Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
bejiitas_wrath

Ultimate Doom Trick

I was playing this level and fighting some Pigs here:

http://www.geocities.com/hungry_mancubus/trick.png

And I punched a monster with the beserk fist when I was positioned as shown on the screenshot and I was repulsed back by the monster and I clipped through the wall and ended up right next to the exit switch!

Is this a possible glide or what? I hope it is something possible as it would make quite a fast demo if it was possible. I was using prboom with full doom compatibillity mode on. (Prboom-2.2.6) Running on Linux.

This is very good fun indeed, it would not work when I tried to record myself doing this.

I was not using str50 or anything either , jusdt holding shift to autorun.

Sounds interesting... do you remember if could you exit? This might be an instance of the infamous noclip bug (demo here), discussed here. AFAIK it only triggers when there are hitscan monsters, but if what happened to you is an instance of this bug, we have concrete proof that it can be triggered at other times.

He mentioned that he was using prboom, and not even prb+ can emulate the noclip bug (yet?), so that seems unlikely.

What the cause might have been, is another matter...

Were you actually using a complevel, or were you using the default compatibility level (with all comp flags set to those for Doom2.exe)? I ask because with -complevel -1 the program will use gl nodes if it finds them (e.g. a separate gwa file). Some error in these nodes might perhaps have led to this odd behaviour. Just a guess.

The only instance I can recall with odd behaviour due to the player being knocked around by a demon bite was with Andrey's early "smooth turns" code - but that was just for demo playback, and only resulted in the camera angle being wrong.

Or of course it might be a completely new type of exploitable bug.

Grazza said:

He mentioned that he was using prboom, and not even prb+ can emulate the noclip bug (yet?)

Grazza said:

prb+ can emulate the noclip bug (yet?)

As far as I know this overflow and spechit overflow are overflows of different types.

Just in case you misunderstood, I was saying that prb+ *cannot* emulate this. I added in the "(yet?)" because I recall you mentioning that you might try to tackle this overflow too.

If you are still hoping to do that, I notice that Chocolate Doom "detects" the noclip bug overflow (it crashes! - see blacktwr.wad\blackbug.lmp) without emulating it.

Cute, I managed to replicate it in vanilla doom. Now the trick is getting back into the map. :)

Vile said:

Cute, I managed to replicate it in vanilla doom. Now the trick is getting back into the map. :)

:)
that has proven to be virtually impossible... but if anyone can do it, it's one of the people in this thread. :)

Repulsed back by the Demon how, by being bitten?

I was using all of the flags set to doom in the menu, not the proper compflags. I was hitting the Demon with the beserk fist and I was repulsed somehow, and I went out side the map. I could not exit, but it should be possible. As I said I was using prboom-2.2.6 and using shift held down for running.

It is amazing trick. I did it in vanilla doom2.exe too, surprisingly pretty easily. Pity, it is useless for recording as then its impossible to get into exit room and press the switch (I doubt about the posiibility of second glide which throw you from the wall back to the map.)

If you could get thrown out of E1M8 in a similar way, then you could exit by running round to the outside of the death room - you don't actually need to be inside that room for the "exit if health <10%" to work.

Otherwise I'm struggling to think of ways this trick could be exploited.

Oh, as expected. So that's where void gliding started. And thanks, i'll definitely remember to try archive.org next time, i keep forgetting about this great service.