Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Kelzam

Mortal Kombat: Armageddon... 60+ fighters O_O

From the new Game Informer...

Summary:

-Every character to ever been in a MK game will be in Armageddon including Sareena, Rain, Jarek, Fujin, Reiko and even Stryker! (among others)
-The picture of Reiko shows him wearing Shao Kahn's armor...
-Boon wants to tie all the loose ends and endings with this game
-This may be the last game with Scorpion and Sub-zero ........
-This will most likely been Shang Tsung's last tournament (in the story)
-Air combat will be greatly improved like back in the day with the side scrolling combat. MK 1-3.
-An all new Konquest Mode that will play very similar to shaolin monks
-We ill be able to do custom fatalilites with every character its like a build your own fatal. each character will have a pre set of around 20 moves they can do after it says finish him/her and we the player decided what to do and what other to do it.
-Every MK character is playable in the tournament mode
-Create a character looks to be very highly customizable
-Theres a new type of krypt to unlock everything again

and much more!!!

Article:
"MORTAL KOMBAT ARMAGEDDON
THE FINAL DROP OF BLOOD

"The theme of finality came up when we were determining whether we should move on to the next generation or create one last game for the current consoles," recalls Mortal Kombat's creator, Ed Boon. "Finality drove the whole story. It drove the feature sets. It's the last step in this generation. By wrapping things up, we can move on to the next generation with the slate wiped clean."

Leaving the current generation with the series in it's current state is comparable to turning off Star Wars before the Death Star is destroyed, or The Lord of the Rings before the One Ring is cast back into the fire. In a way, Mortal Kombat: Armageddon will bring with it an end to an era -- the final battle for a generation. When the last drop of blood is spilled, Shang Tsung's deadly tournament will likely reach its conclusion. "I want to see a pan shot over a battlefield that is smoldering and littered with bodies," says Boon. "It's going to be this massive culmination of things. I can't imagine that we'll come back [in the next generation] and not have a Sub-Zero or Scorpion, but my feeling is that I would like to introduce as much newness as is possible."

To ensure that all of the loose ends are properly tied up, every character that has ever thrown a punch in a Mortal Kombat tournament is suiting up for another round in Armageddon. "We really want to play up the nostalgia factor of it," comments Boon. Just looking at the roster of 60-plus combatants will assuredly bring back a flood of memories for fans. Did you ever really think you would see Stryker again?

This immense roster is just a small taste of the new material that will be included in this explosive finale. This installment will also house the reinvention of the Fatality system, the implementation of the series' first create-a-fighter mode, the evolution of combat through aerial maneuvers, plus the transformation of Konquest mode -- which could very well double as a stand alone game like Shaolin Monks.

"We can only do this mass amount of content because it's the current generation," injects Boon. "We're not reinventing the display engine." As the future of the series looms ever closer, Armageddon will serve as a bridge between generations, bringing with it a sense of closure for fans, while still leaving the series open for rebirth.

-In the Kreate-a-Fighter feature you are given six pages of options in creating your custom fighter. Everything from nose size, eye angle, color of garments, belt, and even your own fighting style. But your own fighting style isn't just assigning a preset fighting style to character, but instead you actually get to assign every attack you can make and name the fighting style whatever you want to!

-Another big feature that was elaborated further in the issue is the expansion of the new Fatality system. Now instead of just watching a Fatality act out like a movie or play, instead you will be able to control every step in the Fatality. You will be given a set allotment of time to execute various movements, some exclusive to your fighter, to decimate your victim. The amount of possible moves are not set in stone yet, it depends on how much they can squeeze into the game's memory.

-Also they mention that the old Krypt is now going to be revamped and called The Vault now. Now you will not have to focus on one area of the game to unlock the Vault contents, instead content can be unlocked from all the various game modes. That means if you don't like Konquest, you could still unlock the hidden content via the Arcade mode instead.

