Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Manc

SVN

I'm surprised more people haven't commented. It's quite easy now for anyone to have bleeding edge eternity versions.

It's like CVS but easier to manage. It's basically where the active source resides now, and it's where those that work on the source commit their changes (known to be good), so it's basically eternity "Development version". You can use a client like TortoiseSVN to "check out" a repository and get the source for yourself, where you can then compile it (assuming you have the necessary tools). Whenever there's changes the developers have made, you can simply update your local repository and get their changes. It doesn't replace regular releases, but it lets those that want the latest bleeding-edge eternity version get it for themselves. You can also track changes through the repository by viewing the logs.

I'm afraid I could not, but perhaps quasar and/or someone working on eternity documentation can write something up.

You'd currently need Visual C++ 6.0 to do anything with the source unless you are a knowledgable programmer, which is unfortunate because of its proprietary nature. I'm working on eventually getting the MinGW (and maybe even DJGPP) makefiles updated, in which case you'll be able to build them with those compilers as well. Also, it should be possible for me to export a makefile from the Visual Studio project that will allow it to be used with the now-free Microsoft compiler package that can be downloaded from somewhere within the labyrinth that is MSDN (it is basically just the command line tools that are invoked by the Visual Studio IDE).

If you wanted to compile with MinGW, you'd first need to install the latest MinGW build, and then compile both SDL and SDL_mixer for it. Unfortunately, that's not easy by any definition of the word as the SDL build files frequently contain errors that cause them to not work out of the box with MinGW (which is ridiculous IMO).

Anyway, if you were able to do that, then you'd have to update Eternity's makefile.mingw file, which is currently out of date, and make a obj_mingw directory under source for the objects to build in. If you did that properly, you'd then build Eternity by opening up the console that MinGW installs and typing "make makefile.mingw" in the source subdirectory. It would then build an eternity.exe in the source/obj_mingw subdir.

I have a feeling nobody's going to actually be able to do all of that though.

The obtaining of the source though is now much easier with the svn repository.

Yes, so once someone HAS a working setup, it will be easy to keep it up to date, instead of waiting for ages to get the newest Eternity build :)

Hopefully Joel Murdoch will benefit from this, if he is indeed still doing work on Mordeth & Millennium. Of course our real goal for those projects is to not require a custom modification for either ;)

Quasar said:

I have a feeling nobody's going to actually be able to do all of that though.

I've got it to compile and run in both OpenBSD and MinGW. However, it required some juggling of header files that I'm sure will prevent it from compiling with Visual C... I also had to pretty much rewrite the Makefile; I hope to switch over to autoconf sometime (i.e. once I learn how to do so).

And thanks for the SVN archive, now I have to install subversion...

Quasar said:

Hopefully Joel Murdoch will benefit from this

Given I have little to no clue what is going on or what any of what you just said means (except about a makefile for the free MS compiler), that is doubtful.

The VC++ makefile would be the best option for you, so I wouldn't even worry about the rest of it. MinGW is simply not easy to deal with, given how you must compile SDL and SDL_mixer for it, and then maintain the makefile by hand >_<

well, someone should be nice and HOST A COMPILED VERSION

else this is nothign but a "look what you can look forward to".

A good idea on paper...

There's no way to just automatically compile Eternity from the SVN, so I don't see how that is possible. I certainly cannot afford to package and upload a new distribution every night.