Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Covak

Playing DOOM in WinXP?

Anyone got the original DOOM working in Windows XP? If I run it with sound it gets all chunky and the sound breaks up (without sound it's fine though). I tried glDoom, but call me crazy, it didn't feel right. I just wanna run through the old original DOOM again, not some fancy source port. I tried WinDoom briefly, but there was no music and I don't know where you configure your controls.

Can anyone give me some tips? Are there any source ports that let you just play DOOM the way it used to be?

And are there tools/ports that ease network game setup? A budy of mine never played DOOM before, so I'd love to show him some DOOM deathmatch :)

Thanks,

James

I've been told that if you want DOS games behaving properly WITH sound in WinNT/2K/XP you need a DOS sound emulator. If you don't use such an emulator, it might help you if you do. There's this freeware one called VDMSound, you'll probably find it on the net if you search. However I think the card itself has to support sound in DOS for it to work, so you should either have an old DOS ISA card or a PCI one which emulates an old ISA card, like SBLive.

I've got WinME, and when playing with Doom/Doom2.exe, soundFX sound normal at the beginning but after a litle while, they start to sound slower. Does the same thing if I shut it down, and start playing it later. Music sounds normal always, also with source ports there are no problems.
Could it be the same thing?

Ive got WinME and an SB Live! card, and the sound in dos wont work at all. The sound emulator says it will only work outside of windows, but WinME can't do that! ARGH!

Yeah - DOS in WinME is badly crippled.

You could get that unofficial patch to restore the pure DOS mode, Win9x style, although a small percentage of people (don't know how small) who have tried it complained that it killed their OS totally. Win98 has the best DOS compatibility.

If I could get a system as stable as WinXP is claimed to be by some, and yet with a pure DOS mode, it'd be so much better than having to set up a multi-boot...

I wonder if it's technically possible to create an OS with a pure DOS core and with the stability of the NT and it's followers 2K/XP. Like, the Windows GUI would completely remove DOS as it loads, but then it's almost equal to a multi-boot. Damn.

Just use both Windows XP and Windows 98 !
Install Win98 first, then from within Win98, install WinXp and u get to choose which os u wanna start, when starting your computer

prboom can run in Windows and is very true to the original, even while having lots of new features. I'd suggest Eternity too but it hasn't been ported to Windows yet ;)