-Finally, one sad note is that the former mini games, Puzzle Kombat and Chess are not making a return in this game. Instead there is a mention of a new "strange" online multiplayer game that supports up to 8 players at once.

[edit]

I can't post full page scans of the article, but on other sites its fine to scan in single pictures and post them (just as long as its not an entire article), so I thought it should be fine here. Heres two pics:

The Kombatants (not all of them, however):

Kintaro and Rain:

I haven't bought a MK game since MKT for PS, but if I can, I sure as fuck will get this (if it is true that literally all the characters are in it).

Come on dude, rocking ass as Kintaro...yes.

Mortal Kombat is supposedly a crappy fighting game but I love it in most of its versions. I want this!

Added a couple pics. Should be fine since they aren't full article scans that depict actual text from the article.

TheDarkArchon said:

Needs more chopping.

Maybe this time he'll show us how to baste a turkey :P

Clear up confusion, it says "I can't imagine that we'll come back [in the next generation] and not have a Sub-Zero or Scorpion, but my feeling is that I would like to introduce as much newness as is possible." So it sounds like they're probably going to keep them in, but have as many new characters as possible. An MK game without those two though... well that's just not MK. They should probably keep Raiden in too.

Anyways, this sounds pretty sweet. I haven't bought an MK since Trilogy, MK 4 blew, and that one side scroller with sub-zero... well I try to forget I ever played that one. But hot damn, 60 characters, lots of fatalities, I may just have to check this one out.

I'd pick this up as long as it has all the characters they promise and good costumes for them...I'd hate to have to be either Shredder Sub-Zero or...his other MKD comstume...same with Reptile, and in that pic you posted, he appears to be his lizard self. :(

MK Deception was a sorry excuse for a fighting game. I don't know what reason I have to believe that MK Armageddon will be any better when not a word has passed anyone's lips about how Boon and co. intend to improve the actual versus combat.

but who cares, right? There's Fatalities! Create a fighter! 60+ characters! An archive of unlockable concept art! In the day and age of the online fighter, I have no idea why the MK team sees the need to fill a versus fighting game (which is multiplayer by nature) with a superficial single-player experience in lieu of a decent versus fighting engine. There is more replay value to something like Street Fighter: Anniversary Edition than the last three MK games combined.

Liam said:

MK Deception was a sorry excuse for a fighting game. I don't know what reason I have to believe that MK Armageddon will be any better when not a word has passed anyone's lips about how Boon and co. intend to improve the actual versus combat.

but who cares, right? There's Fatalities! Create a fighter! 60+ characters! An archive of unlockable concept art! In the day and age of the online fighter, I have no idea why the MK team sees the need to fill a versus fighting game (which is multiplayer by nature) with a superficial single-player experience in lieu of a decent versus fighting engine. There is more replay value to something like Street Fighter: Anniversary Edition than the last three MK games combined.

Well, as the article said, this is a finalization of MK on the current gen consoles. Alot of players who played MK wanted them to have a new engine for the next MK, but taking into consideration that when they're doing Armageddon as they are so they can start with a clean slate, this could very well be the end of Mortal Kombat, period. If it isn't, with the new technology available to them on the PS3 and XBox 360, most likely they'll look at a different engine.

But hey, atleast they didn't keep the MK4 engine until now...

Liam said:

...but who cares, right? There's Fatalities! Create a fighter! 60+ characters! An archive of unlockable concept art! In the day and age of the online fighter, I have no idea why the MK team sees the need to fill a versus fighting game (which is multiplayer by nature) with a superficial single-player experience in lieu of a decent versus fighting engine.

Not to mention an utter lack of boob-age overall in many of the games, which is painfully vital in any current day fighter. For Shame.

Ralphis said:

Since when did Rain start looking badass and not being a ninja clone

That's what surprised me most when I saw the article. I always liked Rain, and I was afraid if they ever used him again they'd completely screw up on him. I just hope he has some of his original moves (plus some new ones).

