Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
RamboBones

10uv0322 (Built)

I don't think this needs much explaining since I'm sure most of the regulars on here are aware of my uv Doom2 run that I've been building. This is only episode 1 so far and it takes 12 seconds off andreys time, which is more a testament to how good andrey's original demo was than to how advantageous building a demo is. Obviously alot of work has gone into this and I've been working on it in my spare time since 14'th of november last year and if you ask my a 3 minute and 22 second replay isn't alot to show for a few months work so I guess replay building is probably the most inefficient way of getting a replay possible but I guess everybody needs some hobby :).

Please discuss the replay and if you can see anything that could be done better (might want to watch on about 30 percent speed) then please post it here.

And for the love of god if you want to debate my comment in the text file about trying for sub 10 minutes then there's a thread already on this forum for that so don't bring it up in this one.

This looks mighty impressive to me. It is quite watchable in prboom-plus with "smooth movement", by the way, even if that sort of gives off a surreal appearance (with the player seemingly shooting monsters out of view or behind his back). As for improvements: map 10 is the only low-tic run, and conveniently it's also the easiest to improve (in the sense that you don't need to re-do the other ones). Maybe it's possible to save those 6 tics by trying to influence monster positions in sector 0 (and possibly 96?), as you had to run around some monsters there. Maybe you could shoot some monsters that would get in the way of the most direct line? Don't know if that would save any time though.

Good job, anyway!

Kristian Ronge said:

It is quite watchable in prboom-plus with "smooth movement"

Are you thinking of smooth playing?

Smooth movement: uncapped framerate
Smooth playing: smoothes out sharp turns

That was an interesting demo and it's impressive to cut some time off Andrey's time. Just a couple of things to point out if you want it to be optimal. First is when you teleport there is a kind of stun for about a second but if you get hit then you can avoid the stun. For example in the new 30uv by Andrey he gets hit on map26 so he can go faster. Also you might want to experiment going around corners to see what's the fastest way.

Yeh I noticed the stun when going through teleporters and if you look on map 4 I do get hit comming out of the teleporter which is why I could take that extra second off.

And as far as corners go, finding the optimum way to go round a given corner is why building demos takes so damn long.

Are there any special tools you use to build your demos? Hex-editing seems more laborious than it needs to be...

Usually LMPC is used for building demos. It turns the demo into a txt file which can be easily read. Then it can be edited and turned back into a demo. Also, you can use a program like Andrey's prboom to play back these demos because it allows you to start in the middle of a demo.

xit-vono said:

Usually LMPC is used for building demos. It turns the demo into a txt file which can be easily read. Then it can be edited and turned back into a demo. Also, you can use a program like Andrey's prboom to play back these demos because it allows you to start in the middle of a demo.

Actually I use nothing of the sort to build my demos. I use a custom made program which I've called 'The Doom Replay Editor' which allows you to view and walk around the world at any tic and modify and insert tics in real time and see the results instantly. Save points can be used to speed up the recalculating of each point. It was made by severly editing the glboom source and then adding anothing gui window ontop of it. You can find a copy of it here although be warned the interface is a very cryptic text based interface and the file input.txt that is included in the zip explain a little bit about it but DON'T come to me asking for help. There was a reason I never released this version of it as despite being extremely more efficient than my old gui version it is hard to become proficcient at and very cryptic.