Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Janizdreg

Calling all id Anthology owners

Most of you probably know that the id Anthology included "The Book of id", a highly interesting document for anyone interested in pre-Quake II id Software games (if you don't know what the book includes, read this post).

I'm sure the majority of the Doom community would be interested in getting their hands on the book, but it's nowadays pretty much impossible. BUT I do know that a few DW forum citizens (at least Grazza, Enjay, Mogul & Dusty) have the id Anthology. Therefore I'm asking you few lucky bastards a big favour: scan the entire booklet and share the scans with the community... please.

fodders said:

COPYRIGHT?

COPYWRONG?

I dont know, this is iffy at best, I believe the FAQ says something about not scanning any copyrighted material and sharing it here.

Both the id antholoy book and comic still hold their copyright agreements. But at this point id doesn't make money of either because they have been out of print for about nine years them selves, so no one really cares if scanned materials are released.

no

this will only depreciate the whole value of the legendary id anthology, and make rise to more newbies who claim to "own" it.

i hated how they shoved a CGA version of keen 6 on it though

gargoylol said:

this will only depreciate the whole value of the legendary id anthology

I don't think anyone really cares about that point. In fact, I'm pretty sure the reason Janizdreg wants a scan of the "Book of id" is because it's nigh on impossible to get otherwise.

TheDarkArchon said:

I don't think anyone really cares about that point. In fact, I'm pretty sure the reason Janizdreg wants a scan of the "Book of id" is because it's nigh on impossible to get otherwise.

Same reason I want it. I may have missed my opportunity to get it but I'd love to read the neat tidbits found in that booklet. Besides I own all the id games so spending 100+ on eBay for a book is ridiculous. Besides who gives a shit if a few kids claim they own something, and chances are it would never happen.

Probably is that by scanning you could damage the book, my suggestion is that these who own the book coordinate what pages scan each.

The book of id forms the centre pages of the disk wallet. There are 4 CDs. The hard covered wallet is about 14 x 25.5 cm in size. When you open the cover, the first 2 disks are on the inside (one above the other). The book of id then comes in the form of a wad (ahem) of pages in the middle, then the final 2 disks are on the inside back cover.

The way the thing is sandwiched together, I suspect it would be quite hard to fold the book flat enough to scan well without doing at least some damage to the book or wallet. I did scan a couple of pages some time ago and I remember getting it flat enough to scan all of the picture I wanted was quite difficult. Doing the whole book and getting it flat enough to read all the text etc would be equally hard, and damage would be quite likely I suspect.

If I had the booklet myself I would scan em even at some risk of wear. After all once the pages are scanned we have digital distributions of them for the net.

As someone who wants to soak up id-related information like a sponge, I would love to have a .pdf of the anthologies on hand...
But, as someone who would put immense value should one of those babies drop into my hands, I wouldn't suggest anyone do anything to damage it.

kc32 said:

Maybe id still has the files for it?

Chances are its activison who put it together. Hope one day I would be lucky enough to find the collection.

Technician said:

Chances are its activison who put it together. Hope one day I would be lucky enough to find the collection.

Nope, GT Interactive only did it. The anthology is dated around October 1996, so

I bought the anthology way back in '96. I lost the book that came with it a long time ago, though. And if I'm not mistaken, I think it was Activision who put it together. I might be wrong though.

And what about using a digital camara? Even web-cam shots are better than nothing.

Vegeta said:

And what about using a digital camara? Even web-cam shots are better than nothing.

I was thinking that. Just open the book as far as you can and take some hi-res shots of it.

I have the id anthology and Doom Comic in mint condition (except my cyberdemon is damaged :() and I agree with Enjay it's hard to scan the book without damaging it.

Plus yes, the copyright is still there, so it is still a shade doubtful, maybe it's an idea to ask Romero what he can show via rome.ro?

We all know that it still is officially licensed. But the Question is; Does id care? They made all the money they will ever make on the collection. Only kits selling are private or pawn shops and is doesn't see a penny. Also with GT interactive shutting down we will never see another copy made. I don’t think id has the original press or layout to a manual that’s nine years old.

They should just make more of them and start selling those. Every once in a while on ebay I see one but it is near $100-150.

pritch said:

Here are a couple of pics of the comic and inside the box. I'll try and check out the legals and see if I can do close-up ictures of the book inside.

Doom Comic

id anthology

The id Anthology pic is familiar to me... wasn't that inverted Icon of Sin in the Biowar TITLEPIC?

It used to be the index of their homepage way back when (1997) with the text "Do you have a deathwish?"