Marty Razor Kirra said:

Why do half of those characters not have original renders? I am vouching to say...ah whatever. I look foward to this.

Most of those characters haven't seen 3D renders since MK4 or before during the sprite days, and MK4 renders were really bad.

I don't believe this at all though...60+? This seems a litte fishy.

EDIT: ok, I've seen the magazine. That's awesome, look legit! I saw Kai, Fujin, Sheeva...hell this is gonna be awesome! MK Trilogy with a story!

Xenphire said:

Well, as the article said, this is a finalization of MK on the current gen consoles. Alot of players who played MK wanted them to have a new engine for the next MK, but taking into consideration that when they're doing Armageddon as they are so they can start with a clean slate, this could very well be the end of Mortal Kombat, period. If it isn't, with the new technology available to them on the PS3 and XBox 360, most likely they'll look at a different engine.

you misunderstand. The primary qualification for a good versus fighting engine is that it retains integrity and some semblance of game balance at both the casual and highly competitive levels of play. The technology availiable to the designers is irrelevant; the SNES port of Street Fighter 2 Turbo had a better versus fighting engine than MK:DA or MK Deception did.

I'm glad they are bringing back Reiko. Reiko kicked so much ass in MK4. Since he is wearing Shao Kahn's armor I wonder what his story is in this one.

Rotting Corpse said:

I'm glad they are bringing back Reiko. Reiko kicked so much ass in MK4. Since he is wearing Shao Kahn's armor I wonder what his story is in this one.

Then what is shao khan gonna wear? Unless he is the boss, it seems stupid though has he is not dead thanks to teh gamecube.

I don't think the designers are all that worried about continuity, and are more worried about how many fighters they can throw in.

Continuity is pretty pointless in a fighting game though. Who plays these things for the story? The more characters with a distinct set of moves the better. And that seems to be what they're going for, so I think it'll be pretty kick ass. Plus MK has the nostalgia value, who doesn't remember when they first fried someone with Scorpion, or ripped someones heart out with Kano? Or managed to uppercut three heads off someone with Johnny Cage.

60+ Fighters?
A create-a-fighter?
Custom Fatalities?
A Konquest mode that doesn't suck???

This will surely rock harder than any MK game has ever rocked before.

Marty Razor Kirra said:

Then what is shao khan gonna wear? Unless he is the boss, it seems stupid though has he is not dead thanks to teh gamecube.

have ya ever seen Reikos MK4 ending? He is sitting on khan's thorne and wearing Kahn's mask.

But it's not Khan. Boon has said so himself, his team didn't do the FMV endings for the PS1. Also, he is NOT wearing Khan's armor. Khan is wearing his armor in the back of the pic. Reiko is just wearing armor similar to it.

Marty Razor Kirra said:

But it's not Khan. Boon has said so himself, his team didn't do the FMV endings for the PS1. Also, he is NOT wearing Khan's armor. Khan is wearing his armor in the back of the pic. Reiko is just wearing armor similar to it.

True, but they cant unmake the fmv moive so if they were smart they would base his story off it. I wouldnt be sruprized if in MK:A Reiko turns to related to Kahn or some thing like that.

Yes the can, most of the time they ignore the character endings and just make one up. Endings are canon, though Reptile in MA:DA is a big exception.

BTW, did anyone notice Reptile's third eye, and Blaze having one just like it? Lizard Reptile rocks!

They made fun of the Reiko/Kahn armor thing in MK Deception's Konquest mode. When you talk to Shao Kahn in Outworld, he says something about knowing that Reiko has been wearing his armor, and sends you out to find Reiko and tell him not to do it again, and Reiko acts somewhat sheepish and goes on about how someday he'll overthrow Kahn blah blah blah.

Reiko is a general of Shao Kahn's army. As such, I would imagine he would wear Kahn-like armor, since all of Kahn's army men did in Konquest mode in Deception.