Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dr. Zin

A Megawad for 2006 (1monster) [Finished]

The new year always seems to be a good time to start a megawad. What would a cool concept be though? People have made wads limited to only 10 sectors, 2 sectors, and a 1024x1024 square.

My idea is 1monster.

1monster means that a given map has only one type of monster on it. For example, MAP01 may have a bunch of zombiemen, MAP12 a bunch of Hellknights, etc. The maps can be as big or complex as you want, but there can only be one variety of enemy.

The objective of 1monster is to stimulate people's creativity by making a map that doesn't become repetetive even though there is only one species of enemy. People will have create a variety of different styles of encounters to keep interest. This combats the tendencies of mappers to make groups of successively more powerful monsters to create progression in a level.

Here would be the guidelines:

1. Mappers may ony use one variety of monster in each map (DUH).

2. Maps should be Boom compatible. This allows the best compromise of portability and features (and eliminates alot of gimmicky crap).

3. Mappers cannot change any of the IWAD resources, but can add their own stuff as long as they prefix it with a unique two character code. For example, the prefix to my resources would be DZ.

4. Initially only one slot will allowed per mapper. After a month or so mappers will be able to take additional slots. However, if someone who is not affiliated with the project wants a slot but all of the slots are filled someone may be forced to give up their duplicate. They should probably still keep working on the map though, because there always seems to be extra slots at the end from people dropping.

5. The project begins now. The due date is November 1st. Don't be late.

6. The slots should ramp up in difficulty, i.e. MAP01 should not consist of Cyberdemons. Note that smaller enemies may still have later slots, because they often can be more difficult to fight (especially Sergeants and Chaingunners).

7. Although we will try to place the map in the spot it was originally assigned, it may be moved if it really is a problem in difficulty progression. (This is along the same lines as the lethal small enemies in #6).

8. Maps 15 and 31 must have secret exits(DUH again).

9. No SS soldiers except in secret levels.

10. Map 30 gets an exemption for the use of the Icon of Sin (if the mapper wants it).

11. Maps need to be playable from a pistol start.

Please give me your comments. If you want to join, post a reply in this fashion so I can put you on the board.

Map: Map09
Name: Max Impage
Monster: Imp
Resource Code: AA

P.S.
Although I thought of this idea I don't really want to oversee and compile this project. If anyone wants to take it over contact me.

SLOTS:

Section 1:
9 Slots Free
Macro11_1 (Chaingunner) Code NA
DLD (Chaingunner) Code DLD
Use3d (Zombieman) Code US
Demondemon (Imp) Code IS

Section 2:
7 Slots Free
pcorf (Cyberdemon) Code CB

Section 3:
4 Slots Free
Ichor (Cacodemon) Code 42
Jimi (Arch-Vile) Code 007
Torn (Arch-Vile) Code TO
Lutarez (Hellknight) Code LZ
Psycho Siggi (Revenant) Code PS

Special Maps:

MAP15: The Dark Archon (Pain Elemental) Code TDA
MAP30: Free
MAP31: Dr. Zin (Arachnotron) Code DZ
MAP32: Dutch Devil (Wolfenstein SS) Code DD

What about replacing the SS Nazi's sprites and sounds so that they appear to be a new type of zombie (Like in Torment & Torture 2)?

Eh, I'd rather not do that for a couple of reasons. I think it distracts from the standard nature of the wad. Making levels with a new monster would just seem out of place among all of the classic enemies. Also, the SS aren't that "interesting" in the first place, since they are basically slower chaingunners. They may be good for one map, but any more than that would be kind of redundant because they are too close in specs to the CGs.

I think they'd be good early on. For example, Map01 would be full of shotgunners. Map02 would be full of the SS zombies, which would make things about as challenging as if real chaingunners were there, without giving the player another weapon too early on.

Can you use a mix of the Zombie species when it comes to individual maps?

Such as Map01 have Zombiemen and Shotgun Guys, Map02 have those plus Heavy Weapon Dudes, etc.

They're all "zombies".

The same would have to go for the Pain Elemental, since she must spit Lost Souls.

Also, can you have penuse- errr Demons in the same level as Spectres?

I like the idea.

There are only 18 different monsters in Doom II (plus Icon of Sin), so you'll have to make 2 maps for 13 of the monster types if you want a full megawad.

If the maps are going to be arranged by difficulty anyway, why even pick a number in the beginning? (Except for special cases like map 30) Just selecting a monster type for the map you're going to make should be enough IMO.

Again, I don't think having modified SS adds enough to the mapset to justify doing the changes and jarring the player. Also, it kind of goes against the purpose of this mapset, which is to find novel ways of using the same monster.

Each variety of zombie is a different species. Pain elementals and lost souls are really the same thing though, especially because of a map consisting of only lost souls would be pretty limited.

Demons and spectres aren't the same. Although statistically they are identical they lend themselves to different types of situations (the demons are good for mass attacks and the spectres are more suited for ambushes).

I actually like the idea of no fixed slots. It would probably be better ot have the mapper declare what monster they are using and what section of the megawad they would like to be placed in. THe sections wouls follow the Doom 2 episodes, Section 1 is 1-11, Section 2 is 12-20 and Section 3 is 21-30. THe only specific slots will be 15, 30, 31 and 32 because they have special requirements.

