Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Nightmare Doom

The Very Last Sprite Game ever made for the PC

I wonder what was the VERY last sprite FPS game (or batch) ever made for the PC before FPS games totally went 3D? (One of the last Sprite games I remeber seeing was this military game, but ever since then, the games ended up to be models)

discuss

Sprite games are made all the time by lame programmers, then ripped off by Michael J. Hardy.

That's just in the realm of FPSs though. Some pretty good non-FPSs that are sprite based are made all the time.

Powerslave came out in 1984 lol!

I'd have to say if any sprite games were made after the mid 90s they couldn't have gone very far.

Well, as far as games that RELY on sprites rather than using them for complex visuals such as explosions, I think...hmmm...the last version of Blood game out in 1998, I think. Also, there's the sequel to Redneck Rampage, which may have come out in 1999. MAY have. There are still plenty of sprite-based RPG games still being made, though I don't know how many of them make it to the PC.

GoatLord said:

Also, there's the sequel to Redneck Rampage, which may have come out in 1999.

Yep, MAY HAVE. Redneck rampage existed in 1998. I remember having played it in summer 98.

Gibaholic said:

Well were talking about the last game that used sprites for guns and enemys.. Not games that have them.

Nightmare Doom said:

I wonder what was the VERY last sprite FPS game (or batch) ever made for the PC before FPS games totally went 3D? (One of the last Sprite games I remeber seeing was this military game, but ever since then, the games ended up to be models)

discuss

Nowhere in the above does it state that it has to be for anything particular. If a game has sprites in it, then it's not totally 3D.

There are still plenty of sprite FPS out, with a few exceptions (IE, completely 3D games)

Have movies ever used sprites?

Also...I noticed Quake came pretty close to being fully 3-D. I remember how even the fire and muzzle shots were polygonal. The only things that weren't were the explosions, and this weird sphere-shaped light fixture in one level. Well, there are the particles used for blood and such, but I don't know if that counts.

Comiclez said:

Nowhere in the above does it state that it has to be for anything particular. If a game has sprites in it, then it's not totally 3D.
)

Sorry, I just assumed he meant by games that used sprites for the guns and enemys and mostly everything else.

Gibaholic said:

Well were talking about the last game that used sprites for guns and enemys.. Not games that have them.

This is what I'm talking about (and what this thread is based on)

I'd say myth II which was like 99 or 2000. Or the Green Beret game that used it's engine, which was 2001 I believe. The environments were 3d, but the characters were sprites.

I'd say kaiser is on to something here. I actually heard a while back that the Tick was part sprite based, never really thought much about it. But do a GIS for doom tick. Then look at the first picture, those legs are pretty obviously sprites. They probably did it because they're only used once in the game, you don't really see them very well, and there's alot of them.

Is it possible to make a life-like looking game with sprites?

Let's say someone was to make a game that had sprites that were 10,000*10,000 and were all made using a digital camera, had every angle possible... could you create a highly realistic looking enviroment, even more realistic than using polygons?

The filesize would be ridiculas, but could it be possible to make something like a holodeck from this method, or the closest thing that is possible currently?