Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
yob696

question about ammo

I've just recently started speed running in nightmare, and one thing I noticed when watching the Drew DeVore nightmare speed run is that he tends to get twice as much ammo I would. One example of this would be on level 3 when he first gets the rocket launcher, he gets 4 rockets, whereas I get 2. Same thing happens with cells. I havn't really paid attention to other forms of ammo.

What would cause this? Would it be caused by the WAD being used, or would the client be responsible? I'm using zdoom ATM.

thanks

The ammo in NM difficulty is double that of UV. If you're getting 2 rockets when picking up the RL, you're playing on UV (or skills 2/3), not on NM.

I can assure you you are not, unless the version of ZDoom you're using has changed the behaviour of the original engines in this respect (which is highly unlikely, although I haven't been keeping up with the recent changes in ZDoom).

Please describe how you load up your game session (i.e. specify command line parameters), and which version of ZDoom you're using. This might help in locating the problem.

Well, I just tried it out with doom legacy, and everything was normal. Same WAD and everything. I didn't change any settings with zdoom. thanks you

Or you might be actually playing UV with Fast Monsters and Respawn Monsters turned on so it feels like NM, but is actually not.

Or it could be a ZDoom bug. I trust anyone capable of loading a demo knows how to select the nightmare skill level properly.

HobbsTiger1 said:

Or it could be a ZDoom bug.

It looks that way. I've just tested with Zdoom 2.0.98 and GZDoom 0.9.25, and it seems that ammo pick-ups are correctly doubled, but weapon pick-ups aren't.

if (gameskill == sk_baby
        || gameskill == sk_nightmare)
    {
        // give double ammo in trainer mode,
        // you'll need in nightmare
        num <<= 1;
    }

Grazza said:
It looks that way. I've just tested with Zdoom 2.0.98 and GZDoom 0.9.25, and it seems that ammo pick-ups are correctly doubled, but weapon pick-ups aren't.

It works as intended in 2.0.63a (the latest version I use ATM), so the bug must've been introduced "recently".