Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
stealthredneck

Protecting Wads From Editing

Heh, a simple question really. I always make maps for my friends, and man i enjoy torturing him (lights turning off, doors shutting behind him) but he has a tendency now to open them up in doombuilder before playing them. Is their any way i could protect a .wad file from being editied or possible password? But still be able to actually play it? I'd imagine this would help other users with possible problems as well.

Thanks,Stealth

I suppose if there any source ports that can run wads from a zip file (I vaguely remember one that can), you could put a password on the zip file.

Edit: The newest version of GZdoom supports using zip files instead of wad files. It was more than a year ago since I read about another source port that could do this.

Although, it would be easy to use 'dumpmap' on the passworded zip-wad once it's loaded.

GZdoom does support zip files. However it can't get past the password protection, which of course is not really a surprise. If you load a password protected zip, the password protected data will be ignored.

Perhaps stealthredneck should put a more positive spin on this. If your friend is now getting to the point where he can inspect and understand a WAD using an editor - start trying to persuade him to make you some levels too. And remember, don't check them out in an editor before you play them. ;)

Well, the official Doom, Doom2, Doom Ultimate, Hexen, Heretic, Strife wads don't allow editiing. Atleast that is true for wintex, maybe the program itself didn't allow these files to be edited. I hvaent tried to mess with them using other editors though, so I don't know.

Ezxariarch said:

Well, the official Doom, Doom2, Doom Ultimate, Hexen, Heretic, Strife wads don't allow editiing. Atleast that is true for wintex, maybe the program itself didn't allow these files to be edited. I hvaent tried to mess with them using other editors though, so I don't know.

it absolutely is possible to edit the IWADs.

Ezxariarch said:

If you make a copy and change the first character from an I into a P you can persuade any software available into editing them, even software that disallows changing an IWAD.

Mancubus II said:

it absolutely is possible to edit the IWADs.

But if it is your only copy, don't touch it until you have a backup.