Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tormentor667

[Showcase] The Tower Of Suffering

Thx alot! It was and still is a lot of work to make it look like that!

Current stats are:
15583 Vertices
18278 Linedefs
33471 Sidedefs
2725 Sectors
739 Things
...and it is just about 35% finished!

Tormentor667 said:

Thx alot! It was and still is a lot of work to make it look like that!

Current stats are:
15583 Vertices
18278 Linedefs
33471 Sidedefs
2725 Sectors
739 Things
...and it is just about 35% finished!

Whee overdetailing. Need you be reminded that some of us like to dodge and aim in levels.

Is there a film of translucent warping water between the player and the skybox? Because if so, that's impressive. It's hard to tell what it is that I'm seeing without any motion.

Otherwise, though, this sort of detail in Doom is getting bland. There's sort of an "all been done" sentiment. Why don't you move on to Doom 3 where attention to detail gets you better results?

Ultraviolet said:

Is there a film of translucent warping water between the player and the skybox? Because if so, that's impressive. It's hard to tell what it is that I'm seeing without any motion.

Otherwise, though, this sort of detail in Doom is getting bland. There's sort of an "all been done" sentiment. Why don't you move on to Doom 3 where attention to detail gets you better results?

because Doom 3 = sucks compared to the stuff done on doom 2.. its an old game.. but the quality of a game isnt measured in pixel size alone =)

I think the transparent fire lines are a 'well DUH' idea... I can't see why I haven't seen it before. Cool stuff.

This may be one of the most beautiful maps I've ever seen, my god, it's astounding. Maybe not for other people, but just the sheer colour and style of this makes it all the better in my book, bang-up job!

: )

HobbsTiger1 said:

Whee overdetailing. Need you be reminded that some of us like to dodge and aim in levels.

Whee, lots of detailing - yet managing to include lots of nice open corridors and areas for plenty of dodging and aiming.

Doom'd Marine said:

because Doom 3 = sucks compared to the stuff done on doom 2.. its an old game.. but the quality of a game isnt measured in pixel size alone =)

Exactly ;)

@HobbsTiger - Don't worry, all of the areas with lots of detail are wide and open instead of making them cramped, so it won't be a problem for the player to dodge and strafe. (Enjay is right)

@Everyone else - Thx for the nice comments, they keep me mapping :)

@udderdude - No original DOOM weapons in this map, just new "hellish" ones that replace the old ones (thx to Eriance's DECORATE and SPRITE-Work)

@Jehar - It's a great looking trick and so damn simple ;)

@Ultraviolet - The warping fire is part of the skybox and makes the sky itself a bit more hellish and interesting.

Tip: Try not adding too much detail to the floors as it makes running and therefor, combat tedious and frustrating. Put a hell lot of crap onto the ceilings and walls, though ;)

Nmn said:

Tip: Try not adding too much detail to the floors as it makes running and therefor, combat tedious and frustrating. Put a hell lot of crap onto the ceilings and walls, though ;)

Yeah that's true, but right now, most of the floor height differences are just between 2 and 4 map units (sometimes just 8 but never more), so this doesn't interfer with gameplay at all, but thx for the tip ;)

@Enjay and Torm: I'll wait until this gets released (heh) and then I'll tell you about all the gameplay issues I find. Mmmk?

Very nice looking. Just as long as it's not too detailed to the point where it slows down as hell, it's fun (detail doesn't awlays mean fun mind you), and you keep yourself from comparing/advertizing this from other people's wip threads, and it's all good my friend. :D

rf` said:

It looks highly pretty. How well does it play?

It's strange that since KDiZD - although this is even not released - everyone asks me about the gameplay of my maps. Was the gameplay of my TNT series and TCOTD so damn bad?! I can justsay that it plays fine for me right now but that it is far from being finished.

The only problem with TNT is the lack of difficulty levels. They are just hard with no chance to tone it down if you are not willing to bother with all these monsters.

TCOTD and TNT2 had some really bad gameplay, though it was mostly caused by complete lack of balance and not excessive detailing.