Naked Snake

Multiplayer Types

What should DOOM 3 have? I think

DM <--No shit
Co-Op <--Ditt-fucking-o
CTF <--New life for new DOOM
Bots <--For people with a shitty net connection
Teamplay DM <--Two or three teams killing eachother

And the max players would be like...hmm...12.

They definately should have co-op...no FPS game has had that since Duke Nukem, none that I've played. A 12 player max is good, except for team-fortress games, where more=better...usually.

Us vs the World: All the players going against wave after wave of monsters. Get points for *hurting* monsters, and more points for killing bigger monsters. He who has the most (or is the last frood standing) wins!

Squad DM: Team deathmatch, but smaller teams and more of 'em. Imagine 6 teams of four players each going at it tooth and nail... *drool*

Defintely coop. Now with internet play, it would be great.

Also it should have some Assault type maps (basically objective/defend type of matches), and some other game types where they include unique map sets

I want the multiplayer aspect to be just as important and deep as the singleplayer.

I always had the idea of player classes in deathmatch. Basically 3 classes, light/medium/and heavy. Light u jump higher, move faster, less health, less armor. Heavy move slow, jump lower, more health, more armor. Medium is in the middle. And maybe throw in some class specific abilities and equipment. Such as only the Heavy character can pick up the brand new BFG 1 Million, or only the Medium class possesses the new cloaking device. A few more modifications, and I think they would be distinct from each other enough to work and be fun.

Us vs the World: All the players going against wave after wave of monsters. Get points for *hurting* monsters, and more points for killing bigger monsters. He who has the most (or is the last frood standing) wins!

I think that this is the first time anybody here has mentioned an idea remotely like that. I think it would be a definate great idea. There are all sorts of versions of Deathmatch, but very few versions of co-op. I doubt id will include it, but it sounds like a good mod idea.

John Carmack, Doom programmer and all round smarty man, has said you certainly won't have the 'mosh-pit' deathmatches like Quake, with twenty people falling all over each other. Because the character models are so detailed and the pace of the game will be lower than any previous id game, it would be more suited for small, 1 to 4 player deathmatches. Just like the original Doom, funnily enough.

Of course cooperative was one of the brilliant things about Doom, and id would be stupid not to include it in some way. And even if they don't include it, I'm sure there will be more than enough people willing to write a coop Doom mod.

People, don't expect anything bigger than DM, Team DM and maybe Coop. Singleplay is the absolute focus, these modes are *JUST* there to show off there is a network code included.

Mods will shape Doom's multiplayer, pretty much like what we see today regarding the old Dooms.

I think Raven had the right idea when they decided to focus on the single-player aspects in-house, whilst subcontracting the multiplayer aspect to another developer with close ties to the main house. Return to Wolf looks like it will kick ass single-player, and anybody who's played the online beta knows the game kicks ass multiplayer.

Remember: just 'cuz the developer starts out disregarding the MP in favor of the SP doesn't mean it'll stay that way after the game ships. Half-Life DM, if you haven't played it, pretty much blew chunks. The game elements and weapons that made the SP such a kick didn't really cut it in multiplayer (explosive crossbow bolts? WTF?). Then Valve came out with TFC and Half-Life's SDK, and the rest, as they say, is history.

I just hope Doom is as moddable as its predesessors, and that the mods are as easy to implement in-game as, say, Half-Life or UT. (Am I the only one who thinks Quake 3's mod implementaion could have been done better?)

They definately should have co-op...no FPS game has had that since Duke Nukem, none that I've played.

Serious Sam is very cool, hundreds of enemys and DooM-like fights. Co-op play was impressive !

What about that ? One player ist the D°°M-Guy and the others are monsters :) Some of them have to sneak because they are small and injurable(hmm?), others are big and noisy...whatever, if done right it coul'd be funny ;|
But, hmm it would be too much extra programming...i think.

Ummh, lot's of stuff.

# Raven isn't making RTCW. It's Gray Matter (sp) and Nerve (mp).

# Serious Sam sucks, but decent in coop.

# Q3 might be less mod-friendly than say UT or HL, but at least there's some good stuff.

# One of DooM's focus is to be as user friendly as it can when it comes to editing.

# Q3 might be less mod-friendly than say UT or HL, but at least there's some good stuff.

Ok, UT sux when it comes to mods. The way it handles mods is just adding some mutators and, changing the play mode. Plus, each mod u add, adds more memory usage which results in stuttering.

