Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
funduke

Thank you for the xmas-present! (v. 0.4)

Thank you for the xmas-present! (v. 0.4 of freedoom)

I'm currently downloading it.

I have a question:
I see a DooM2-iwad and a shareware -IWAD.
And I've seen in the past somewhere on the project homepage words about making a doom2-iwad.
Will there also be a full DooM (registered and/or Ultimate) IWAD?

Greetings
Funduke

funduke said:

I'm currently downloading it.

I have a question:
I see a DooM2-iwad and a shareware -IWAD.
And I've seen in the past somewhere on the project homepage words about making a doom2-iwad.

Greetings
Funduke

of couse, when it is finished...

funduke said:

You're welcome :)

funduke said:

Yup: the reason we don't currently offer one is two fold. Firstly, almost none of it has been done yet bar the first episode, so there's not much reason to bundle it all together. Secondly, we're trying to make sure the focus is on the DOOM2 IWAD at first, so we can complete that as fast as possible :)

I really wish I could do sprites from scratch. That, to me, is the most obviously incomplete - and therefore disappointing - area of FreeDoom ATM.

Another thanks for 0.4 though. It's always interesting to DL freedoom and see how it's coming along. I personally was disappointed when the STARG.. etc textures from the very early versions were replaced (in 0.3?) because I preferred the older ones, but I still have my older copy, so it's all good.

As a matter of interest - why did you go for a multi-angled Electro column sprite in place of a single angle one?

Enjay said:

I really wish I could do sprites from scratch. That, to me, is the most obviously incomplete - and therefore disappointing - area of FreeDoom ATM.

I absolutely agree. I'm going to try my hand at some. I think the problem is they are very, very difficult :/

Enjay said:

I personally was disappointed when the STARG.. etc textures from the very early versions were replaced (in 0.3?) because I preferred the older ones, but I still have my older copy, so it's all good.

Me too actually. Are the old ones still in the archive somewhere? I don't think we've removed anything from http://freedoom.sf.net/deutex/ , even if it isn't in the IWAD anymore. If you can remember who did it... maybe we could hold a straw poll or something and reactivate the old ones ;)

Enjay said:
As a matter of interest - why did you go for a multi-angled Electro column sprite in place of a single angle one? [/B]

I'll have to check who did it and who uploaded it (probably fraggle)

Jon said:

I think the problem is they are very, very difficult :/

That they are. :(

Me too actually. Are the old ones still in the archive somewhere? I don't think we've removed anything from http://freedoom.sf.net/deutex/ , even if it isn't in the IWAD anymore. If you can remember who did it... maybe we could hold a straw poll or something and reactivate the old ones ;)

I've had a look through the archive and couldn't find them. I've no idea who did the originals either. There's nothing wrong with the newer ones in themselves, I just thought the older ones were far truer to the id textures. The new ones look like distressed concrete whereas the old ones look like space-age vacuum formed panels like the id originals do (IMO). In fact, in some situations, I prefer the old Freedoom ones to the id ones. I presume you have a copy somewhere, but if anyone else wants to check them out, I think I've put all the available ones into a WAD. In fact, I've put the old ones and the new ones into separate wads for easy comparison. Just load one and then go check a level that uses them heavily (E1M1 is pretty good).

http://www.zen64060.zen.co.uk/sw.zip