Here are the following updates:

January 26, 2006
===============================
-Fixed door tag 222 close token. Added secondary alarm message
-Implented screen fade per level transfer
-Cleaned up NPC menu, simplified it
-Projectiles can now break glass textures
-Fixed savegame crash due to bad code in p_switch.c
-Replaced MTF_UNKNOWN1 with MTF_AMBUSH (bit flag 0x32)
-Fixed an issue in A_Stand and A_Patrol regarding to sound detection. MTF_AMBUSH implented.
-Maximum player health wasn't absolute. (It didn't save in savegames). int maxhealth is implented in the player struct now. (Can still be modified via sehacked)
-Moved Dialog structure to p_dialog.h and made several dialog functions static
-Fixed coupling bug. Wouldn't give Quest token if player's z coord wasn't equal to the coupling's z coord.
-Implented 'obliviate' frames for enemies when shot by the Mauler (spread shot mode).
-Fixed jerking mouselook when player tried to view all the way up or down.

And since I am on the subject about Strife, I've also released a map for it which you can get here
WIP Page: http://www.wadsinprogress.info/?a=listwads&wad=697

The wad also supports Zdoom but you will have to do two things in the console to get stuff to work. (Instructions are in the readme)

Enjoy

Here's a DECORATE patch to make your WAD work in GZDoom. Fortunately the 2 items in question are never checked by the dialog script so this simple method is working:

Actor K23IDCard : CustomInventory 13
{
	ConversationID 143
	Inventory.PickupMessage "You picked up the ID Card."
	Inventory.PickupSound "misc/k_pkup"
	Inventory.MaxAmount 0
	+AUTOACTIVATE 
	+ALWAYSPICKUP
	States
	{
	Spawn:
		CRD2 A -1
		Stop
	Pickup:
		TNT1 A 0 A_GiveInventory("IDCard")
		TNT1 A 0 A_GiveInventory("QuestItem7")
		Stop
	}
}

Actor K23OfficersUniform : CustomInventory 52
{
	ConversationID 163
	Inventory.PickupMessage "You picked up the Officer's Uniform."
	Inventory.PickupSound "misc/i_pkup"
	Inventory.MaxAmount 0
	+AUTOACTIVATE 
	+ALWAYSPICKUP
	States
	{
	Spawn:
		OFIC A -1
		Stop
	Pickup:
		TNT1 A 0 A_GiveInventory("OfficersUniform")
		TNT1 A 0 A_GiveInventory("QuestItem9")
		Stop
	}
}

Actor K23OverLooker : AcolyteLGreen 232
{
	Health 2000
	PainChance 100
	Speed 18
}
Please note that this will not work with ZDoom, including .96x!

BTW, when I start this WAD with any ZDoom version I don't get a proper sky, only the checkered default texture that is used when the real texture isn't found. You have to define the sky in the MAPINFO lump.

Î intentionally didn't mention it because it won't work with any other version in the future. ;)

It'd be better anyway to autoload a simple patch

ACTOR CustomInventory : Inventory
{
}
from the skins folder instead. At least that ensures future compatibility.

http://www.gamers.org/pub/idgames/REJECTS :/

Kaiser: I'd suggest reuploading with a note to Ty clarifying that it is a new version. There has recently been someone uploading files that are identical to stuff already in the archive (presumably as some sort of prank), so I can understand why Ty might have made the assumption that this was going on here too. (I'm assuming that you did actually upload the new version, heh.)

Regarding the level: The exit teleporter doesn't work in (G)ZDoom. I checked ZDoom's linedef translation table and it says that type 52 is just a level to level type but can't end the game. 124 is. Which one is correct? I can't start Strife.exe on my computer anymore to check myself.

I don't have DOS Strife installed ATM - I can just about get it running, badly - so I can't verify these ATM, but according to the menus in DeePsea, the exit types are as follows:

11 - Switch, end level
51 - Switch, end level, go to secret level
52 - Walk go to next level
124 - Walk go to secret level
145 - Walk Repeat teleport to new map thing
186 - Walk Repeat teleport to new map thing one way

Also, does anyone know what type 1822 is? DeePsea lists it as "Strife 1822??"

As for the level, apparently I fail it. I can't figure out what to do. I've got out of the prison with my uniform, I've spoken to everyone. I know theres a bridge I need to activate, I know there is a computer controlling it, I think I need a pass to to do so, but I can't find what I need. I've been at it for ages and visited everywhere many, many times. Any help would be most welcome.

Forget DeepSea. These meanings are still the ones from Doom. Strife changed most of the exit level types even though it never used most in the end.

I can only judge from Randy's implementation but I know he disassembled the EXE almost completely so I can't imagine he got them wrong.

About the level, talk to everyone in the bar and the side room with the weapon shop. One person in the bar only responds after you have talked to 2 other guys. I have to agree that this part is quite bad. I only figured it out after looking at the dialog script.

Graf, linedef 52 exits the map and spawns the player in the next level. I checked this in Dos Strife. Linedef 124 just triggers a slideshow..

Also I'll make the tavern area more obvious.

For the exit I'll just have the player warp to map 34.

Kaiser said:

Graf, linedef 52 exits the map and spawns the player in the next level.

The 'next' level meaning MAP03 in this case or is this one of the types that uses the tag as a map number?

The linedef (no tag) just sends the player to the next map which is map03. Like a regular doom exit linedef.

Btw, I've uploaded an update to my server if you are interested in testing it again.

Ok. Good to know. In that case I'll report it as a bug to Randy.

