Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ZERO99

i am noob! help me plz!

ok i have a few questions i am very new to doom wad editing and i have some questions because i am strugling trying to get all the map issues i have ironed out.

first of all is there like a list of the names of all the defalt doom 2 and 1 textures i only know of STARTAN2 and 3

second when i was making a map of mine it tells me some sectors arn't closed (i use doom builder) how can i make it closed? i have played around trying to fix it for a few days.
HELP!

If you use DoomBuilder, I can't really understand your problem with textures. What's the matter, you only see two of them?

And about closing sectors: each sector has to be a single or a set of closed geomtry figures. Each sector can have only one height & texture for floor and only one for ceiling.

If you happen to find out that your sectors seem to be closed in the editor, I would suggest moving some of them around (with a drag-drop). Most probably you have some sectors or lines copied and not appropriately joined.

(I'm still telling that DB ain't the best editor for newbs)

thx for the reply i will check the textures of the sectors that arn't closing.

the first question was is there a list of the names of all the textures. in DB i havn't seen a list of them i only know the ones that the guide told me to use and it was STARTAN2 and STARTAN3

n/m i got the sectors to close i achuwally scraped using doom builder and i am now using windeu!

ZERO99 said:

achuwally

Typo of the week.

But, all grammar aside, good luck on your Doom project!

ZERO99 said:

thx for the reply i will check the textures of the sectors that arn't closing.

the first question was is there a list of the names of all the textures. in DB i havn't seen a list of them i only know the ones that the guide told me to use and it was STARTAN2 and STARTAN3

Doombuilder hide textures your wad doesn't use. If you want to see ALL the textures in doombuilder, hit tab when you are in the texture browser.

Seriously, windeu is just bad. Give doombuilder a second chance. Also make sure you have 1.66 of doombuilder and not 1.67

Regarding drawing and making maps, all Doom editors work more or less the same way. There is only 1 editor I know of that could be considered "better for newbies" and that's WadAuthor. It's the only editor that uses a different (simplified) approach for drawing.

If you want to try version 1.66 of Doom Builder (version 1.67 is unstable) take a look at this topic.

CodeImp said:

Regarding drawing and making maps, all Doom editors work more or less the same way. There is only 1 editor I know of that could be considered "better for newbies" and that's WadAuthor. It's the only editor that uses a different (simplified) approach for drawing.

If you want to try version 1.66 of Doom Builder (version 1.67 is unstable) take a look at this topic.

I was using v1.67 of Doom Builder for quite a long time until I saw your topic in which you posted a link to v1.66. I switched back to 1.66 and I must say, though it is more "stable", I really miss some of the features of 1.67 and I am actually thinking of going back to 1.67 again.

WOW THX FOR ALL THE SUPORT YOUR GIVING ME!!!(i amreally thank full!)

i have swtiched back to doom builder and got the 1.66

ill post more if i have anymore problems!

im stuck with map editing too, I just want to play around and figure it out for myself. Im sure it cant be that hard, can someone send me a easy map to start off with that i can go from there, ive tried even drawing the boxs but that wont work

There is a drawing tutorial in the Doom Builder Manual which guides you through building a tiny map with a door and teleports.

i am still having troubles with geting sectors close but in my maps i have defantly lowered the number of them but i am still trying!

WAD making is defeantly takes alot of perserverance!

also anyone got any good like edititors for like custom sounds and sprites etc.

BlackAsDaNight said:

im stuck with map editing too, I just want to play around and figure it out for myself. Im sure it cant be that hard, can someone send me a easy map to start off with that i can go from there, ive tried even drawing the boxs but that wont work

Sure, I could send you some of my very old maps. They don't include anything fancy, so if you just look closely to how they are built, you'll get the hang of it almost insantly.

Is your e-m@il valid?

ZERO99 said:

i have a map and there is no issues but it wont run still :@:@ whats wrong with it?

Does the editor / game tell you anything?

AHHA! I FOUND THE PROBLEM!! the problem was that i was naming the map somting weird and not MAP01 so yea i fixed that now i just need to learn how to make custom weapons and menus etc.

ellmo said:

Sure, I could send you some of my very old maps. They don't include anything fancy, so if you just look closely to how they are built, you'll get the hang of it almost insantly.

Is your e-m@il valid?

Does the editor / game tell you anything?

Ive just emaile ur address with my email address, thanks a lot :-)

ZERO99 said:

AHHA! I FOUND THE PROBLEM!! the problem was that i was naming the map somting weird and not MAP01 so yea i fixed that now i just need to learn how to make custom weapons and menus etc.

The best lessons are, when you find out something yourself.

But you should understand that even if the file is named MAP01.wad, it may contain a map that has a different number, or even it's for Ultimate Doom.
pwad names =! lump(files inside the wad) names

i have current made 2 working maps for clan i am now looking to make custom menus and weapons and HUDs ETC. what programs would you say is the easyest to use. Also leave tuts on how to use them or do it.

yet again THX FOR ALL THE HELP YOU GUYS RULE!

can some one tell me or give me a web site on how to use xwe. i want to make some custom weapons and sounds and things like that but dont know how to use this program.

can some one give me a link or explane to me how to use xwe to make weapons and like title pictures to place them in the wad and make them work.

i would be very thankfull

another question ok i am trying out whacked2 and i want to change the pistol to another one i have made how do i switch the picture???

The Picture? You should be more precise.
For some reason whacked doesnt let me add anything....

yet again i have figured it out my self. i just named the picture (what i ment was weapon) the name of it like the pistol you name and stages like the pistol just normal PISGA0

CodeImp said:

If he were able to run pure dos, DCK would be exceptionally easy for new people. its what I started on, and had very little trouble other than bugs in early versions. (but any editor is subject to that)

hey you now how there is 3 sky textures?? how do you get them to be a sky?? there just acting like normal wall textures right now when i make my maps so i am left with F_SKY3 to use and its geting old fast!!

In order to use the different sky textures, you'd have to use F_SKY1 flat, and make the map for a different map number that corresponds with doom2's 'episode' set. If I remember, maps 1-10 used the brown sky, maps 11-20 used the city sky, and maps 21-32 used the hell sky.

Or if you want to get creative, you could use either Eternity or Zdoom to specify new sky textures using MAPINFO lumps (not editable through doombuilder, don't ask). Both also let you make Skyboxes, and won't have to worry about MAPINFO then.

i know about the episode skys. looks like what i want to do is not posible. oh well it was still worth a try

You can use Zdoom with the MAPINFO lump to dictate each sky for each individual level. Map format doesn't matter with this. As long as you are using Zdoom as your port. Other ports might also have something similar.