Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dittohead

NDCP Released

Belial said:

I've skipped map19 as it just screamed 'obligatory overdetailed map with annoying gameplay'.

I think map19's definitely worth a play through, it's not the worst map I've played from the pack so far. I think there is actually potentially a pretty good large map in there with plenty of chance for exploration, it's just far too cramped and overcrowded with largely useless details which detract far more from the gameplay than they add visually. It's also far too dark in some places, I'm guessing maybe it was primarily tested in an OpenGL port, as they tend to make things brighter than software renderers. Health's also a bit tight I thought. Still, I found it quite enjoyable if played cautiously.

From what I've played so far the wad's pretty much on par with the Community Chests in general, with maps of varying quality and a mishmash of themes.

Grazza said:

No, but I can provide some further information that might help track down the problem. I get the same error in Prboom 2.02 and Eternity, but it is OK in Prboom-plus (both software and hardware rendering).

I'm not sure which of Andrey's improvements in the rendering code will account for the difference though.

Edit: Weird. The problem still occurs in Prboom-plus 2.2.6.18, but it works OK in Prboom-plus 2.2.6.19. The only change between the two listed in the changelog is:This isn't an issue that should affect this map, but maybe there were other changes that were relevant.

Yes. It has been changed in this version because DV.wad contains the same mistake and I could not test support of big levels

Oh I will definitely play map19. I just felt that it would take too much time so I skipped it.

Maps 27, 28 and 29 are IMO the best ones in the wad, or at least some of the best ones, even though ammo was scarce near the end of map29. Map25 was quite good as well. Map24 was okay but it definitely didn't have enough ammo to kill that cyber.

Doing demos on map30 was a blast :).

Edit: Oh well, map19 is basically 30 mins or less of boredom and cautious playing.

I found another issue with Map09 besides not being able to run it in Prboom. After I get the red key, there are two switches I can hit. One is by an arachnotron and the other is by itself that lowers the bars in the center. Well, the one by the arachnotron opens up a teleport across the way. Here's the problem... I cannot enter that teleport. It is in the same room as the double shotgun on the cross, and with the same warp that lets you get a secret.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned this problem, because it is quite hindering to the map's progress.

I have ZDoom version 2.0.98.

Belial said:

Oh well, map19 is basically 30 mins or less of boredom and cautious playing.

Dunno what you found you needed to be cautious about. The only thing that slowed down the gameplay in that map was that there were a long way to go before you got anything more than shotgun and chaingun which made the map play slower as the enemies went down slower (not a bad thing though, people are usually to eager to give the player the SSG IMO). And the complexity of the map. So you had to spend time exploring, wondering where to go next. Other than that I never felt the need to be cautious. It was way to easy IMO.

As for the design of the map. I found it to be a mixed bag. The map was pretty intresting to play, but also pretty ugly. Partly due to the shitty new textures, and partly due to what I sense is an inexperienced level designer. I still liked it though. But that's much due to my infatuation with close quarter gameplay.

Map01 was.. nothing special at all.

Map15 feels like it's a map that Mystic just could have not bother to make, as it's pretty much the same as all his other city maps.

Those are the only ones I've played so far.

kristus said:

Dunno what you found you needed to be cautious about.

Lets see:

a) hitscan enemies,
b) cramped,
c) low health,

Yep, cautious gameplay ahoy.

You say 'exploring, wondering where to go next', I say boring switch hunt.

The hitscan enemies are the least concern. I'd say the Arch Vile at the blue key gave me the biggest grief since it managed to flame me once.

And most of the places that are the most cramped aren't very active, monster wise. The other areas aren't that bad in that concern.

b00mb0dy said:

I found another issue with Map09 besides not being able to run it in Prboom. After I get the red key, there are two switches I can hit. One is by an arachnotron and the other is by itself that lowers the bars in the center. Well, the one by the arachnotron opens up a teleport across the way. Here's the problem... I cannot enter that teleport. It is in the same room as the double shotgun on the cross, and with the same warp that lets you get a secret.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned this problem, because it is quite hindering to the map's progress.

I have ZDoom version 2.0.98.

It's been fixed. Don't know when Doom Dude will get the latest version up though.

kristus said:

Oh well. :/

Nuxius said:

It's been fixed. Don't know when Doom Dude will get the latest version up though.

Probably by the weekend.

kristus said:

Map15 feels like it's a map that Mystic just could have not bother to make, as it's pretty much the same as all his other city maps.

Those are the only ones I've played so far.

I plead guilty as charged *blushing* I actually made that map by copy and pasting bits of some other urban maps I had been working on for years then modified them, it was originally a large legacy map with lots of 3D bits which I just removed to make it compatible. At the time I mistakenly believed there was a rush to get the maps finished. I planned to release the legacy version after NDCP became available but a nasty virus destroyed that and many other projects I was working on so that will probably not happen now.

I dont agree about map01, I love that one, a really nice map to start with.

Wow! There are a ton of really nice maps in this collection. The one that really stands out is the level with the intricate courtyard and large castle, 14? 15? Well done all involved, this is a fine piece of work!