One more thing: After noticing some anomalies in the southwestern part of the map I ran it through an error checker. It seems that 2 linedefs are missing between sectors 485/495 and 485/499.

Screenshot:

Thanks for the clues. I finally got beyond the tavern. Cool map. It's nice to finally get the chance to play some Strife add-ons. I thought the Dark forces textures worked really well in there too. Gave me a hankering to play DF too. Shame there's no ports for that.

Another couple of things with the map you might want to address:

After you destroy the power coupling, and then go and speak to the green guy afterwards, if you haven't picked up the coupling, he will say exactly the same thing to you as if you did have it (ie, he gives you the impression you have it even when you don't). However, that's as far as the conversation goes because when you ask where to go next, the conversation dialogue just exits. It'd be better if he said something like "go get me the power coupling" if you try and speak to him without it. I only did this because I forgot I could jump over fences and didn't think I could actually get to the coupling. Once I had it, it all worked as it should.

Once the forcefields are down, you get to go into a few small rooms. One of these has a lift in it. Although there is no mid texture on the lift lines, they are semi-blocking and seem to act like a fence that you have to jump over. I've been trying to figure out which one it is in the editor, but I can't identify it ATM.

[edit]It's the lift tagged 66.[/edit]

Oh, and just out of interest, when I'd reached the last door, I went all the way back to the tavern and the grey guy there still told me to go and get the pass.

Enjay said:

After you destroy the power coupling, and then go and speak to the green guy afterwards, if you haven't picked up the coupling, he will say exactly the same thing to you as if you did have it (ie, he gives you the impression you have it even when you don't). However, that's as far as the conversation goes because when you ask where to go next, the conversation dialogue just exits.

Once the forcefields are down, you get to go into a few small rooms. One of these has a lift in it. Although there is no mid texture on the lift lines, they are semi-blocking and seem to act like a fence that you have to jump over. I've been trying to figure out which one it is in the editor, but I can't identify it ATM.

[edit]It's the lift tagged 66.[/edit]

For the Coupling part, the guy does say something if you don't have the coupling. I am not sure if Gzdoom printed it or not, but he does tell you to get the coupling if you don't have it. (Text appears in the hud, not in the dialog)

For the random blocking, they are left over junk from an old Zdoom map I was working on (converted to strife). I am surprised that I forgot about that one.

I'll upload another update tomorrow. Heh its a good thing I didn't upload this was to idgames yet :P

Kaiser said:

For the Coupling part, the guy does say something if you don't have the coupling. I am not sure if Gzdoom printed it or not, but he does tell you to get the coupling if you don't have it. (Text appears in the hud, not in the dialog)

I tested it myself and he does start the first part of his dialog - exactly as Enjay said.

Yeah, the problem was not that he didn't say anything - it was that he said exactly the same thing as if you spoke to him with the coupling. The only difference being that, without the coupling, he only says the first part of his conversation and then either choice exits the conversation but, with the coupling, you also get the second part of the conversation and then access to the forcefield switch.

I'll just change it. Its probably something wrong on my compiler.

I'll test this on gzdoom before reuploading this time.

Updated:
The mapinfo issue should be fixed and the script as well. Also got rid of the 0x200 leftovers on the linedefs.

I also DL'd SVStrife too. Seems pretty good, quite faithful to the original - including the annoying quit screens that delay you getting out of the program even after you have hit Y ;).

The launcher says it needs comdlg32.ocx. I guess I could get that from somewhere easy enough.

However, until I figure out this one issue, it's unplayable for me - how do I invert the mouse Y axis? I couldn't see it in the menus and there was no obvious entry in the cfg either.

That would be most welcome. I don't have PRBoom set to Mlook (not even sure it can) so the issue never came up.

Enjay said:

I don't have PRBoom set to Mlook (not even sure it can)

Prboom-plus has mlook and invert mouse (in OpenGL mode).

Grazza said:

Prboom-plus has mlook and invert mouse (in OpenGL mode).

Ahh! indeed, so it does. Thank you.

Also, how do you remove the double-click=use mouse options in these ports? I like to use my secondary mouse button as a single-click use, but it seems impossible to set as the default double-click always seems to take precidence.

Grazza said:
Andrey could change this if someone made a feature request.

I'm sure he would do it right if he did, because most engines that change that break the divine implementation ordained by the id Gods, creators of the DOOM world.

I have never seen Strife, never played and I don't have Strife on my hard disk. But I've spent yesterday one and half an hour and added some features from Prboom-Plus in the source of the Strife:

1) Uncapped framerate (movement_smooth)
2) OpenGL: Full mouse look (movement_mouselook, mouse_sensitivity_mlook, movement_mouseinvert)
3) OpenGL: FOV (render_fov)
4) "Invert mouse" feature (movement_mouseinvert)
5) Smoother mouse control (movement_altmousesupport)
6) Mouse acceleration code (mouse_acceleration)
6) Variable gamespeed (Num+, Num-, Num*)
7) OpenGL: "Smart Items Clipping" setting (render_smartitemsclipping)

I don't know if it works or not, try it on your own risk. Please tell to me if it works. And finally I have named it svstrife-plus :)

Just a suggestion about the name: svstrife-plus would seem more appropriate. "SV" is Kaiser's initials (Samuel Villarreal), so it seems correct to retain this.

Looks good, however I keep getting a problem. I kill the guys in the starting room and then go to open the door (not that you'll know what I'm talking about if you haven't played the game). Anyway, when I do this I get

I_Signal Handler
Exiting on signal: Signal 11