Also you seem to have the assumption that iD will neglect the multiplayer entirely. I dont think this is gona happen. Id did say they will concentrate on single, but they never mentioned that multi will be neglected, and I strongly doubt it will.

They actually said MP is not a focus. Now, unless they hire someone external to do it (no way : $$$) it's not gonna be as developed as say Halo or UT.

Games are so complex these days doing MP & SP is little different than actually doing 2 separate games. Doesn't really matter cause everyone just plays Counter-strike, so... :P

Thre shouldnt be ANY multiplayer modes that involve teams except Co-op. It ruins the atmostphere of all-for-one in the oringinal doom and single player

They actually said MP is not a focus. Now, unless they hire someone external to do it (no way : $$$)

How about Nerve Software ? They're working on the multiplayer component of Return to Castle Wolfenstein, and I wouldn't be surprised if they worked on Doom's MP as well.

But DooM's a cashcow, I don't know...30% to 40% of the sales to Nerve? Hell, no. That's a bad idea.

Besides, it's obvious that Quake4 will be the REAL id-flavored multiplayer platform. At least that means a huge drop in the amount of l33t kiddies we'll be facing in the next years...

if there will be DM in DOOM3 ,i want it to be fast paced .COOP mode must be great too.id can hire other develpor like Gray Matter or Nerve to do the MP.

This strikes me as something rather odd. Quake II was soppoised to be more focused on single player than anything else, but would up being used for its multi-player mods instead. I REALLY hope doom goes back to spingle player mods more than multi. I'm kinda tired of finding millions of multi-player mods and one or two uncompleated single player mods for Quake III and Half-life. I think the 4 player max dm is a swell idea and probabily a smart more on id's part.

I'm pretty sure there will be tons of SP mods for DooM 3. Quake's the choice for MP, that's where Lithium, Rocket Arena, Painkeep and Urban Terror live and breathe.

DooM, on the other hand, screams for eerie enviroments, exploration and survival. I'll be doing a SP mod for this one, and I hope you people too.

I'll be doing a SP mod for this one, and I hope you people too.

Hell yeah. Once the Doom 3 Test is out I'll probably put up a seperate post about this, but just out of curiousity : who of the people in this forum are planning on making Doom 3 single player mods/maps ? If there's enough people here with the enthusiasm (and some technical background... basic DEU 5.1 knowledge won't cut it, I'm afraid ;) we could get together and form a team or something. Just a thought.

I made a post like that some time ago, remember? Some kind of multiple poll.

The results weren't really impressing.

But DooM's a cashcow, I don't know...30% to 40% of the sales to Nerve? Hell, no. That's a bad idea.

Actually, the money coming to id from the sale of Doom 3 will be a drop in the bucket compared to what they're gonna make lisencing Carmack's engine to every Tom, Dick, and Heinrick. Think about it: Every single game that's been made using the (classic) Doom engine, the Q1, Q2, or Q3 engines... id has been getting a few cents for each and every one of those games, along with a rather pleasant fee up-front for the right to use the engine and the SDK that comes along with it. If the new Doom eninge is half as cool as id's advertising, they'll be able to charge even more for its use. How d'you think Carmack can afford that Ferrari? ^_^

id will be selling the engine just as much, if not more, than the game itself. That's why we've seen so many pretty (scary) screenshots and not a damn thing about the game. Raven has already cut the check to id to use the engine in Quake 4. Many other developers will do the same even before Doom 3 comes out.

Sure, but I guess id wants to truly show us they can make a kickass game by their own. Letting others to make the mp part might ruin the "id" part. Think about it, MP games sell a lot, and I mean a lot. If this thing was called "Damnation" instead of DooM it could be exposed to fairly low sales.

Anyway, yeah, we'll see lot's of games with this engine...and if you take a look at id's website you'll see the Q3 engine costs an initial fee of $300.000 and 8% royalty over sales. Makes you wonder how much will the new engine cost. Half a million sounds pretty.

I always thought it was brilliantly artistic the way the id designers were always able to effectiveley use the SP maps for MP, most map designers couldnt do that well.

Plus its just interesting to see how the map has "metamorphosed" into this new architecture