Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Bucket

I want one of these. I'm not sure why.

http://laptop.media.mit.edu/

What about connectivity? Aren't telecommunications services expensive in the developing world?
When these machines pop out of the box, they will make a mesh network of their own, peer-to-peer. This is something initially developed at MIT and the Media Lab. We are also exploring ways to connect them to the backbone of the Internet at very low cost.

What can a $1000 laptop do that the $100 version can't?
Not much. The plan is for the $100 Laptop to do almost everything. What it will not do is store a massive amount of data.

P2P networking? Linux-based machine on line with the last generation of games and software? Removable storage? WIND-UP CRANK BATTERY???

Ghetto children live in a golden age. I wonder if there are backdoor channels I can go through to get one of these...

Bucket said:

I didn't post in the news forum. I just said I wanted one. Come on... who wouldn't?

While the crank battery is an excellent idea, I'm really not a fan of laptops, although that simple technology could be used for a lot of useful electronics.

They are shooting themselves in the foot by not allowing them for sale to the public, they could help subsidise them that way.

pritch said:

They are shooting themselves in the foot by not allowing them for sale to the public, they could help subsidise them that way.

They have enough issues simply building that many, I don't think diverting some to the consumers will really help.

Im a bit dissapointed.. I was expecting to look at something with a wood finish and an iron crank, with glorious antique curves :(

chilvence said:

Im a bit dissapointed.. I was expecting to look at something with a wood finish and an iron crank, with glorious antique curves :(

Just to piss off the poor people.

chilvence said:

Heh, they look like toy laptops, actually.