Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
sitters

Genetic Disaster Released

Genetic Disaster is released.:))

The new version of Risen3D V2.0.0 is also released.

For playing Genetic Disaster you need the new version of Risen3D.

Also remakes of other Maps for the new version, with new features.

Genetic Disaster.
Return to Lost City.
Chiller Castle.
Hell on Egypt.

Game-play and optimizing by Abbs and Hawkwind.

Download on :

http://risen3d.newdoom.com/

Greetings

Willem

Good map.

Anyway have you messed with Gzdoom? *not to advertise*

There's Hires textures along with dynamic lights, as well as ability to create monsters and weapons. There's also md2 and md3 support! Another feature you may find useful is the 3d floors.

I was thinking maybe you would be one of the first mappers to fully expose all of these features in a gzdoom wad, seeing that you can do such a thing for Risen.

oh... where to get it!

http://grafzahl.drdteam.org

Would be nice to see a wad that abuses the better features of gzdoom.

BlackFish said:

Good map.

Anyway have you messed with Gzdoom? *not to advertise*

No I only have make doom2 maps for Doomsday and Risen3D.

And I am now part of the Risen3D team.

Greetings.

I guess I'm feeling a bit dismayed. The screenshots seemed very nice, but when I played it I thought it was not very appealing. If not for a spattering of 3d models around to simulate architecture (I think you said you use models to simulate slopes in Risen) this would be just another dull map. It has fake walls for goodness sake, they just don't fit with the map type. The architecture seemed bland and the gameplay was a bit dull, and I was able to get stuck in the beginning without having any idea what to do.

I understand the work you went through to make it, but what if you went back and started a bit more simple, making some maps without relying on models or fancy risen effects and then progressing from there?

Veddge said:

I guess I'm feeling a bit dismayed. The screenshots seemed very nice, but when I played it I thought it was not very appealing. If not for a spattering of 3d models around to simulate architecture (I think you said you use models to simulate slopes in Risen) this would be just another dull map. It has fake walls for goodness sake, they just don't fit with the map type. The architecture seemed bland and the gameplay was a bit dull, and I was able to get stuck in the beginning without having any idea what to do.

I understand the work you went through to make it, but what if you went back and started a bit more simple, making some maps without relying on models or fancy risen effects and then progressing from there?

The slopes and the walls are no models in Genetic Disaster.
So I don't know what level you did play.

There are no fake walls and also no fake slopes, and the 3D floors are also no fake, but all from Risen3D and no models.

I don't know where you talk about.

Greetings

Hey sitters,

The fake walls he is referring to are the "air vent" textures that hide the imps and teh air shafts.

The way you have shown how Risen works is very admirable. But, however the map layout is rather basic shall i say. But overall the map was a good "demo" for what Risen is capable of :)

Now as blackfish said all the things you have accomplished in Risen are now available in GZdoom as well.

Either way, it is also nice to hear that you are now part of the Risen team, hopefully with your expertise Risen will become a better port and possibly gain a higher fan base. One question though...are you and abbs/danij working on a new model pack for Risen/Doomsday?

In closing, the project is a great example of what Risen is capable of. But as a stand alone mod...rather average :) (excluding the modeling work thats top notch :D )

I don't know what you people has against models, every modern game use them.

Genetic disaster let see what Risen3D can do, till now there is no port that has same interaction with models, like Risen3D.

Architecture models are now an part of the environment of risen3D, like all modern games do.

If you people are so great mappers, Let me see one level from an other port that have the same capabilities on graphic, models interaction and speed, there is no one!!

BTW I am not an part of the doomsday team.
And yes I am also making new monsters.

Greetings.

I have no qualm about the use of models, in fact if integrated properly in a map they could be phenomenal. I tried running this map and actually was able to get Risen to run, What I found unappealing was the lack of real architeture and the models are used to try and sweeten the bland look. Models are like any new addition to Doom, they are a great tool to allow more flexibility, but they they are only a tool. If you don't know how to do the job in the first place, all the fancy tools in the world won't help.

