Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dr. Zin

A Megawad for 2006 (1monster) [Finished]

I think I got it one the first run through. It said "A Secret has been revealed!" and it was one of the later levels.

The Spooky House was really good by the way, as were alot of the levels. Good job guys.

Some pretty good stuff in this wad, the Cacodemon level was awesome in many ways! Spook House was another one of my favourites too.

Someone has removed a secret from my map where you can telefrag the third Cyber. By pressing on the skull a wall lowers revealing a teleporter and you can telefrag him. I though it was a great secret!. I repeat... it was the best secret in my wad, why was it removed. I don't think telefragging is any kind of cheating.

It wasn't, although it might have been changed a bit. I use it all the time. I just don't open the right door when I enter that room after the second cyberdemon. I go through the rest of the map like usual, and when I come up to the teleporters after the library, the teleporter on the left (the secret one which telefrags that cyberdemon) is still open. I don't know what it was like before, but now it seems to be open by default, and going through that right door closes off the secret.

I edited that map very slightly. I don't remember exactly how, but I think I just made it so you could always enter either teleporter. There was a linedef at one point that closed the teleporter that allowed you to telefrag the cyberdemon.

Ryathaen said:

I edited that map very slightly. I don't remember exactly how, but I think I just made it so you could always enter either teleporter. There was a linedef at one point that closed the teleporter that allowed you to telefrag the cyberdemon.

The only way you could telefrag the Cyber in the red key room is that you don't enter that room at all. You progress north (left of thew red key door) to get the yellow key, you go through the library and press the switch to lower the red key, the teleporter south wil be avaliable so you could telefrag it.

But if you have entered that room with the red key before you have progressed through to the library, the bars were closed off meaning you must defeat the Cyberdemon in that room the hard way by shooting it. Since the Cyber wakes up as soon as you open the door and starts walking and firing rockets and all that stuff.

So having two teleporters after the Library is rather useless. You should have deleted one of the teleporters (the northern one with the arrow pointing to it and leaving the telefrag one in) since both teleports led to the same room in different positions.

And as I said before there was also a secret where you could telefrag the third Cyber (in the round room). You would press on the (WOOD4) skull with glowing red eyes (in the hope that you would survive) and a hidden wall in the SW of the room would lower revealing a teleporter allowing you to telefrag it. This trick could take several tries and extreme skill.

Anyway, keep the edited level in the 1monster wad. But I might release the original level as a seperate wad file to the archives (if they ever come back to life again). Or I could just re-insert the original map into the 1monster file and reupload the 1monster wad with the original Cyberdemon level innit aiii.

Oh, that secret. I thought there was something there at one time, but it was taken out so long ago that I forgot all about it. It shouldn't be a problem putting it back in.

Oh well, I might reupload the new 1monster wad file with the fixed Cyberdemon level. Unfortunatly idgames/incoming has been dead for many weeks.

Ty has been on vacation for a few weeks. He should be back soon. I've already added the secret and removed that one teleporter. There's just one other thing. If you don't shoot at the third cyberdemon and just telefrag him, those two others won't wake up and teleport to the library. Did you mean for this to happen (maybe as part of the secret)? If not, it will be easy to fix.

I removed that because it seemed unfair to me that the player would be punished for going into a certain room by making him teleport directly in front of a cyberdemon with very little time to react. I left both teleporters there so the player would still have to choose between them if they hadn't woken the cyberdemon yet. The "right" one with the arrow would put them in a position of probably dying, while the other allowed them to safely telefrag the cyberdemon.

In retrospect, my version didn't really fix the problem I had with it, so it was sort of pointless. I just don't like the whole situation, but it's not my map.

That was pretty fun. The last level was quite creative, and the title screen looks like an imp standing on another imp's giant ass.

pcorf said:

Oh well, I might reupload the new 1monster wad file with the fixed Cyberdemon level. Unfortunatly idgames/incoming has been dead for many weeks.

Ichor replied:
Ty has been on vacation for a few weeks. He should be back soon.

Thanks to replied already, btw i've one the first public release, and ,as usual, is a great megawad...

Also, somehow those bars that were supposed to lower if you went into that room were removed, so I had to fix that too.

I would like to ask if there will be some changes in map06 in the final version. I have already recorded some demos for it so I worry if they will be compatible with the final version of the wad.

Ichor said:

Also, somehow those bars that were supposed to lower if you went into that room were removed, so I had to fix that too.

Is everything all set for a second release, then?

Gusta said:

I would like to ask if there will be some changes in map06 in the final version. I have already recorded some demos for it so I worry if they will be compatible with the final version of the wad.

I don't recall making any changes, and I don't think anyone else has been tinkering with the WAD.

Ichor said:

Here.

And no, I didn't do anything to map 6. The only changes were to map 21.

That's not the way 21 originally worked -- you didn't have to do any backtracking -- but I think it makes more sense this way, though it might cause a little confusion to run into a dead end with a barred teleporter.

I haven't finished the WAD just yet, but I figured I'd go ahead and make a few comments.

I think this has been mentioned before, but the WAD does not seem to be fully compatable with all Source Ports. Namely, EDGE. Using EDGE, I found a lot of broken switches and map elements which fail (Demons do not pour out of the cubby holes on their map). I used Immoral Conduct, and damn its hard to play! If you dare, play Immoral Conduct on Buckshot Waltz. Good luck getting the yellow key, much less the very end with the Sarge mob.

I've since fired it up with standard Doom 2 + ZDOOM. I love it so far, although killing the same monster over and over can get tedious at times, but the level structure is beautiful and the enemies are positioned well. The larger levels with hordes upon hordes of enemies reminds me of the good old Serious Sam days. I love the first Spectre level. Props to whoever made that.

Over all, very much enjoyable. I just wish it were more EDGE compatable so I could continue my 1MONSTER + Immoral Conduct game.

Its strange that it doesnt work for edge and a shame (being an edge user my self) i'll look in to it and maybe post a patch on the edge forum when i have discovered the problems.

Rubilacxe said:

the WAD does not seem to be fully compatable with all Source Ports

The txt states that it requires a Boom-compatible source port (and thus presumably that Boom features need to be enabled in any that give the option of disabling them).

Is EDGE claimed to be fully Boom-compatible? Last time I tried, it wasn't, but I don't know about the most recent release. And if it is meant to be, then check the settings.

If the wad works in Boom 2.02 (or its direct Windows port Prboom 2.02), then it can be said to be Boom-compatible by definition.

the latest edge is nearly (as far as i know) boom compt, but thinking about Rubilacxe's problem i think its down to the ddf's in IC.

Ill take a look soon.

Probably right about the DDFs.

Never the less, Immoral Conduct is my prefered way to play Doom nowadays, and besides the problems with certain switches (which I had to bypass with NOCLIP), the WAD is actually quite playable on Immoral Conduct. Levels full of Seargents (buckshot waltz) are challenging, but I made it out of them alive (with maybe 4% health, but still). Plus its fun to use the sentries to take down massive waves of enemies. Levels with Chaingun enemies or Lost Souls also prove fun (Chaingun enemies spawn a random new zombie in Immoral Conduct).

I'm still enjoying my romp through with ZDOOM Doom 2 though.