Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Kristian Ronge

Extremal Doom Demo Pack

Very nice, Graham! Too bad you weren't as lucky with that lift as you were in your last run. Can't have it all, I guess.

I did E3M7 UV speed in 1:23 and UV max in 3:19, in an effort to further complete the tables and wrap this one up. What do you say? Isn't it about time? I've made a list in my first post with the currently fastest UV speed and max runs for the WAD. Only a few more to go, and we have a full pack!

EDIT: I should point out that a glide may be possible at the end of E3M7 (past the 30-second bars). I haven't gotten it to work, but someone else might!

I agree it would be nice to see this completed in some fashion, though I doubt I'll be able to contribute very much myself for the next month and a half.

But feel free to propose a cut-off date to get things wrapped up, and a "minimum requirement" for that.

Here's a table-filler for E3M2 Max: x3t2-308.zip . I didn't do Speed because I don't have the twisted mindset that can find new tricks and shortcuts. The only thing that came to mind was a rocket jump to grab the blue key early but that doesn't seem to work.

Kristian's glide idea for E3M7 Speed works: x3t7-105.zip - a messy demo but the glide is very doable despite it being at the end.

The third glide in E1M7 mentioned by Grazza in his readme also works but I found it borderline-impossible. I managed to record myself doing it in -nomonsters just for the record: x1t7m229.zip

Looked at the gaps in uvmax table ... Haven't known the maps so well so I chose randomly ... E3M4. It was pretty good fun so I am surprised this one hasn't been recorded yet ... oh and time of my first exit (maybe 10 tries) is 3:52.

Kristian Ronge said:
E3M5 UV speed in 0:55.

Heh, that "argh!" ending with the Baron made me laugh. Demos like that are worth saving.

I agree :) btw. I tried that map and got 4:42 max quite easily, it will go better I hope.

Keeping the thread alive :-)

I did E1M8 UV speed in 0:44, and E1M8 UV max in 0:45.

The UV speed is pretty pointless, as it's just a maxrun with two "missed" imps, but I didn't mind doing it anyway. :-)

Gusta, where are your E3M5 and E3M3 demos?

Hello:) I did E1M1 NM run in 1:27 and sent it to Opulent. It was my first succesful exit, I guess about 1:10 could be possible, but I was quite nervous at the end, so it is rather slower.

Kristian Ronge said:

E1M3 UV speed (secret exit) in 1:14. Okay demo apart from the end.

There's a little shortcut right near the start that you're not using. I could have sworn I mentioned it before, but maybe I just thought of doing so.

Anyway, to get to the first switch you've no need to run over the pillars with the imps and the baron on them. You can use the entrance to the corridor with the bars and the caco as a step and get to the switch directly. Not at all difficult and somewhat shorter.

Well yesterday I looked at some undone maps and recorded:
E2M7 in 3:29
E3M6 in 5:19
E3M8 in 5:57 :-/
Then became bored with studying those remaining maps and gave some play on E3M9 so I did:
tyson in 1:19
max in 0:49

E3M8 ... decided not to send it yet. I didn't like to play that map so much but I think I should do better demo than that one.

Kristian: Would be cool to see E2M7 speed without killing cyber. I kinda haven't managed it yet :-) And even started to think that killing him would result faster.

I agree that it would be fantastic to see. If you're thinking of speedrunning E2M7 there are a few shortcuts (outside of the ones you use in the max run): linedef 345 -- the one that opens up the final area -- can be activated from below, and the 30-second door could be skipped (although it would be very hard to do so). A map10/E1M3 styled glide may be possible at the end to avoid triggering the 30-second-door linedef, too.

also some tablefiller speedruns:
E2M5 - 0:56 (secret exit)
E2M7 - 1:44 :-))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))
E3M4 - 1:49

Great work, man! That E2M7 time sounds fantastic. :-)

EDIT: Just finished watching it. Without a doubt the hardest map in the whole WAD to speed... What a lovely demo! :-D
Thanks for making E2M5s, too. I had a crappy 1:09 run from February or something which I didn't want to upload for obvious reasons.

EDIT # 2: I did E1M2 UV speed in 1:29. Just loaded it up, and did it on the third attempt. Not super speedy, but not too shabby, either. I'm going to a hockey game now, so I'll post it later. :-)

Gusta said:

E2M7 - 1:44 :-))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

Any particular reason you were using Boom compatibility here? Assuming it wasn't just by accident, I imagine it was because you were getting desyncs (x2t7shit.lmp does desync, for instance). If so, the reason for that is related to the curiosity you mention about the cyber getting crushed by the stairs sometimes.

Boom made some changes in the way stairbuilding can crush monsters. An incompatibility has only recently been fixed (mostly*) in prboom-plus, in version 2.4.6.1:

[-] PrBoom bug: Fix compatibility issue with building stairs. There is no more desync on icarus.wad/ic29uv.lmp
So if you use the current version, you will be able to record a Doom.exe compat demo that shouldn't desync, and use the cyber crushing a bit (or a lot) more reliably. This could help with a Max (or even a Tyson maybe) too.

--------------------
<small>* It is still possible to construct cases where Doom(2).exe's behaviour isn't emulated, but I haven't come across a "naturally occurring" problem yet, in the course of testing something like 1000 demos since this fix. Edit: that testing has not yet included systematically testing all compet-n demos, which, as Andrey indicates later in this thread, would turn up at least one case. The basic point is that it is significantly improved, even if not perfect. If you want to be *completely* safe, use vanilla, or maybe Chocolate.</small>