Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
purist

Doom95

Quick question: Does Doom95 eliminate VPO errors? I didn't get any testing a level recently that I'm sure suffered them in the old doom2.exe - though certain graphics looked a bit mangled.

It increases the limit a bit; I know some maps that were tested with Doom95 and suffer VPOs using Doom2. That said, I've overheard that on some maps you can get VPOs in Doom95 and not in Doom, but I've never confirmed such thing. If it were true it'd mean they handle the limit differently.

Graphics mangled how?

Mangled as in a door was transparant and the area that suffered VPOs in Doom2.exe looked as if it had missing textures. Also, Spectres looked odd - as if the were covering in a sort of coloured static

The Spectres/partial invisibility glitch can be fixed; check my post on this thread. It's related to the graphics card; I get it on my Windows 98 machine if I don't apply the command line parameter, too.

myk said:

That said, I've overheard that on some maps you can get VPOs in Doom95 and not in Doom, but I've never confirmed such thing. If it were true it'd mean they handle the limit differently.

Not necessarily. The higher resolution alone can be reason enough for more visplanes. It had to be some extreme cases though.

Slightly off topic, but I can play a pwad through in Doom95 without any errors is it safe to assume it is compatible with all the major ports?

Pretty much, unless the map relies on some unusual (quirky) features or tricks that aren't supported in particular ports.

Though if you really wanted to, there are all sorts of ways you could construct maps that work in vanilla or Doom95, but won't work in most ports.

Thanks Grazza, I was just wondering because I was testing for compatibility in Doom95. I think I'm finally close to releasing a definitive bug-free version of my pwad Canary Squadron.

To assist you, here is a checklist of the tag problems that were still in "canfix":

Linedefs with invalid tags (tag missing):
map02: 1024, 1327 (two short ones either side of the blue key door)
map05: 426, 429 (you will definitely have noticed these ones!)

In map05, linedef 72 isn't tagged to anything (no sector has tag 11). If you did mean this to trigger a crusher somewhere, you'll need to give the relevant sector that tag.

Thanks Grazza, I'd missed that tag in MAP02 and forgot about the crusher tag. I've uploaded the (here's hoping) final version of Canary Squadron (cansquad.wad) with those (and several other) errors corrected. I've included a note with the pwad requesting the previous versions (canary.wad & canfix.wad) to be removed.

a bit off topic, but how are spectres supposed to look? i always see them as pixellated versions of the background, like semitransparent tv static. is that wrong? I've been playing it wrong all these years?

Heh, insertwackynamehere, don't tell me you've never seen a screenshot of Doom. Some newer released source based engines can make then look like transparent pink Demons (like the semi-invisibility in Heretic), but that's different. The wrong look in Doom95 is a Direct X related issue that affects some video cards/drivers and makes anything semi-invisible look garishly yellow and reddish (but still static-like.)