Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Dutch Doomer

Anybody in the mood for some playtesting?

http://rapidshare.de/files/12778379/Funhouse.zip.html

Apocalypse asked me too upload this map to the archives, but since it was full of bugs I decided to help him a bit.
I had permission from him to take his map and fixing all the bugs and add detail to it.

The original map is called funhouse, and its not in the archives yet and hopefully this one will.
Its map01 doom2 and its in boom format, did I forgot anything to mention..nah I don't think so :)

No hom's in this version, or I am gonna stand on my head and sing the national anthem.

@Kristus Trust trust trust trust trust trust trust trust.

Hmm, similar HOMs in the rl room. Is it ZDoom that's screwing something up?

Nope, same HOMs in PrBoom.

It's still a very good map though. Much better health placement, though that final megasphere secret seemed unnecessary. A supercharge would have been more than enough.

Weird db doesn't give me any bugs at all, ive tested this map myself no hom's what so ever.

[edit]Shit I screwed up my windows, you are right Belail, though it looked fine in gzdoom.
It looks like I have two things to do now stand on my head and sing our national anthem and fix those damn bugs :)

[edit2]updated top post with an hom free map, still found some small bugs like misaligned door textures in glboom, while the same textures look fine in zdoom.
Must have something to do with my nodebuilder.

Ok I gave it a try.

The room with the 4 barons and blue key is pretty lame. Fighting 4 barons with SSG is pretty boring, plus you can just run right past them (the imps and demons die fast) and teleport out. I would suggest changing them to hell knights, and make some bars close over the teleport so you can't just run right out.

I died in the room with the plasma gun and tons of revenants. I assume you're supposed to run off into the teleporter and then sprint to safety, but that would take quite a bit of practice. Considering the rest of the map is very easy, this sudden difficulty ramp doesn't really fit in.

I'll try it out more later.

udderdude said:

The room with the 4 barons and blue key is pretty lame. Fighting 4 barons with SSG is pretty boring, plus you can just run right past them (the imps and demons die fast) and teleport out. I would suggest changing them to hell knights, and make some bars close over the teleport so you can't just run right out.

The barons could indeed be replaced with hell knights or revs (or just remove 2 of them), but blocking the tele is not a good idea. It's a nice speedrunning option. IMO it should stay the way it is.

I died in the room with the plasma gun and tons of revenants. I assume you're supposed to run off into the teleporter and then sprint to safety, but that would take quite a bit of practice. Considering the rest of the map is very easy, this sudden difficulty ramp doesn't really fit in.

The number 9 doesn't exactly match the word 'tons', and seriously, grabbing that invul (or just leaving through the door) when you have a plasma rifle shouldn't be a problem.

Edit: Whoops, huge bug. The teleport that leads to the blue key area is one time only. If a monster goes in you're screwed.

And in PrBoom the large door in the archvile cage room still has a misaligned texture on one side.

Thanks guys I appreciate the feedback, im going to fix the W1 teleporter.
And im going to replace the barons for knights, and like you said Belail replace the megasphere.

Im having more misaligned textures in other areas too, but only when I play it with prboom/glboom.
With zdoom they look normal, I asume using an different node builder would't fix this right?

What about the rocket launcher trap, was it too hard on uv?

Belial said:

The number 9 doesn't exactly match the word 'tons', and seriously, grabbing that invul (or just leaving through the door) when you have a plasma rifle shouldn't be a problem.

I didn't see any invunerability. wtf?

Edit: Ok, I see it now. It's hiding in a corner. No way you'd be able to grab it without knowing it was there beforehand.

And 9 revenants is alot, when there's nowhere you can run and hide and you're totally surrounded.

That's why there's an invul, and reaching that or leaving through the door when you have 200 armor, 100+ health and a plasma rifle shouldn't be a problem. The whole room gives off an obvious trap feel so being prepared to make a run for it should be part of the plan.

@Dutch Devil: The rl trap is fine, if you want to play it safe you can even retreat back into the hallway, but it's not really necessary.

I've just realized that there is yet another very good reason for replacing the barons with hell knights. If you skip the berserk secret you won't have enough ammo to deal with the barons in a comfortable way :P.

All bugs have been fixed, the misaligned textures are fixed also.

About the plasmagun trap, why not use 6 revenants on skill 4/5, 4 on skill 3 and 2 on skill 1/2.
I think that would make it less frustrating for the not so skilled players.

I think making the teleport a bit more obvious with the use of a lighting effect, then moving the backpack rev to the opposite corner of the room (-232, 576) to mirror the rev that's at (744, 576) should be enough to ensure a safe exit through the door without a rev getting into the way after teleporting.