Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Khorus

Project Dark Zone

This is going to be my most atmospheric map I've created yet. It is still for skulltag.

Basically, you're a marine who's been called in to investigate an emergancy call. You'll have to find out what the problem is, eliminate it, then get out of there!

The theme is a dark tech base. I've also made some sprites to add effect to the map. I've created an empty shotgun shell casing and a bullet casing.

Here is a screen of the first hall.

http://img476.imageshack.us/my.php?image=doom00470yx.png

And a screen of a room

http://img476.imageshack.us/my.php?image=doom00468ts.png

And the most recent one, the next hall:

http://img466.imageshack.us/img466/7236/doom00520ci.png

Please post some feedback and tell us what you think.

Like Tormentor said. Be careful with what textures you use.

The Duke3d fan, Doorhi, Shawn3 textures mesh very poorly with the Q2 textures. I'm not too fond of the computer textures with the q2 textures either really. But that's more personal opinion than anything I assume.

Also, in the first shot, the empty shellcasings seem to glow in the dark.

Other than that, it's nice to see that you're progressing.

I don't think the texturing clashes so badly, and it could work ok if done properly (though I would probably limit the shiny doom2 silver stuff).

I personally wouldn't 'cut into' those large Quake2 textures as you have done with the computer screens and fans though. I don't think these fiddly little details add anything, and I actually think the quake2 textures would look better without them. The Q2 textures might also look a bit nicer if you Y-allign them up by 8 or 16 pixels.

More importantly though, I would try do make some rooms which aren't quite so cramped and square.

fraggle said:

"The Dark Zone" is the name of DM6 from Quake.

Hah, purely coincedence.

So how would I go abouts detail up walls and so? It looks empty with nothing there.

Oh, and shotgun shell prob is fixed, I've changed what they replace.

The support textures can easily be replaced, so no worries there.

Gameplay wise, it'll be alot less linear than my other creations. And that hall is def not cramped, it is 160 in width! But the compartment room is small, but it doesn't matter. No fighting will be taking place in a room in which you cannot take on an opponent.

Thanks for your comments.

not to Go off topic, But Is it better to edit in Zdoom (D In H format ) or Skull Tag (D in H format) ? is it any build diffrence between the two (other than the things)

and to keep the post on topic : those maps look awesome.. just the textures seem to clash a bit.. and the fans would be useful if you were doing an air vent type thing btw =) but then again.. its your map

renagade said:

not to Go off topic, But Is it better to edit in Zdoom (D In H format ) or Skull Tag (D in H format) ? is it any build diffrence between the two (other than the things)

and to keep the post on topic : those maps look awesome.. just the textures seem to clash a bit.. a

Yeah, I'm fixing these things right now. As for your ZDooM/Skulltag question, there are mionor differences, but I'm using Skuklltag for the sake of textures, community (needs more, uh, maps), and things.

And thank you for the appreciation.

and the fans would be useful if you were doing an air vent type thing btw =) but then again.. its your map

Heh, beat you to it ;)

SP with 8 co-op starts. I won't be testing co-op, and map 1 will def NOT be very fun in co-op. The maps don't work with dm as switches will need to be pulled to access each other.

Ah.. Cool cool, i would start with Skulltag.. but then i would have to waste one weeks work on a map im really proud off ( its not as good looking as others. but i learned some of the 3d like enviromental things and i like it.. been encouraged by my friend matt to continue =).. but i gotta switch over to deepsea to put the enemies in.. cause i cant get them to work in Doom builder. ))

renagade said:

but i gotta switch over to deepsea to put the enemies in.. cause i cant get them to work in Doom builder. ))

Well, if you find it hard to do it with DB, I doubt it'd help changing to Deepsea.

yes.. that is true.. but I found some nice enemies i would like to use for bosses in a couple of levels, thats all. (that and i dont wanna pass up a Nearly invisble cacodemon thats super fast and a PE that fires plasma instead of lost souls =))

EDIT: that and when i try to put the enemies in ( using the manual method ( putting in the TID in ) they come out as <!> and i havent figured out how to do this.

TRy copying all of the data from the resource wad into your wad using XWE or Wintex, then try.

I will try that once i get my wad done.. i keep making cool looking levels but they dont seem to set right with me.. so i scrap them =/ hmm.. oh well ill get it right eventually ** oh.. and theres a bit of a problem when i try to add skulltag items in 3D edit.. there not in the menu.. and when i add them manually and go into 3D mode.. they come out as the same coloured box.. but the sprite doesnt appear.. got any idea of whats happening?

Don't worry about it if it doesn't show in 3D mode, as long as it shows in the game. If it doesn't, then you got problems.

ah.. okay. Do you know anything about the bounce pads they use, i know its got something to do with the " actor hits floor " sector thing and the flag value is 2023.. but it seems to not work.. did you ever get it to work? That and the bridge objects.. i cant get them to show up on the 3D edit so i can make the platform portion of the bridge. is there a fix for that too??

I've never bothered with bridges or jump pads (I've had no need to), so I can't help you there.

As for the project, map 1 is now complete. I have another 5 or so to do.

Map 01 stats:

Sectors: 930

Linedefs: 3925

Vertices: 2978

Sidedefs: 6909

Things: 245 (around 40 monsters)

That means a ton to me, Torm :)

I have taken you're advice in regards to the brighter couloured textures, and have limited them like all hell.

dutch devil said:

The textures look nice though, looks like an old out of use uac base :)

Other than a UAC logo in one of the shots, I can't see any paralell to UAC in the design.

dutch devil said:

I don't see alot of larger rooms

Hurr, don't worry, these are just screens remember. I can't show you every room ;)

I really like the level shots of you new Zdoom/Skulltag map. I'm just wondering how many levels are you going to make. why don't you add some new weapons or are you going to use the ones in SkullTag

so anywhy it looks good
keep up the good work

Thanks. This will eature the skulltag weapons and monsters, yes. I can't add decorate weapons because skulltag does not have it yet, and I don't need any more weapons.