Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tormentor667

"Ultimate Torment & Torture" Progress Report

Okay, I am free again, so let's continue with some progress reports and also a small sort of "Quiz" for you guys here!

First at all, all the old screenshots from the now closed thread:

And now 3 new screenshots for your viewing pleasuer:

So about the progress on UTNT itself: The resources are completely compiled and TNT1 is about 90% finished, next is TNT2 then. But now I need some answers and ideas and suggestions from you doomers to get a better control of things to come in the UTNT, because this will be the final installment of the series and I am not going to create a TNT5 or something similar in a few weeks again. So this time, everything must be perfect!

The questions mainly focus on the old TNTs and I'd be happy if some TNT fans or even persons that hate TNT give me as many answers as possible, so I know what to improve and what to change, and what to leave as it is. Don't concentrate on answers like "[..] had unbalanced gameplay, not enough ammo, too many monsters" because this is something I already know and what's going to be improved!

1) What did you like about TNT1?
2) What did you hate about TNT1 and how would you improve this?
3) What special thing (eastereggs, surprises, new areas, new monsters, whatever you have in mind) would you like to see in a revamped TNT1?
4) What did you like about TNT2?
5) What did you hate about TNT2 and how would you improve this?
6) What special thing (eastereggs, surprises, new areas, new monsters, whatever you have in mind) would you like to see in a revamped TNT2?
7) What did you like about TNT3?
8) What did you hate about TNT3 and how would you improve this?
9) What special thing (eastereggs, surprises, new areas, new monsters, whatever you have in mind) would you like to see in a revamped TNT3?
10) What did you like about TNTLE?
11) What did you hate about TNTLE and how would you improve this?
12) What special thing (eastereggs, surprises, new areas, new monsters, whatever you have in mind) would you like to see in a revamped TNTLE?
13) On a scale from 1(baby easy) to 10(ridicolous hard), were would TNT1,TNT2,TNT3 and TNTLE be?
14) Did you like TNT3's flamethrower? Would you like to have another new weapon and/or the flamethrower be accessable more often?

So this should be enough, thx for your interest :)

The thing I hated in the entire series more than anything else was the railgun zombie. If you do use them again at least tone down the damage a bit.

Ichor said:

The thing I hated in the entire series more than anything else was the railgun zombie. If you do use them again at least tone down the damage a bit.

It's just used in TNTLE :) But be sure, I will tone it down!

I've only really played TNT3. And the things I didn't like with it was that it had really unintresting gameplay. No surprices at all.
The monsters were always at a disadvantage to you. You could basically just take them out one by one.

The arachnotrons are particularly useless, because they are almost always behind something that they can't fire through, but you can pick them off w/o even moving an inch. Had been better if they had been chaingunners.

I am probably the only one in the world who am gonna say this though. But I like stealth monsters. But the way you used them was not to my liking, the stealth arch vile could just aswell had been a regular arch vile since it didn't really have any way to make you loose track of it. (open arena where you are in the strong spot and it are in the middle of it)

The stealth demons were nice though. They actually caught me by surprice. But that was the only time in the entire map.

The level design was pretty ordinary and didn't really lift any eyebrowses, not layout nor architecture. But it looked good enough and I liked the mine area.

I liked the secrets on the boxes. I jumped from the sloped pillar-foot to get the soulsphere, and really liked that. But later noticed that you could get it much much easier from a window after you killed the arch-vile, which I liked less (because it made it less of a secret to get it).

I liked the snow too.

I had preffered if the heretic and hexen monsters hadn't used ANY resources from the raven games, as it made them easily recognizable as heretic and hexen monsters. Made them a bit out of place. But they were a nice addition to the flora.

Ooh, that part, the slow themed one. Yeah I remember that, would of been interesting if there was a part where you had to melt a path through a large block of ice to get to the other side, though that does seem pretty much impossible to do. :/

7) What did you like about TNT3?
[/i][/B]

The setting and the snow.

8) What did you hate about TNT3 and how would you improve this?[/i][/B]

Hard battles in cramped spaces. Enlarge areas where there's too many monsters. Provide the player with shotgun (per sniping weapon) AND chaingun (per hard combat weapon) at the beginning, add pillars/corners for the player to hide behind from enemy fire etc.

9) What special thing (eastereggs, surprises, new areas, new monsters, whatever you have in mind) would you like to see in a revamped TNT3?
[/i][/B]

Dopefish lawl

10) What did you like about TNTLE?
[/i][/B]

The setting, music, new monsters.

11) What did you hate about TNTLE and how would you improve this?[/i][/B]

Same as TNT3 (that and railgun zombies).