You are clearly talented at modeling and skinning, but I think Veddge is right, you should go back to the basics and work on making more traditional doom levels. Make levels without models and get feedback from the community, when the levels improve, begin reintroducing models back in to really spice things up again.

I don't know what your think about real architecture ?

Crazy buildings you only find in an virtual world ?

An lot of detail, without knowing where it is used for ?

Crazy ceilings where nobody can find any logical in ?

That is for me no architecture, but trying to make something nice, and don't know how to do it.

You want to see architecture look at DoomDragon that is real architecture.

Greetings

Unfortunately I don't get Risen3D to work properly due to the totally screwed up launcher but what I have seen from this map doesn't really convince me. Sure, the graphics are nice but where's the gameplay? Like some people before me already said it is basically a collection of underdetailed rooms which are overstuffed with monsters. It was no fun playing this map, partly due to the weak gameplay but also due to the horrible slope physics of the engine. I don't get it. The programmer had 2 ports with working slope implementations he could have chosen from. But instead he implements a system that is not only a pain to use for mappers but also completely unplayable. No, thank you!

(And after playing this map for a few minutes I deleted Risen3D again. Not worth keeping IMO.)

Graf Zahl said:

Unfortunately I don't get Risen3D to work properly due to the totally screwed up launcher but what I have seen from this map doesn't really convince me. Sure, the graphics are nice but where's the gameplay? Like some people before me already said it is basically a collection of underdetailed rooms which are overstuffed with monsters. It was no fun playing this map, partly due to the weak gameplay but also due to the horrible slope physics of the engine. I don't get it. The programmer had 2 ports with working slope implementations he could have chosen from. But instead he implements a system that is not only a pain to use for mappers but also completely unplayable. No, thank you!
(And after playing this map for a few minutes I deleted Risen3D again. Not worth keeping IMO.)

I have totally no problem with Risen3D on my system, it works phenomenal.

Maybe it is time to buy an new computer.

And if you stopped playing after an few minutes then you cant have game-play,

Greetings.

Edit: The slopes are working perfect, but if you don't know how to make them yourself in risen3D.
Then the problem is by yourself.
And if they don't look OK on your system then you must really buy an new computer.

I could not get this running properly at all. I downloaded Risen3D, and spent almost 15 minutes just trying to figure out its horrid launcher. It looks as though it was designed by Michael J. Hardy himself. After much frustration I finally managed to get it running, but apparently not properly, as there didn't appear to be any models at all, and I saw no way to turn them on either. So I decided to try and play the map anyway. I ended up sumbling along, running into random invisible barriers (which I guess is where models were supposed to be) all the time. The map's architecture without models was.. quite boring. The choice in music is.. strange, and the gameplay was eh as well.

Perhaps I could have enjoyed this map more had the models actually worked, but I don't see how that'd help the gameplay much.

sitters said:

I have totally no problem with Risen3D on my system, it works phenomenal.

Maybe it is time to buy an new computer.

Greetings.

Maybe it's time to build better levels.

Sorry, I couldn't resist to make that remark. You sound as if you felt personally offended by our criticism but such remarks are totally uncalled for.

Anyway, my computer is fine. But Risen3D is so painful to use that I needed to read the launcher's manual first to launch your level and even then didn't get the models to show up. I prefer the simplicity of other ports where you either drag your WAD on the icon or can start it from the command line.

But having to use an installer first and even then not being able to start it without further hassle - and even after getting it to start it still doesn't run properly is a really big negative in my book.

@Agent Spork: That perfectly mirrors my experience with Risen3D. The launcher is a truly dismal piece of shit.

Agentsprok: Hm, I never tried Risen3d yet. But that perfectly mirrors my experience when I tried to play one of Sitters doomsday maps.

I got an script error:

Script error,"SNDINFO"line 16:Ambient type ONCE undefined

I guess im using an old version of Risen3d, argh now I have to get the newest version.
I hate this crap.

AgentSpork said:

I ended up sumbling along, running into random invisible barriers (which I guess is where models were supposed to be) all the time.

Hmm... I kept running into invisible barriers too... But I figured it wasn't the models fault since I saw the modeled Barrels just fine. Is there supposed to be more than just barrel models?

