Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
danimetal

Allowing for Larger Flats.

Hi:

Some Doom ports allow for larger than 64x64 flats sizes. I´ve been recently trying to insert them with XWE and had no luck. I can insert the image (say, 256x256) but I can´t use them in game: if I don´t use the "Save as Doom Flat" option they look weird in game. If I use that option so they look as they should they´re automatically forced to be 64x64 and the whole point of large textures is ruined.

I wondered if it was possible to add compatibility to XWE so larger flats can be "Saved as Doom Flat" and thus, usable in game.

Thanks.

This is already done. Make sure you use the latest beta. Load up a 256x256 image and save it as a doom flat. The lump size should be 65536 and it will work fine, at least in ZDooM.

If it doesn't work for you, let me know what you've done differently.

danimetal said:

If I use that option so they look as they should they´re automatically forced to be 64x64 and the whole point of large textures is ruined.

That's what Zdoom does. That's how hi-res flats were achieved in Zdoom. If you import a 128x128 or 256x256 etc graphic as a Doom FLAT, Zdoom will automatically scale it to a hi-res 64x64 graphic. So the whole point of large textures is not ruined, it's just a different point to what you thought it was. ;)

If you are using Zdoom and you want your large texture on the floor at full size, do not import it as a flat. Import it as you would a regular texture graphic but put it between markers in your WAD called TX_START and TX_END. All graphics between these markers can be read by Zdoom and used as wall or floor graphics (at full size) without the need for them to be put into a TEXTURE1 and PNAMES deinition or saved as a FLAT.

Thanks for your replies.

CSabo, I´ll make sure I have the latest beta (my version is 1.12)... Let me tell you what I´m exactly doing: I load my 256x256 image between the markers, save it as Doom Flat and when I open up the map in Doom Legacy I get only a 64x64 portion of the picture. It tiles in 64x64 portions.

Thanks also Enjay. Since I´m not using ZDoom I won´t be able to make use of the information you give me. Anyway, that hi-res point of view is most interesting: I think I read something about it while I tried to solve the problem and thought that it would be cool to replicate this effect in Legacy too. Guess it´s too early for that.

In case you´re interested, I found a way of making large flats work in Legacy without using complex modern software: you need to generate raw files out of the bitmaps and then insert them with NWT... Csabo, the size is exactly the same you mention: 65536. I think I tried to insert these entries with XWE but when I loaded it in the wad they´d just appear corrupted. Apparently it could have something to do with the offsets but setting them to 0,0 wouldn´t work. The only thing would be to "Save as Doom Flat" and have only a small portion of the flat.

I´ll check the next XWE version, if any.

Thanks a lot.

Edit: I just downloaded latest version but it does the same: it crops a 64x64 portion of the image. I guess the implementation of these large flats is different between ports... I´ll try to insert RAW lumps this way and see if I can get closer.

2nd Edit: No go... If inserted as RAW lumps they would appear corrupted. Thanks for your help and I hope my contributions are useful :).

danimetal said:

I just downloaded latest version

Just to be sure, did you get the latest beta linked to in this post? (Not sure why Csabo doesn't have direct links to the latest version and beta in the stickied welcome thread in this forum...)

Hi Grazza. Nice to see you!.

No, I didn´t get the last beta but v1.15. However, I just downloaded the beta and will try it again.

A NewDoom user seems to have achieved it with XWE as long as he doesn´t do anything else than loading them as you can see in this thread:

http://forums.newdoom.com/showpost.php?p=459122&postcount=24

Anyway, I hope I can find a way :).

Edit: The beta you pointed me to worked wonders: I used the "Import as raw" and it worked and so did loading a regular BMP entry. Many thanks for your help :).

While that entry is correct, it describes this simple operiation in way too many steps. If you want the FF_START and FF_END entries to be automatically created, just double-click the FLOOR button from the bottom toolbar. That will let you import your bitmap. Then just click Save as flat, and you're done.

The extra cleanup command is also unnecessary, XWE now comes with the "Perform Cleanup on exit" option as default.

BTW, I added the beta link to my XWE site (which is Mirror #1 from the doomworld.com/xwe page).

Csabo said:

BTW, I added the beta link to my XWE site (which is Mirror #1 from the doomworld.com/xwe page).

Ah! that's useful. Previously, tracking down the betas (for those that were interested) could be a little tricky at times. Thanks.

Actually it´s great to see improvements on software for such and old game, specially on software that is that useful (and needed) when dealing with modifications :).