12) What special thing (eastereggs, surprises, new areas, new monsters, whatever you have in mind) would you like to see in a revamped TNTLE?
[/i][/B]

Dopefish, lawl.

14) Did you like TNT3's flamethrower? Would you like to have another new weapon and/or the flamethrower be accessable more often?[/i][/B]

Great weapon. Especially for groups of enemies. Quick killer for Arachnotrons and Mancubi. More flamethrower and add a BFG 15000 using the Wraithverge's or Bloodscourge's behavior.

Nmn said:

Hard battles in cramped spaces. Enlarge areas where there's too many monsters. Provide the player with shotgun (per sniping weapon) AND chaingun (per hard combat weapon) at the beginning, add pillars/corners for the player to hide behind from enemy fire etc.

Did we play the same level?

Some information from zdoom forum

Author: Tormentor667
Read the F.A.Q. before asking something!

Q: Do you return to Doomworld?
A: No! Community is full of retards, most of them in a leading position over there, I don't like this place, it is hostile, stay away!

Kristian Ronge said:

Are you trying to pick a fight, Andrey?

Uhm, he was merely stating the fact that Tormentor made perfectly clear that he didn't intend to return to Doomworld, and then did. Although, it was rather unnessesary since Tormentor just before stating that said that he would leave the Doom community and was away for what I recall was a whole day. And then he returned.

But, who cares anyway?

@kristus - It was actually about 2 months, and thats a long time in which I tried to wait until things have calmed down. Beyond, I didn't say, that everyone here is a retard, but unfortunately a huge number of users are in my eyes conc. childish and hostile behaviour against the whole KDiZD team (yes, that KDiZD flamewar, blabla, not gonna start that again now!), and that huge number mostly consists of users that are already banned for their behaviour over at the ZDoom.org forums.

Neverthelesss: Progress report!
Fear the (mostly underestimated) power of Stacked Sectors in ZDoom:

(another perspective, 20 minutes later and more detail)
It's impressive how these stacked sectors can enhance the whole atmosphere of a before absolutely simple room, that should be used quite oftener in ZDoom/GZDoom maps!

Tormentor667 said:

that should be used quite oftener in ZDoom/GZDoom maps!

Heh. GZDoom has 3D floors. Who would use stacks?

ellmo said:

Oh yeah, thats true, but honestly, most mappers like to keep ZDoom+ compatibility and second it's hard to handle all the 3DFloor subsectors and stuff if you want to have such an architecture as shown in the above two shots, that I just want to be there for visual pleasuer, you know? So I don't think 3DFloors will ever replace Stacked Sectors.

ellmo said:

Doing some things with portals (or as zdoom prefers to call them, "stacked sectors") can be quite a lot easier and less time consurming than doing it using 3D floors. There are also some instances where it would be the opposite of that. It's useful to have them both as they both have their positive and negative aspects.

After playing TNT3 again, it seems that ZDoom .98 doesn't like the new weapon. Once I select another weapon, I can't reselect it no matter what I do.

Tormentor667 said:

@kristus - It was actually about 2 months, and thats a long time in which I tried to wait until things have calmed down.

My mistake.

Tormentor667 said:

Neverthelesss: Progress report!
Fear the (mostly underestimated) power of Stacked Sectors in ZDoom:

It's impressive how these stacked sectors can enhance the whole atmosphere of a before absolutely simple room, that should be used quite oftener in ZDoom/GZDoom maps!

I thought noone used them because they were so poorly written that you just kept getting HOMs with them in Zdoom. Which is what I've experienced in every map I've played that used them for anything like what you are showing off here.

Ichor said:

After playing TNT3 again, it seems that ZDoom .98 doesn't like the new weapon. Once I select another weapon, I can't reselect it no matter what I do.

I had that problem back when the map first came out. I remember thinking the flamethrower was kinda cool for what little amount of time I was able to use it (untill I had to change weapons and couldn't figure out how to switch back to it again).

I thought noone used them because they were so poorly written that you just kept getting HOMs with them in Zdoom. Which is what I've experienced in every map I've played that used them for anything like what you are showing off here.

That's pretty much been my experience with ZDoom's portals thus far. I haven't been able to use them even for the simplest of things without them causing giant HOMs whenever walking out of a room or what have you.

Anyways, I don't mean to get off topic..

I've found Eternity's portals to be much more powerful, as I have hardly run into such problems.

Ichor said:

Infact, the keyconf file is borked. Put this into it (like via XWE)

weaponsection "TNT3-New Weapons"

setslot 6 CWeapFlame PlasmaRifle
(weapon names is case sensi)

ellmo said:

Not pimping Gzdoom ofcourse, but it has improved stacked sectors rendering (less buggy).