Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
renagade

Another Dumb question involving Hexen format..

*sigh* okay... im trying to figure this out, and no matter how i do it wont work.

im making a decent sized pool for a courtyard portion for my level, and the depth of the pool is around 200 Units down and the ceiling is 120 units high.

well when i go to make the swimmable portion with the line def tag of " H Transfer Heights (209) " and ive tried it 10+ times.. do i set the highet of the ceiling/floor the oppsite of the pool or the same??

You have various options to do it. If you just want a pool filled with water you set the floor of the control sector to the height where you want the water surface, give the control sector's floor a water texture and use the arguments as Transfer_Heights(tag,6) if you don't want it swimmable and Transfer_Heights(tag, 14) if you want it swimmable. The control sector's ceiling height doesn't matter with these settings.

More information can be found here: http://www.zdoom.org/wiki/index.php?title=Transfer_Heights

um... I dont run wadauthor.. i only run Doom builder for making my maps.. and theres only 1 Transfer Height Line def for doom builder.

renagade said:

theres only 1 Transfer Height Line def

Correct. All the options Graf mentioned use the same line type - it just depends how you set the arguments on that line.

from last nights fight with the Transfer sector, it seems setting the flor of that sector to a curtain height will give the results that i wanted.. i guess when i want to make pools i will have to tweak it till its what i want.

set up the pool normally, but have the sector that will be changed the bottom of the pool (200), then create the control sector. Give one of the lines a transfer height linedef. Then, make the floor of the control sector the same as the base sector, but the ceiling the height of which you want the pool to be. The ceiling of the control sector determines what flat the ceiling underwater will be if you can understand that. The floor will determine the floor of the pool. The floor of the base sector will determine what flat the top of the pool will use, and the ceiling of the base will just be the ceiling.

Next, add a Deep Water thing in the control sector. Then, if you want colour in your pool, add colour to the control sector either by using a script, or by making the player run over a linedef which will change the colour of the control sector eg. blue 255.

Hope that helps.

evilhomerdoomer said:

Then, if you want colour in your pool, add colour to the control sector either by using a script, or by making the player run over a linedef which will change the colour of the control sector eg. blue 255.

You can set up underwater colour using the transfer heights line. If, instead of a texture, you enter the colour you want under the water as a lower sidedef value on the transfer heights line, the area under the water will be coloured according to that number. The number should be in the format AARRGGBB where AA = Alpha (how misty the effect is) plus Red Green and Blue values. All values should be in Hex (eg FF = 255 = max).

Also, Zdoom has support built in for the name WATERMAP. This is to help preserve backwards compat with Boom which came with a WATERMAP lump. If, instead of a number, you put the name WATERMAP on your transfer heights line's lower sidedef, Zdoom will generate a pleasing underwater colour. This colour is the same as entering the value 80004fa5 on the lower side, but easier to remember.