Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
mkfanatic

Level 5 Ghost Town/Level 2 Black Tower Master Levels

I'm not sure which is exactly the right name because the game names them as both (Ghost Town in the map screen and Black Tower in the saved game) so I'll post both. Have you people played this level? My God, this has to be THE MOST DIFFICULT level I have EVER played. I had it on Ultra Violence but my God. Level 1 was easy, Level 3 wasn't too bad, Level 4 isn't too bad either, but Level 2 is the hardest level, I swear, that I have EVER played. It took me so long to complete it (actually, I had to cheat at one point to complete it) that it didn't give me a time, it simply told me that my time sucked. There's one part in the middle of the level where you teleport into the middle of a circular room with a wall surrounding it with about 20 notches in the wall with an imp in each. There are also 5 cages completely closed. There are also 3 pain elementals in the main part of the arena. After I killed them all you open one of the cages and there's a Revenant, you kill that, hit the switch inside the cage, which unleashes the first level of Hell. Meaning, about 30 or 40 cacodemons. After you kill them another cage opens, hit the switch in there, another cage opens with a Revenant inside. Once he's alerted to you, about 6 or 8 arachnatrons teleport in including a cyberdemon. I could not beat this part without cheating because my ammo was so low. I'm very curious if anyone's played this level (I'm sure you have seeing how many people have played the Master Levels) but has anyone beat it on Ultra Violence without cheat codes? I swear it seems impossible, so many monsters on this level you just wouldn't believe.

I just read that this level has 370 monsters (on Ultra Violence) which seems to be the most amount of monsters ever. That's a lot of monsters and I would say that is accurate cuz man, there were a shitload of monsters.

You are playing the PSX version, don't you? Why don't you play the PC (original and cooler) version?
Black Tower is a big uh.. black tower, "the nucleus of black magic and the occult in all of Hell" you must get to the highest floor and kill Chagrin.
Ghost Town is a map from Plutonia (I guess you didn't played the PC version neither), it's rather small but has lot of monsters, the walls are brown, you fight a spidermastermind, many chainguners in sniper positions.

Ghost Town in plutonia map and I think it found its way in Master levels. Or vice versa. I can't rememmber Black Tower however.

Just had lots of fun with nuts.wad. One shot and it froze up on me.

I believe (from comments posted in another thread) that mkfanatic is playing an XBox version, which sounds like it contains an odd mix of maps and map names.

Blacktwr in the original Master Levels (by Sverre) does start with you facing a big black building, unlike Plutonia's Ghost Town. As you can see from Opulent's link, there are at least two demos of this map being done with Max kills and no cheats. It's possible the XBox version has changed of course - though I notice that the original also has 370 monsters on UV, which is unlikely to be a coincidence. Then again, the Master Levels were meant to be quite tough wads, by the standards of the time they were released, at any rate.

Technician: If you want to play Nuts.wad, then I'd suggest using glboom as your best chance of a decent framerate. How that performs depends on your graphics card of course, but for me if gives a drastically better framerate than any other exe I have tried.

Yes, thanks Grazza, I forgot to mention it was the Xbox version, I'm not really a pc gamer. And yes, it is the Black Tower level but I just don't know why it's called Ghost Town in the automap.

I finally beat it yesterday without cheating, wasn't quite as hard as I originally thought but still very challenging. Every level after this has pretty much been a breeze though. Of course, I've played pretty much every other level before on the PS version (except Bloodsea Keep).

I think the problem with Black Tower is how early they put you in this level on the Xbox. I don't know what order it comes in on the PC version but it's an extremely hard level to be putting on Level 2 right after Level 1 (Attack) where you don't get the chance to gather up lots of ammo before getting to it. After I beat the game it started me over on Level 1 with all my ammo, weapons, and health so when I got to the Black Tower, it wasn't near as hard as the first time. I must say though that TEETH was pretty hard too. TEETH II (or Bad Dream) wasn't too extremely hard considering the amount of Cyberdemons. Every other level wasn't that hard.