I'm sorry to say my experience with Risen3D 2.0 (and previous versions) is somewhat similar to AgentSpork's and Graf Zahl's.

The first time I tried to play this PWAD I got the exact same results as AgentSpork (that was after I spent 10 mins trying to figure out why it wouldn't work. In the end I simply disabled music completely).

Turns out that the "complete" installation package on the Risen3D homepage is anything but. After I installed the model package (link in /Downloads) I finally managed to play this PWAD correctly.

The launcher doesn't work correctly for me. It constantly "forgets" the paths to my IWADs so each time I try to play I need to find them again. What compounds the problem is that once it DOES know where they are - I then can't play ANY map as the launcher apparently can't find any (even in DOOM.wad!) - so once again I need to restart the launcher (anyone notice a potential paradox?)

BTW - Install EXE's should not be used for a PWAD ever! Surely you can just put it all in a ZIP?

Doomsday uses a similar setup to Risen3D (Engine & bespoke launcher) but try installing the latest Doomsday 1.8.6 binaries (available at http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=74815) and notice how much easier it is to setup and play than Risen3D.

I'm not saying that the way Risen3D is distributed and executed is wrong but the way it is implemented makes the whole process a nightmare.

@Scuba Steve:

Yes, there are. The barrels are just replacements for the regular barrels and showed up. I bet the level would look considerably better if it started up properly (but that wouldn't help with the gameplay. Even with improved visuals it's still not a good map.)

But the rest of them was missing completely because either Risen3D is unable to load resources properly or because this level was improperly configured. Judging from kristus's post I guess it's the level not the port.

But the launcher is still shit.

I completely disagree with the nay sayers. Sitters made a map for Risen3d, so he SHOULD, yes, he SHOULD use models, fancy stuff that Risen 3d offers mappers to use. If Sitters wanted to make a map for Doom, he wouldn't have used models. This is not a Doom map, it's a Risen3d map (yes I know, it's a doom source port).

I personally love what Sit is doing with his maps, it's (for me) cool to realise it's "teh old doom engine sourceport" when playing through such levels that almost resemble modern games in quality (big almost though now that the industry is progressing so fast). If you people want simple maps, as some advised here, go play simple maps. He ain't gonna change his mapping style because some people dislike it. Get over it. (no intention in putting words to Sit's mouth, though)

If you had read this thread you might have noticed that the major complaint was the gameplay. Risen3D features or not, models or not, if a map doesn't play well it isn't good. No eye candy and no detail can change that simple fact and nobody can tell me that it isn't possible to build maps that have modern looking graphics and good gameplay (although modern games often make me believe that they are mutually exclusive. :( )

Without models you cant play the level, because all switches, open doors of cases for ammo, and more are models.

If you don't have models you cant play the level.

How can you open an door that you cant see ?

If you only see barrels then you see nothing, and cant play the level.

And if you cant play the level you cannot judge the game-play.

Greetings

Just played your map sitters, I had to dowload the newest version of R3d and the model pack to get it to run properly.
But it looked nice your pretty good with making models, I found it to be pretty hard alot of hitscan monsters at the start.

Well, I finally got it working properly. I downloaded the model packs as DaniJ mentioned earlier, which (for whatever reason) fixed things. I didn't download the model packs because I didn't think they would be necessary (in fact, I don't see why they are, exactly).

This did actually help things a bit in the gameplay department. It's definitely an improvement over the map last of yours I played (that city map with HL2 textures). I don't particularly like crawling through vents (which I've found you have to do quite a few times throughout the map).

It's a fairly decent map overall, but the frustration of getting Risen3D working properly overweighed the enjoyment I got out of this level.

You do need the model pack, otherwise there are no definitions files (.ded files ).

without this files Risen3D don't work properly.

greetings.

dutch devil said:

Just played your map sitters, I had to dowload the newest version of R3d and the model pack to get it to run properly.
But it looked nice your pretty good with making models, I found it to be pretty hard alot of hitscan monsters at the start.

Dutch

I know you like it hard.

Greetings