Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
RamboBones

Any reason why prboom would cause savegame desync?

In the course of building my doom2 demos I've now run across an interesting problem. I use prbooms in built savegame feature in order to save the state of a demo so that it doesn't have to be recalculated from the start each time, however in my current demo if I set a save point on seemingly any tic after tic 7035 then a desync is quick to follow.

I'm guessing that prboom wasn't designed to allow seamless saving and loading during demo playback however it seems curious that it only happens if I do it after this one exact tic. Either prboom isn't saving everything that is needed to prevent a desync or it's saving in an incorrect compatibility mode or something. Does anyone have any ideas? Because if I can't fix this I won't be able to continue my run very far :(

I used to get this problem a lot when I was using 2.3, and for example, it seemed to be a constant problem on Gusta's demos even tho' I really doubt he used saved games. It still said there was a save game error and it dropped the demo. He was using 2.6 I think at the time.

It might possibly be a version issue. But I am just guessing here.

Searcher said:

I used to get this problem a lot when I was using 2.3, and for example, it seemed to be a constant problem on Gusta's demos even tho' I really doubt he used saved games. It still said there was a save game error and it dropped the demo. He was using 2.6 I think at the time.

Regarding Gusta's demos, I'm sure the problem there was that he was using -longtics (by accident, and in version 2.2.6), and that version 2.2.3 therefore wasn't reading the data correctly, as the -longtics feature hadn't been added by then.

I'm not sure of the exact period during which Gusta was inadvertently using -longtics, but it certainly affects some of the his Scythe2 and 2sectors demos. prboom-plus will play these demos correctly.