struck me as more than just alright.

Never played the Alone in the Darks, I've meant to, just never had the chance. Forsaken, I rented once, and thought it was godawful terrible. Strife is excellent, but it seems to be pretty well known, at least around here. Mario 2 was never really underrated, one of my favorite Mario's actually, that and Super Mario World 2. Never played powerslave, or wild 9, and I thought Medievil was just another crap 3D action adventure game with too much jumping.

But for those that haven't played Undying, I'd highly recommend getting the demo and seeing what you think about it. It's pretty addictive, usually play it for at least 2 hours when I sit down to it, although some parts can be extremely irritating. Especially those damn skeletons.

My favorite overlooked game is Tron 2.0. I'm a huge fan of the movie, so I found the game to be incredibly fun. The levels were beautiful, and nothing beats killing enemies with a frisbee. My only complaint is that the light cycles were a bit weak, but that was only a minor part of the game. If I want good light cycles, I'll just play gltron.

http://www.gltron.org/

For you that likes Tron ;)

And if it wasn't for that Undying is an undeniably awesome game and also so damn overlooked. I would have probably picked Forsaken or something.

And for your information guys, SMB2 is overlooked due to many people slag it off being just too different and if you hear a friend slagging it off then you may not give it a try after all. But it's not overlooked in comparison to many games since it still carries a famous title name. And afterall Medieval is a hack n slash game so you can't complain about it being no "thinker's game". Even tho it actually does have quite some puzzles sometimes.

Beyond Good & Evil. End of story.

Out of the options above though, I would have to choose Undying and Powerslave.

gargoylol said:

That's overrated becuase people like it's "prettiness". For serious tronners, I recommend Armagetron.

I should have put a tag saying "Doesn't belong to any overrated/underrated, overlooked thread" So that you wouldn't make a troll over it like you just did.

Anyone heard of a game called Catacomb Abyss?
It used the Wolfenstein engine and was also released in 1992. I feel that game didn't get enough attention.
It's Wolf3d's first and closest relative, before Blake appeared, before Corridor7 appeared.

The only downside of the game was that it was limited to 16-color EGA and had PC-speaker sounds.

the 3d Catacomb games didn't use the Wolf3d engine at all as it was developed before Wolf, and in EGA. First came Catacomb 3D, then Softdisk did a bunch of shitty spinoffs.

gargoylol said:

the 3d Catacomb games didn't use the Wolf3d engine at all as it was developed before Wolf, and in EGA. First came Catacomb 3D, then Softdisk did a bunch of shitty spinoffs.

If that's true it really helps to prove just how overlooked the game really was.

Of those games, I've only played SMB2 and DK2. DK2 was totaly crap, and SMB2 is hardly underrated being a Mario game and all. Therefore, it would be a lie to vote for any of those choices. However, I can list a few of what I consider underrated games:

Dungeon Keeper - The original one was a brilliant and fun game. Original gameplay and a lot of dark humor helped it along pretty well. Another game by Bullfrog and with the same kind of gameplay was THeme Hospital.

Planescape: Torment - Some of the best storywriting I've seen in the game along with a great soundtrack, very fitting art design, and altogether one of the best RPGs ever made. Sadly, I lost one of the discs to this game and it's kindof a rarity so I haven't been able to play it in forever.

Fallout - The original Black Isle game and probably their best, not only did it have an awesome storyline, soundtrack (by the same guy who did PS:T's soundtrack), and setting, but it also has possibly the greatest RPG combat system of all time. The sequel added a lot to gameplay, buck was rather lacking plotwise.

Star Control II - An obscure game from the early 90s, it's part RPG, part strategy, and part battle simulator. You play the captain of a starship who returns to Erth after his colony lost contact with it years ago. Upon your arrival you realise somethign is horribly wrong, and you must topple the Ur-Quan empire for the good of the galaxy. Thankfuly, a source port of this was made (with support from the creators), so you can play it for free.

Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri - A lot like Civilization, but set in the future after a civil war errupts on a colony vessel carrying the last survivors of Earth. Now several factions with different philosophical ideals battle it out on a new world. It has a rather shitty unit/combat system, but its government system is fucking awesome and I'm glad they finaly implemented it in Civ4. It also deals a lot with philosophical stuff and theoretical science, which is probably a major turn off for people who aren't bookish, but for the rest of us it makes the game that much better.