Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SyntherAugustus

3dMark06!

I download those sometimes just to see the interesting demos... but at the end of the day, does it do anything practical? I mean, it'll spout out a number that you can compare with friends. After that, you're still guessing as to how to tweak your system for specific games.

Note: using the minimum requirements of Futuremark's benchmark utilities as a guideline in upgrading your computer may result in excessive spending of funds.

I'm sure every dork interested in measuring their e-peen has it allready.

What I really love are the Alienware ads on their site. "Can't score? Maybe it's your hardware." Fuckers.

I would definitely like to shovel a few of their overpriced PCs into a trash compactor .. infront of the eyes of a few idiot gamers with too much money to spend.

Bloodshedder said:

Note: using the minimum requirements of Futuremark's benchmark utilities as a guideline in upgrading your computer may result in excessive spending of funds.

HaAhahaha.

I'll download this just to see how crappy it is. 3dMark hasn't been worth it for a while really.

The first demo ran at 5fps and didn't look any better than any games currently out that run at 60fps on my machine (such as Doom 3), so I uninstalled it.

I don't really get 3DMark. I bought a computer with an older version pre-installed. The guy in the shop made out like it was almost worth buying the machine for. When I fired it up, I saw a few reasonable, but not desperately impressive demos that have been bettered by the actual gameplay in full games both in terms of appearance and how well they ran.

So, I really don't know what it proves or what it's point is. To show that 3DMark demo makers aren't as good as game programmers?

It's supposedly meant to show the effects that future games will be using. This is why it runs badly on anything but extreme high-end hardware at the moment.

Bloodshedder said:

It's supposedly meant to show the effects that future games will be using. This is why it runs badly on anything but extreme high-end hardware at the moment.

That's what I figured, and that was my problem. It performed significantly worse than the future games it was apparently telling me about. eg, the version I had was pre-Doom3. I have since run Doom3, Q4, HL2, FEAR... on the same machine all far better than the 3DMark Demos supposed to be heralding those games. What's more, it didn't look as impressive as those games either.

So, in my experience at least, what it does is show pale imitations of the games that will be, but runs them worse than the real games in order to make you think you won't be able to run said games and therefore consider an unnecessary HW upgrade (which with me wasn't possible at the time as I'd got the shop to build the highest spec machine they could from the available components of the day).

Enjay said:

So, in my experience at least, what it does is show pale imitations of the games that will be, but runs them worse than the real games in order to make you think you won't be able to run said games and therefore consider an unnecessary HW upgrade

Well, they are advertising partners with AlienWare, Falcon Northwest, and probably some other overpriced high-end builders, so, yeah, I'd say that's a good possibility.

I wonder, the program req. like 1.5gb, then why can't you buy it on a dvd?

i SUPPOSEDLY have a 500 watt power supply, but one doubts that when my computer needs about 10 attempts to boot up each day, the power supply giving out each time until finally the "engine turns over" (thats what it sounds like the whole time, an engine refusing to start). oh yeah and when it randomly shuts down too.

It doesn't matter if you have a "500 watt" power supply, what matters is how much juice you have on the 12V rail. Look at the power supply, it should say how many amps are fed to each voltage, if the 12V one is below, say, 16A then you have a problem. Or if you have dual 12V rails, add them up.

Also, the weight of your power supply can be an indicator of quality. A 350W power supply that weighs significantly more than a 500W power supply is likely to be of higher quality, even if it is rated at a lower wattage.

Hahaha, the more you know. :D

I used to have an old version of this stuff when I got my computer back in 2001, I think. Though I thought it was some thing to like, look at cool visual things or some sort of video dee-lee, so I never really touched it. :D

I won't push my compy to play with this doodle, as it does enough with me playing games on it and all. :D