Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Doom'd Marine

silent teleporters for multi-story effect

How convincing is making a multi-story building but using silent teleporters for stairs going up/down (disabling the fog of the teleport if possible) ?

One issue is that if you enter looking in some odd direction the teleporter straightens you out. More importantly, it's just a cosmetic trick that can't be used in relation to any other active things; monsters or players in the first area will disappear from the second if you can look back.

I think it's silly, but if its just a cosmetic effect thats done more or less seamlessly and doesn't harm the action, I don't mind it. It would probably suck more in MultiPlayer (Cooperative or DeathMatch.)

See for example Castle of Eternal Carrot in the Sky and judge for yourself. (I'm sure there are far better examples of this trick, though.)

If you need such an effect it is probably better to use Boom which has a silent line-to-line teleporter which is completely seamless.

City of the Damned by Tormentor667 made good use of this feature to make a multi story effect. It was used in a small corridor with little stairs where no monsters would go or can be seen from. In that specific case, it worked very well.

ultdtv uses it to pretty good effect. At least, it feels like you are traveling between floors. (And it has coffee machine graphics, so it can't be bad. :) )

Dammit Grazza, your knowledge of the archives is positively encyclopedic. I remember playing that WAD ages ago. Some interesting effects in there. Thanks for reminding me about it.

Graf Zahl said:

If you need such an effect it is probably better to use Boom which has a silent line-to-line teleporter which is completely seamless.

too bad i dont got the boom port on my pc or that it doesnt run for me O_o although... is it possible to use the linedef if im running on zdoom, if i switch over the map to do that one simple command

Yes, most modern ports support Boom features, and those few that don't have either partial support and/or are implementing full support.

BTW, there was a Windows version of the original Boom if you want something to check what is/isn't a genuine Boom feature. For that purpose, this wad might also be useful.

Enjay said:

Dammit Grazza, your knowledge of the archives is positively encyclopedic.

Not really - I just played that one recently, as it was one of the wads in an old Korean cdrom.com mirror that didn't appear to be in the current archive (in fact, it had just been moved to a different location in the archive).

Graf: actually, EDGE is still missing some Boom features - try playing dmdjm02 in EDGE v1.29rc3, for instance. And of course Chocolate-Doom doesn't, by design.
|
\/

With the exception of Doomsday every port in existence has Boom support - and Doomsday will soon follow so that you don't need to worry about someone not being able to play the map.

Graf Zahl said:

With the exception of Doomsday every port in existence has Boom support - and Doomsday will soon follow so that you don't need to worry about someone not being able to play the map.

I thought EDGE didnt have much of any Boom support either. O_o

Graf Zahl said:
With the exception of Doomsday every port in existence has Boom support

Who hacked it into Doom95?