Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Higher Game

Do pros only move to entertain spectators?

I just had this wild idea. Doom (and other game) hardcore players have such a great aim, it doesn't really matter if they try and dodge or not; they always get a hit. This is especially notable when a railgun is used.

The only pro matches I've seen are tournaments designed to sell products to wannabes. In these matches, the pro players jump and run around all the time.

Here's my theory. If they were truly pros, they wouldn't jump or dodge at all because their accuracy would be near perfect, and hitting a moving target isn't any harder than stationary to them.

It's all an act, like professional wrestling. The tourneys are all set up to make some famous players like Fatality sell goods. In a real match that the general public won't see, they wouldn't even move, except to weapons. They would stay still and fire at each other. It becomes a contest between reaction times, not accuracy. Accuracy can be mastered; reaction time can't.

I noticed that I play better when I don't even try to dodge hitscan weapons. I just focus 100% on aiming. Dodging just doesn't work on the hardcore guys; it doesn't throw them off at all. It's all about solid aiming and reaction time. Moving and shooting simultaneously is difficult, so going for just one is best, since that is all that's necessary!

If anything, moving around makes it easier to be seen, giving the opponent's reaction time an advantage. Guys who sit still in a corner, waiting for the enemy to approach, tend to get the most frags. It's really bizarre how all that works.

Just my current observations.

No offense, but you are only considering one part of the skills required to be good at multiplayer FPS games.(deathmatch)
Whether it is DOOM2 or Quake4, if the game/map is designed correctly, there isn't a position in the map that is more powerful than another. The weapons/defenses must be balanced. The gameplay must be balanced.
More to the point, a player must MOVE around the map to keep the control... or to try to keep the other player in less control.
Aim is the greatest skill to have, but it won't win you a game on map01 or q4dm1.

The thing is, Doom maps are often symmetrical. If 2 players with the same weapon are in the same relative position of their side of the map, they don't have to move around all the time. They just have to get in range and hope they're more accurate.

I have yet to see a good DM map that's symmetrical. Edit: A certain map07 is one of them but I have noticed that it's very ping dependant which means US servers are out for me. Plays nice on German servers though.

I have yet to play a DM match where ambushes and surprising your enemy weren't important.

Sigh. If two people of great skill wold meet, neither of them would even think of not dodging and moving. Being a good shot is very important, but so is being an ellusive target.

I dont see what the problem is there. I mean, if you want to win, you gotta practice to become a pro yourself. It's obvious that these pros played a long time and worked hard on getting good at it. ANd as for reaction time, it comes with experience. Afer you use a railgun for a while, you will have to learn to predict movements, as the pros do a lot. No player, unless you're mentally imparied ina way that doesn;'t allow you to react at all, has any better protenial at beating another (if their computers are about equal). Dopom is a fast placed game, and it takes a while to get used to it if you started out playing newer-slower games, like Counter Strike and the Half-Life series.

If you dont want to get hit, than learn to dodge. Random strafing as you move helps a lot. As for the rail gun, it's not too hard to get a hit on them., Just play the nightmare bots for a while and beat them. they aren't really that hard, but its good practice if you have 3 of them on a team against you.

ONe of the biggest issues with maps is how their items are placed. ON the Dwango maps, the BFG can easily be gotten, thus allowing BFG spraying bastards (myself included =) ) to frag people just out of luck. Also, many maps have strange items placed at certain stops that doesnt have any other opens and the newbs will just stay in that room with their damn Invincibility and BFG waiting for you to go there. The Better maps has things more spread out and doesnt have a bagillion weapons and powerups placed in a single bunker-like spot.

As for standing still, I personally think it's dumb. After awhile, you get used to looking around for players. The only adventage of sitting around you can get is if you have small skins. Some skins that have small, and low placed sprites allow the player to hide behind the smallest objects unseen (like that Bunny skin in Skulltag). Even lamer skins are those made to look like powerups and ammo. If you really want to stand still, make your skin color the same as your surroundings and find a darker spot, or else it wont work. I personally blast rockets into rooms and cielings even if there is no one in there just to make sure.

Actually, Doom isn't fast paced enough. A game should be sufficiently fast such that a running target is much harder to hit than a stationary target, and coordinating movement with aiming becomes difficult.

As it is, moving doesn't help much at all, at least not in SSG duels. It slightly makes aiming harder, though.

The problem is much worse in other games. Counterstrike and Halo movement is ridiculously slow.

Ezxariarch said:

Just play the nightmare bots for a while and beat them. they aren't really that hard, but its good practice if you have 3 of them on a team against you.

I hope that you're not talking about Quake 3 bots.

Good players do dodge, trust me. However, your not analyzing the position enough, (and how can u if your not a pro) there are certain situations where dodging WON'T help u, because u made a mistake, and can't dodge back fast enough, so the player doesn't worry about dodging because he knows it won't help, where as in other situatoins u can dodge to be helpful, adn they will dodge.

I can't think of a gamer faster paced than DooM and Quakeworld.

Higher Game said:

Stuff

I find Doom is more than fast enough, map01 would be pretty crazy with faster movement. And moving faster doesn't help if you are predictable.

Counterstrike is a completely different sport and the low speed is appropriate, it makes territory more important. Speeding cs up would turn it into a straight team deathmatch.

Well, I've noticed that beginner players are often harder to kill than experts. Beginners move in erratic stop-start patterns because they have a harder time moving around. Experts who move 100% of the time are more predictable than newbs.

"Is it a bird, a plane, or is it Superman?"

No, it's a troll or an idiot.