Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Koko Ricky

Weird shit in the Claustrophobia wad

I posted about this in the Source Ports forum, but that was more about the HOM effect I was seeing on Map 03 and not what I'm about to discuss. I was able to deal with that (I guess), but later in the map in this dark area, tons of flesh/gore sprites start dropping from the ceiling and reduce the framerate to about 1 frame every 2 seconds. Has anyone else experienced this? Why the hell does this happen? It makes gameplay at that point impossible, which sucks because I really want to beat it.

This doesn't make any sense. If it helps clarify things, I'm running on 2.4 gigahertz with a gig of ram. Not top of the line, but it should be able to handle anything Doom-related, but gameplay comes to a complete hault in that area, even when I make the screen smaller and switch to software mode in Gzdoom.

I sent an e-mail to the author. Hopefully he'll upload a "revised" version of Claustrophobia that eliminates this problem.

WTF?

It's GZDoom that causes the problem, so just use regular ZDoom for claust.wad until the bug is fixed or whatever. Messing with the wad is completely unnecessary if it means losing that effect.

In earlier versions of ZDoom and in vanilla Doom these items had a flag set that excludes them from all collision detections. This has changed in ZDoom 2.0.90 for good reasons (The gib objects float when placed on a lift that is going down.

I won't 'fix' this in the engine as it reverts these things to an undesirable behavior. If the author of this map wants to keep his crap effect he should set the NOBLOCKMAP flag in DEHACKED so that the old behavior is restored.

I get it in Zdoom. Bu I wouldn't say it's a crap effect by any means. Graf, there's no reason for you to be an asshole about this.

Belial said:

WTF?

It's GZDoom that causes the problem, so just use regular ZDoom for claust.wad until the bug is fixed or whatever. Messing with the wad is completely unnecessary if it means losing that effect.

While I appreciate you informing me of that, I can't run Zdoom. Everytime I try to install it, once I get to running it, it gives me some error message about being unable to set the resolution to 640x480x32 and just exits before even starting.

Have you tried to install ZDoom into the same directory as GZDoom? If so try a different directory. These 2 engines don't coexist well in the same directory.

maybe for some fucked up reason you can't do 640x480x32? Try editing the ini and setting 800x600 or something different.

kristus said:

God dammit, noone see's what is wrong?

Zdoom doesn't run in 32 bit color!

Makes sense, but it confuses the hell out of me that Zdoom would try to start up in 32 bit color the FIRST TIME I run it.

Actually, that's only partially true. While all the rendered objects is 8-bit, the rest of the computer is still running at what ever value vid_displaybits is at the console. It's failing to set at 640x480x32 because it's trying to set the global resoultion at this point.

GoatLord said:

Makes sense, but it confuses the hell out of me that Zdoom would try to start up in 32 bit color the FIRST TIME I run it.

It's not like it's a terribly rare bug. It's happened to me too.

Graf Zahl said:

Edit the config and set 'vid_defbits' to 8. That resets it to the default 8 bit setting.

I did not find any .cfg files in my Doom 2 directory.

EDIT: There appears to be one but I think it's for GZDoom...perhaps there's some sort of interference?

GoatLord said:

I did not find any .cfg files in my Doom 2 directory.

EDIT: There appears to be one but I think it's for GZDoom...perhaps there's some sort of interference?

So are both gzdoom and zdoom in the same dir or what?

If they are, put them in different directories. Some people have found them to conflict in the past.

Personally, I make a new directory for each port I install. It may mean quite a few copies of doom2.wad (etc) on my HD, but that's pretty irrelevant with HD sizes these days.

Enjay said:

If they are, put them in different directories. Some people have found them to conflict in the past.

Personally, I make a new directory for each port I install. It may mean quite a few copies of doom2.wad (etc) on my HD, but that's pretty irrelevant with HD sizes these days.

And with ZDoom based ports you don't even need that. Just set the search path in the .ini and have them point to the same WADs. Currently I have 6 different versions of ZDoom and its derivatives installed but all point to the same directory for the IWADs.

Graf Zahl said:

Indeed. Far too many people are hopelessly overwhelmed by adding a single line to a TEXT FILE!

Why not? People are hopelessly overwelmed by using a fucking command line. I'm not surpriced if they would find it hard to edit a simple ini.

It's depressing indeed.

Though in fairness, the Zdoom ini files do feature a mild warning at the start not to edit the file manually. Not everyone will realize that it should be ignored.