Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Judecca

Current Doom source ports

Wow, I haven't posted on the Doomworld forums since, like, 2003.

What Doom source port is everyone playing these days? Back when I stopped playing the classic Doom games, I was using ZDoom.

ZDoom for zdoom maps.
GZDoom for some Legacy maps. (I can't use it instead of ZDoom for some reasons)
PRBoom+ in all other cases.
DoomsDay for the Heretic and Hexen.

My default port is prboom+ (normally using the glboom.exe), which I use for any wads that it is capable of playing (i.e. vanilla, limit-removing or Boom-compatible). For wads that require the specific features of a particular port, I'll use that port (kind of obvious?).

As for which are most popular overall, I'd guess Zdoom, Legacy and Doomsday.

GZDoom for all ZDoom maps, Legacy maps, and Doom2.exe/limit removing/Boom maps that I feel I can finish in one sitting.

Risen3D for Doom2.exe/limit removing/Boom megawads, and maps that I feel I can't finish in one sitting.

PrBoom+ to watch demos and to mess around in sometimes.

That's pretty much it. If the rare map calls for another port that I can run, I'll use it; that's the only time I ever run anything other than the source ports mentioned above.

Nuxius said:

GZDoom for all ZDoom maps, Legacy maps, and Doom2.exe/limit removing/Boom maps that I feel I can finish in one sitting.

Risen3D for Doom2.exe/limit removing/Boom megawads, and maps that I feel I can't finish in one sitting.

Is there any reason for such a distinction?

Thanks for all the responses, guys. Doomsday = jDoom?

I downloaded jDoom and the 3D models, jacked up the resolution and played through most of episode one in one sitting for old time's sake. Even after years of not playing, I still remember where every enemy is, and it feels nice :) But it's not the Doom I remember. The frame rate seems far too high, I remember jerky movements and being able to watch spot individual monster sprite frames :p

I'll be sure to try Prboom+, unless anyone else has some good vanilla suggestions.

Judecca said:
I'll be sure to try Prboom+, unless anyone else has some good vanilla suggestions.

That should be a good choice for classic stuff in general without having to worry about limits of any sort (such as VPOs, Medusa effects, etc.) that plagued a few old wads, and giving you numerous options to tweak stuff without fundamnetally changing the game; to complement it you might want to try Chocolate Doom, that aims to emulate Doom at its most basic level on Windows XP and Linux.

A page with most, if not all source ports can be found here.

If you want (near) perfect Vanilla Doom action on newer OSes i'd suggest you try Chocolate Doom as it says on the page above, it aims to emulate the original DOS executable behavior as closely as possible. I'm also a fan of the Eternity source port, so i suggest you give that a go :P.

EDIT: myk smells :(

Will do. Much appreciated guys!

EDIT: I tried Chocolate Doom. There's a graphical error, the top part of the screen (just a little bit, the message area mostly) is at the bottom of my screen, and it doesn't look like there's a whole lot I can do about it.

I had the same problem with Prboom+, although when I changed my screen resolution to anything above the default of 320x200, the problem disappears. I also noticed a lack of a sound bias modification in Prboom+... I needed it because the music seems to be exclusively coming out of my left speaker (my speakers are functioning fine). Although sound FX come out normally, in terms of positional bias.

ZDoom works. I think it's gonna be my vanilla-ish port of choice.

PrBoom first because it has a Debian package and I like it (it has the vintage feelings), then ZDoom because it’s cool and compiles in Debian.

PrBoom/PrBoom+ for most everything else thats not here.
ZDoom for wads that require it and its excellent netcode.
GZDoom for Legacy wads and as your general GL port.
Chocolate Doom for the truest Vanilla feel not using Vanilla.

Judecca said:

I also noticed a lack of a sound bias modification in Prboom+... I needed it because the music seems to be exclusively coming out of my left speaker (my speakers are functioning fine).

That's an old sdl bug that has been fixed. The current versions of the relevant sdl diles are included in the prboom+ package. Extract them from there and overwrite the old versions.

Joe said:

If you want (near) perfect Vanilla Doom action on newer OSes i'd suggest you try Chocolate Doom as it says on the page above, it aims to emulate the original DOS executable behavior as closely as possible.

Actually, the current prboom+ is a bit closer to vanilla in terms of behavioral compatibility, as it fixes some dehacked issues and can attempt to emulate some of Doom2.exe's memory overflows. In terms of visual and sound behaviour, Chocolate is closer of course (it's designed to be), and prboom+ is more tolerant towards bugs and mapping errors.

I've never had PRBoom+ installed on this computer before... the only .dll files there are are the ones from the zip from the latest version (I believe it's the latest - it's 2.3.1).

What about ZDoom or other ports? I have the same problem with music on them too.

Judecca said:

I've never had PRBoom+ installed on this computer before... the only .dll files there are are the ones from the zip from the latest version (I believe it's the latest - it's 2.3.1).

Argh! No, that's the latest version of the experimental branch of the regular prboom. It's actually a lot older than prboom+.

prboom+ is here, and the current version is 2.2.6.25.

Hmm, maybe the change in branding from "prboom-plus" to "prboom+" wasn't such a good idea...

Oh. My bad, thanks :)

How can I solve the problem in other ports, though?