Also, I don't think MAP07 should use the special tags, as it is too early for Arachnotrons and Mancubi. Since there would be only one monster type the tags wouldn't really serve much purpose anyway.

I would like to have as many of the monsters covered as possible, but situations like 3 maps containing imps and one map containing the basic zombie would be ok, because the basic zombies don't have much you can do with them, while imps are much more versatile.

Hmm, Well, as for your sentiments on the Map 07 part, why not just use crushers? that way the player will never actually run in to the monsters, and you can still use them for the triggers. Just a Thought.

Using voodoo dolls and Boom currents would let you do anything that crushers and monsters would before.

And Jimi, Commander Keen is not a real enemy, and this isn't being done by map anymore, it is being done by section. Do you want to pick a valid monster and be put in section three?

Dutch Devil, what do you want your resource code to be? DD?

EDIT: Although we are arranging by section I am putting up a preferences list for map numbers. Just because you put a map as a preference doesn't mean you will get it.

EDIT2: At this point I think it would be too much of a pain to have a map number preferences list. If you REALLY want a map in a specific spot remind me or whoever is in charge when you send the map in.

Ok. I have an idea for the PE/Lost Soul map anyway.

MAP - MAP15
NAME - Artifical Pain
MONSTER - PE (and with it, lost souls)
RESOURCE CODE - TDA (Who says I can't have 3 letters :))

Map: Map32
Name: Castle Dorkenstein
Monster: Wolfenstein SS
Resource Code: DD

Say hello to Castle Dorkenstein:

[edit]Yes Dr Zin DD is fine, whats the meaning of an recource code?

dutch devil said:

Yes Dr Zin DD is fine, whats the meaning of an recource code?

Dark Archon pretty much has it right, you prefix it to the stuff you add to the wad (for example, a texture of mine could be DZROCK) so that there aren't any problems with duplicate names.

Your map is looking very nice. You work fast!

Dr. Zin said:

Dark Archon pretty much has it right, you prefix it to the stuff you add to the wad (for example, a texture of mine could be DZROCK) so that there aren't any problems with duplicate names.

Your map is looking very nice. You work fast!

Great thanks for the explanation, I was a bit confused about that but understand it now :)
I don't think im going to add flats patches or whatever else, maybe an new sky if its possible, other than that nothing.

The map isn't looking bad at all, like the theme myself too, the name is sounding quite funny also:)

This project sounds like a fantastic idea.

I think I'd like to do a small to medium sized map for this project. One enemy of a certian type sounds interesting.

I wouldnt mind doing MAP20 or something like that, in which the level contains only Cyberdemons.

A good progression of a 1 monster Megawad.

Level - ENEMY
------------------------------------
MAP01 - Zombieman
MAP02 - Zombieman
MAP03 - Shotgun Guy
MAP04 - Shotgun Guy
MAP05 - Imp
MAP06 - Imp
MAP07 - Demon
MAP08 - Spectre
MAP09 - Lost Soul
MAP10 - Cacodemon
MAP11 - Baron of Hell

MAP12 - Chaingunner
MAP13 - Chaingunner
MAP14 - Pain Elemental
MAP15 - Arachnotron
MAP16 - Revenant
MAP17 - Hell Knight
MAP18 - Mancubus
MAP19 - Spider Mastermind
MAP20 - Cyberdemon

MAP21 - Cacodemon
MAP22 - Pain Elemental
MAP23 - Mancubus
MAP24 - Hell Knight
MAP25 - Baron of Hell
MAP26 - Arachnotron
MAP27 - Arch Vile
MAP28 - Spider Mastermind
MAP29 - Cyberdemon
MAP30 - Revenant + Icon of Sin

MAP31 - Wolfenstein SS
MAP32 - Wolfenstein SS

Dittohead said:

This is a really cool idea. If I have the time I may be able to contribute, but not at the moment. Good luck anyway.

At this point the completion date isn't for another 11 months, so I'm sure you could find time to make a level.

pcorf, I'll put you for Cyberdemons in section 2, but be aware that you could get bumped up (those Cybies are damn tough). Also, what code do you want?

Although your list is good, I don't really want to have any specific level progression. I think it would work better if the maps were arranged at the end more organically.

Tenatively (and very tenatively) I am making level 31 be an Archnotron level. If someone else has a better idea they can talk to me.

EDIT: And to those not in the know, Linedef action 271 is your friend if you want to change the sky.

Well this definitely sounds interesting. I think I'll go ahead and sign up for it.

Section 2
Mancubus
NU

I don't have an name yet though.

Dr. Zin said:

At this point the completion date isn't for another 11 months, so I'm sure you could find time to make a level.

pcorf, I'll put you for Cyberdemons in section 2, but be aware that you could get bumped up (those Cybies are damn tough). Also, what code do you want?

Although your list is good, I don't really want to have any specific level progression. I think it would work better if the maps were arranged at the end more organically.

Uhh, give me the code "CB". I will not be using custom textures in this level.