Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Koko Ricky

Most impressive damage from weapons

Sometimes in Doom, you can occassionally get some impressive kills from a weapon. For instance, if I'm using the super shotgun on a horde of demons, the first shot might kill one demon and nick another, and the second shot may end up taking the already damaged demon, plus another. Discuss some of your favorite kills from any standard Doom weapon. Another favorite of mine was taking down five imps with one rocket in Alien Vendetta, something I'd never done previously.

Going insane on a pack of 50-100 zombies with a Chaingun is great fun. So is shooting a rocket at a huge tightly-packed cluster of enemies and watching scores of them get shit-smeared.

With Invulnerability and a Berserker Pack, killing Cybers with your fists is awesome.

I forget how many things I've gunned down with well-placed SSG blasts, but I've pretty much killed as much as possible with 1 shot of that thing a few times.

Plasma gun on Imp hordes is fun. Piecemealing Pinkies with the chainsaw is also fun. And mowing down squads of Knights of Hell/Revenants/Cacos/Mancubi/other medium-size monsters is also fun.

I once killed about 10 shotgunners with a single SSG blast...I think they weakened each other a bit with infighting (or else stray Zombieman shots) before I got to them though.

I think I've gibbed imps and zombies with the plasma gun a few times. It's pretty rare though. And it's fun to watch a swarm of zombies disintegrate from just one or two rockets.

I always enjoy killing a chaingunner with a single shotgun shot. Usually they survive with just a few hitpoints and waste your ammo. Killing a Cacodemon in two shots from the super shotgun is similar.

If you look at the exact damage and hitpoint values of the weapons and monsters you'll see that it allows for some rare occurences. For instance, a former human can be shredded by an Imp, a super shotgun can kill two Demons, and one shotgun blast can kill a Lost Soul. Most of these are exceedingly rare, though.

Occasionally, but very rarely, I can kill all 4 people and 2 imps with one rocket in the blue room on map01. This would be while speedrunning so I don't wait around for the monsters to hurt eachother or get into one clump.

I blasted 2 pistol zombies and one shotgun zombie with one shotgun blast. The 3 zombies were quite scattered and unharmed at the time of the blast. Then I thought of making this kind of thread, but I didn't...

I think I've just discussed it in another thread, but I'll write about it again.

Sometimes, I use the double shotgun to reduce the energy of enemies like the Cacodemons or Barons, but I try to leave to reduce the energy equally from both monsters till I am preety much sure they both have really few energy that even a simple shotgun might do the job. Then I blast in the middle of both monsters with the super shotgun killing both twice (or sometimes tripple) of these monsters with one final blast!

I am not talking about killing many soldiers or imps at once with SSG, that's common. But bigger monsters, after carefully reducing their energy. I think I even killed two Cyberdemons with a final SSG blast at once with the same method but that was pure luck cause it would be hard to estimate if they are both having 1% of energy left or something ;P

Tripple Pink Demon kills with on SSG blast again, it happens frequently when I fire to a big horde of them.

In monster fights, I have seen every monster killing every monster! (Well,. almost but just to make emphasis). I remember a time where I was fighting another Cyberdemon with double shotgun (I love doing this and dodging his misiles! I am crazy =). After a while, it just happened (out of luck) that the bitch needed one single pistol shot to die! And right that time, it just happened that a simple human zombie soldier comes into the arena and tries to shoot me while I was dodging Cybbies last missiles, but gives the final shoot and kills Cybbie!!! A friggin human killing the Cyberdemon with one pistol shot!!!!!!! That is funny luck for the little human zombie! (But then he was dead in a second, har har har. But imagine an alternative scenario, he kill cybie because I left him 0.01% of energy, and then I have 1% energy after being injured by Cybbies rockets and then the zombie also kills me, wicked! Never happened ;P) If this was a roleplaying game, how many levels of experience would the zombieman climb up with such achievement?! Blah..

p.s. I think we should record these stuff in LMP. Though, the way to do would be to remember recording each singleplayer gameplay of mine every time I play. Because at least some of these things happen accidentally (the human soldier killin the Cybbie, that would be a funny lmp), hard to predict..

p.p.s. Was there an LMP of someone killing the Cyberdemon with single punches? I've once heard of it but never found and seen it..

When a horde of Pinkies are aproaching from a long distance, you keep pounding them with SSG hits. As they draw closer more and more will fall with every single ssg shot, [if] they finally reach you, you can take most of them out with your pistol.

Also, firing a plasma gun into a wave of zombies is cool because you get an even mix of gibs and corpses.

Grazza said:

I imagine this is what you're thinking of.

Sheesh that guy is good ive never seen the demo until now.
If I where that cyberdemon I would be pretty frustrated "damnit that little green man is dodging all my rockets"

Punching a low level monster with Berserk on the run. Then having there body or whats left of it slide accross the floor. I have only done it a couple times but its allways fun to watch. Its better if they fall down stairs.

Grazza said:

You might like this one too. That's with -fast.

Heh thats an smart way of using those lost souls, at one point it looked like he was dancing with that cyberdemon.
Well thats what I started thinking, I liked it :)

Craigs said:

When a horde of Pinkies are aproaching from a long distance, you keep pounding them with SSG hits. As they draw closer more and more will fall with every single ssg shot, [if] they finally reach you, you can take most of them out with your pistol.

Why would I shoot anything at a long distance with the SSG? Complete waste of ammo. The normal shotty does more damage at a long distance because it has a much smaller shell range. But why waste your shells? Rip out the chainsaw (if you have it) and maneuver yourself so you're only in the range of the one you're carving. Also, as long as you're not in a tight spot, a horde of demons isn't too hard to kill with the fist, it just takes a while, but should be good maneuvering practice.
Or, if you're not in a spot where you can punch or chainsaw them to death, just use the SSG closer range. Shooting a demon with the SSG down it's throat will kill it immediatly 19.5 times out of 20. If you know how to move properly, there's little reason you should have to worry about taking any damage from demons, unless you're in a really tight spot.

And, to be on topic, I like the grenade launcher and rail that you can use in the wart maps. Nothing is sicker than taking out a long hallway hallway packed with imps and zombies with two shots.
As for standard Doom, the shotguns and RL without a doubt. Everything else is just backup.

The super shotgun fires 20 pellets, each of which can do either 5, 10 or 15 points of damage. It is therefore theoretically possible, if you are accurate and extremely lucky, to do 300 points of damage in one shot.

This is just enough to kill a revenant.

I don't know if anyone's ever managed a one-shot revenant kill. I heard a rumour on the old rgcd newsgroups that somebody did it, but as far as I know it was never substantiated. Given perfect accuracy the probability of pulling it off is 1/(3^20), or about 0.000000000287 - and since Doom's random number generation uses lookup tables and isn't really random at all - it might, in fact, be impossible.

I thought ssg had 21 pellets and the probability of killing a revenant was actually 1 in a few million. That page I saw though has mistakes, such as it seems demons have 140 health instead of 160.

The maximal damage from a super-shotgun in the vanilla engine (including dependence from the Doom's random number generation tables) is 250. The maximal damage of the shotgun is 105. I think.

I am sorry. All that I have told about the maximal damage is a lie. It is very complex to count up really maximal damage and may be 300 really possible

This thread reminds me one time I was watching my brother playing Wolfenstein 3D. It was the last mission of E1. He had shot all his ammo into the boss enemy, only knife left and the boss was not dead yet. Not much health left either... My brother was hiding behind one corner of those pillars in that big hall. He decides to move and check what's behind that corner... HANS! STAB! Hans goes down...