EDIT: I tried the version of PRBoom+ in the link you posted. The sound bug is fixed, but now there's a much more severe one... every time I get shot, or I pick up an item, the game freezes for about a second...

Check your sound volume control ("play control" or whatever it is called in your OS version), and put the "balance" for midi in the centre. Then it should be OK again (this was the thing that the old dll was screwing about with; the current version won't).

Edit (in response to your edit): no idea; I've never had anything remotely like that. There might be something else running on your system that doesn't agree with it. Or try using glboom.exe rather than prboom.exe (same basic program, different renderer). And if you use prboom.exe, try a variety of different resolutions. Another thing you can try is "Alt Mouse Handling" (Options - Setup - Status Barr/HUD - 3rd page of options). Or disable some of the prboom+'s visual enhancements, such as smooth movement. (Or in glboom.exe, detail textures and multisampling, if they are turned on.)

Hey, might as well while I'm here...

Where can I find some highly rated wads, possibly reviewed wad sites? I remember back in the day I used to play the Vanguard wad... something like that :)

http://www.doomworld.com/links/?category=4
Some are dead, but two of the biggies, Doom Underground and Sir Robin are still there. To stay a tiny bit on-topic, both those sites list the minimum port requirements (if any) for each wad.

http://www.doomworld.com/10years/bestwads/ is useful too.

This thread mentions most of the other major ones.

For some of the older sites, Internet Archive might help. For instance: old gginc.org reviews (some missing though).

Judecca said:
ZDoom works. I think it's gonna be my vanilla-ish port of choice.

Quoted for amusement's sake :)

I recently read a statement somewhere that Legacy was the most vanilla-ish port. I found that even more amusing! ;)

Graf Zahl said:

I recently read a statement somewhere that Legacy was the most vanilla-ish port. I found that even more amusing! ;)

How can I grab the plasmagun on MAP01 in ZDoom?
How can I slide in right directions only in ZDoom?
Zdoom isn't vanilla-ish port. It is obvious.

He never said ZDooM was close to vanilla DooM, only that he was amused when he heard that Legacy DooM was apparantly the most vanilla doom port.

I use skulltag for anything an everything on topic.

entryway said:
How I can grab the plamagun on MAP01 in ZDoom?

By doing it the same way it was originally intended: You jump to it from the lift. ;)

How I can slide in right directions only in ZDoom?

What do you mean by 'right direction'. Sorry for asking but even when there were no source port I never really cared about speedrunning tricks.

Zdoom isn't vanilla-ish port. It is obvious. [/B]

I never said that ZDoom is vanilla-ish but IMO Legacy is even less because it has changed some things that shouldn't have been changed at all.

Graf Zahl said:

By doing it the same way it was originally intended: You jump to it from the lift. ;)

heh. It is very comfortable!

What do you mean by 'right direction'. Sorry for asking but even when there were no source port I never really cared about speedrunning tricks.

Only on the north in most cases.

I never said that ZDoom is vanilla-ish but IMO Legacy is even less because it has changed some things that shouldn't have been changed at all.

Last version of the Legacy reboots my computer always when I start it. It is very comfortable also.
And thanks for support of legacy maps in your own port. Some legacy maps are very fine.

The most Vanilla-ish port thats really, truly, useful in todays community is PrBoom(+). Choco Doom wins being vanilla but fails stuff like the fact it still has limits and it doesnt have any sort of Win32 or Linux setup program. ZDoom is just that, its ZDoom, Doom with enhancements and extras that come with the Z label.

BTW that 10 years of Doom is a great place to get wads from 1994-2003, but doesnt cover up to today. The 11th and 12th cacowards is pretty good to get wads made since then, though even through all those lists there are some real gems you can (and will) miss if you dont look around.

11th Cacowards: http://www.doomworld.com/11years/
12th Cacowards: http://www.doomworld.com/12years/

HobbsTiger1 said:

The most Vanilla-ish port thats really, truly, useful in todays community is PrBoom(+).

But only if you switch off all the MBF extensions. Some of them are even more intrusive than the stuff ZDoom is doing.

Graf Zahl said:

But only if you switch off all the MBF extensions. Some of them are even more intrusive than the stuff ZDoom is doing.

PRBoom config saiz:
# Misc settings
default_compatibility_level 1

I think that turns off any intrusive MBF features. The problem with ZDooms compat options is they arent complete, and some nice ones arent there.

Hobbs: note the new compat levels in the latest prb+ (2 for Doom2.exe, 3 for Ultimate Doom). And with the latest version, it actually has slightly better demo compatibility (see the changelog) with vanilla than Chocolate-Doom does (though I presume fraggle will add the relevant new code to chocdoom soon enough).

Graf: If you use the cfgs provided with prb+, then these have all the MBF stuff turned off, so the "straight out of the box" settings are quite vanilla-like (not full demo compat, but close enough for most purposes). I'd prefer it if the engine defaults (i.e. what it chooses if it finds no cfg) were also the non-MBF options, but at least now unsuspecting users who just extract all the stuff from the zip and don't adjust the settings won't have the modified monster behaviour.

BTW, talking of compat options, the lost soul limit seems to be gone in recent (G)Zdooms. (Doom2 map09 is the easiest place to test the behaviour: with the limit, on HMP they should be able to produce 3 lost souls before hitting the limit, and on UV they shouldn't be able to produce any until 13 lost souls have been killed.)