Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
fiend-o-hell

making explosions?

First off, thanks for taking the time to help me out with something that has had me scratching my head in anger.
Try as i might, i cant seem to come up with a stand alone explosion thing with sound using the DECORATE lump. Do i treat it as an actor, a projectile or what???

i dont know if im wording it right, so just to clear up some stuff, here's an example: the player pushes a switch which activates a script. The script causes a platform from behind to lower while at the same time spawning explosion things right infront of it (like dukenukem3d e1m2).

Thanks.

This one seems to work reasonably well - although it's animation is short because it only uses the 3 frames from the rocket explosion. You can summon it from the console, but you'll have to be running backwards when you do it so that you can see it because it spawns right on top of you and you can't see it. Of course, spawning it using a script would solve that problem.

ACTOR Explosion
{
RENDERSTYLE ADD
ALPHA 0.7
Radius 10
Height 32
ExplosionDamage 64
ExplosionRadius 128
Speed 0
Scale 1.5
SeeSound "world/barrelx"
PROJECTILE
+NOCLIP
States
{
Spawn:
    MISL B 5 BRIGHT
    MISL C 5 BRIGHT A_Explode
    MISL D 5 BRIGHT
    Stop
 }

}

See, thats the problem i have. How do i assign the explosion a spawn ID? I cant just put it like this:

------------------------
ACTOR Explosion
{
DoomEdNum <x>
SpawnNum <x>
RENDERSTYLE ADD
ALPHA 0.7
Radius 10
Height 32
ExplosionDamage 64
ExplosionRadius 128
Speed 0
Scale 1.5
SeeSound "exp/bexp"
PROJECTILE
+NOCLIP
States
{
Spawn:
MISL B 5 BRIGHT
MISL D 5 BRIGHT
Stop
}

}
----------------------------------

Sorry, I should of specified this. Im not to familiar with the DECORATE format and i dont see where it says on WIKI. Thanks.

ACTOR Explosion DoomEdNum
{
SpawnID byte
RENDERSTYLE ADD
ALPHA 0.7
Radius 10
Height 32
ExplosionDamage 64
ExplosionRadius 128
Speed 0
Scale 1.5
SeeSound "exp/bexp"
PROJECTILE
+NOCLIP
States
{
Spawn:
    MISL B 5 BRIGHT
    MISL D 5 BRIGHT
    Stop
 }

}

ok. Everything working smoothly! I have only one more question and its about the sound. It doesn't play at all. Ive experimented with a lot of sounds and a altered the SNDINFO lump many times. Whats wrong with it? Thanks.

The original that I posted certainly made a sound, but notice, I used the line

SeeSound "world/barrelx"

whereas subsequent listings have used

SeeSound "exp/bexp"

Unless you've added your own SNDINFO entry called exp/bexp, it doesn't exist. That could be your problem.

{SeeSound "world/barrelx"} is part of the iwad right? Thats the first one i tried and nothing. And yeah i did make my own entry in SNDINFO lump. Strage....?

Strange indeed. I checked the decorate before I posted it and it definitely worked - sound and all.

"world/barrelx" is a sound entry from the default SNDINFO found in zdoom.wad/gzdoom.pk3. It references the IWAD sound lump DSBAREXP. So, all that should be there and the entry is perfectly legal to use.

I've no idea why it isn't working. All I can suggest is that you double check the spelling of the entry in your decorate and your sndinfo.